Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Lebanese Style

Martian

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Good Lord...what sort of army is this?:shrug:

The Queen's Own Light and Bitters, or possibly The Royal Green Chartreuse Jackets; both noble regiments of dypsomaniac renown who responded badly to last orders....

• Haha 6

The Queen's Own Light and Bitters, or possibly The Royal Green Chartreuse Jackets; both noble regiments of dypsomaniac renown who responded badly to last orders...

Only beaten to the bar by the Irish Cream Guards,  Gordon Gin Highlanders, Yorkshire Bitter Regiment and Heineken Light Infantry. Of course my boss, Sir Dougie Haig wasn't averse to a triple/tipple or two... 

• Haha 5

I have hit an unexpected snag. I can find a picture of part of the bomb bay door mechanism but not the whole item, even the manuals do not help in this respect. Can anyone help with a picture of the bomb bay that might show the required feature? I can doubtless come up with something convincing but having got this far, I would obviously rather get it right.

In other news, today I discovered that I have missed some pretty important structural members from the fuselage. The good news is that, although time consuming, it should be a relatively straightforward job to add them.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

While waiting on possible lead as to the bomb door mechanism, I decided to knuckle down and add the structure that I recently discovered that I had missed. I thought about giving it a miss but it is quite visible through th waist gun windows and the fuselage door. I had of course forgotten that additional bracing was needed in the area where the ventral gondola necessitates a break in the lattice work structure of the fuselage. The work was not that difficult to carry out, though cutting the individual braces to the exact size was rather time consuming. I reckon that I have one more session to finish of the odds and ends of the fuselage and it will be ready to go to paint.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

• Like 14

45 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Looking at that, these must have been fun to build. Start at the back and work your way forward until you get to the door.

Then, Vino time! Caio Bella!

They were no big deal Pete, it was just a matter of taking time to ensure every one fitted properly. Apart from the fact that it was ale rather than vino time, your exhortation was spot on. Spooky (in best Scooby Doo voice)! 

Martian 👽 

• Like 3

Hi Martian

Cracking work fella. The interior work looks very impressive and the engines and props look lovely. I am on a bit of a flying visit this weekend as under pressure to get more work on the house done as plastering has now commenced and I need to stay ahead of them.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Martian

Cracking work fella. The interior work looks very impressive and the engines and props look lovely. I am on a bit of a flying visit this weekend as under pressure to get more work on the house done as plastering has now commenced and I need to stay ahead of them.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Martian 👽

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Superb work on that internal frameworkery Martian. A plastic cathedral in the making!

Thanks your Baronesship, the extra bracing does look like buttresses. 

30 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Well doesn’t that look splendid. :clap2:really great work Oh tentacled one. 👾

Johnny

You are too kind Earthling.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

the extra bracing does look like buttresses. 

Exactly what I said to the Memsahib this morning...

The ironmongery is coming on apace Martian...great job, particularly on those coathangers....you know, those Eyetalians really had a real sense of style and panache, not only providing individually appointed WCs for the crew but also somewhere to hang their Armanis while reigning death and destruction upon everything, except the target (allegedly).

• Haha 3

On 3/1/2019 at 2:16 AM, general melchett said:

Only beaten to the bar by the Irish Cream Guards,  Gordon Gin Highlanders, Yorkshire Bitter Regiment and Heineken Light Infantry. Of course my boss, Sir Dougie Haig wasn't averse to a triple/tipple or two... 

If we're talking races to the bar, how can you possibly leave out the Pint o' Heavy Artillery, Da-Rum Light Infantry, or Australian White Horse!

I had heard that Baldrick applied to join the Black Watch because he thought he qualified, only to find out that he had misheard the word watch and thought it was actually referring to part of his anatomy.

Btw, what's that plastic doing here? Beautiful work though, nonetheless.

• Haha 6

48 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Btw, what's that plastic doing here? Beautiful work though, nonetheless.

I just put that in for a bit of a joke! :clown:

Martian the Jester 👽

• Haha 3

Or indeed the Grandmarnier Guards, The Coors-Light Infantry, Sherwood Fosters and Camerons Scottish Trifles...As for Bladricks misunderstanding, well quite understandable really....apparently he also wanted to join the Buffs, Hell to pay when he turned up at the recruitment office, wearing nowt but a gormless grin and a big tin of polish!

• Haha 6

33 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Or indeed the Grandmarnier Guards, The Coors-Light Infantry, Sherwood Fosters and Camerons Scottish Trifles...As for Bladricks misunderstanding, well quite understandable really....apparently he also wanted to join the Buffs, Hell to pay when he turned up at the recruitment office, wearing nowt but a gormless grin and a big tin of polish!

One is given to wonder what the General was wearing when he turned up at Sandhurst as a spotty young ociffer cadet?

7 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

A veritable palace of white styrene! Be still my heart!    💗

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, I must admit that I have been getting a bit worried as to the effect this orgy of white styrene might be having on your ticker.

Martian👽

• Haha 1

One is given to wonder what the General was wearing when he turned up at Sandhurst as a spotty young ociffer cadet?

Answer...officer cadet intake, Sandhurst August 1897. We fitted in perfectly. Sir Douglas Haig, Kaiser Wilhelm and a very young Winston Churchill are in their somewhere.

11:29%201976_RBBBC_Alleys.jpg

Note, the future labour minister for frightening children Sir I.T. Pennywise top centre.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

This was obviously taken after the punch up for who got which bunk in the barracks.

The Sergeant told them to kiss and make up, and look what happened!

BTW, Is that young Bob in there on the second row?

• Haha 2

Hello Martian. Looking really busy  and fine so far. Great work.

Btw: I was and have been alwas a  (maybe too) fast headline reader on news, so several mishaps can happen on the first read. Everytime I look quickly at your thread with a star and not a point on the front of that  I read "SM.79 Lesbian Style". Oh, something is going wrong here now, I think.😲 Cheers

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

Answer...officer cadet intake, Sandhurst August 1897. We fitted in perfectly. Sir Douglas Haig, Kaiser Wilhelm and a very young Winston Churchill are in their somewhere.

11:29%201976_RBBBC_Alleys.jpg

Note, the future labour minister for frightening children Sir I.T. Pennywise top centre.

I see from the gap above the General's head, Darling was late on parade.

44 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Is that young Bob in there on the second row?

Not sure but I have spotted the future General bottom row second from left.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Hello Martian. Looking really busy  and fine so far. Great work.

Btw: I was and have been alwas a  (maybe too) fast headline reader on news, so several mishaps can happen on the first read. Everytime I look quickly at your thread with a star and not a point on the front of that  I read "SM.79 Lesbian Style". Oh, something is going wrong here now, I think.😲 Cheers

Thanks Bbudde. You seem to be in dire need of a new pair of glasses, methinks a visit to the German equivalent of Spec Savers is seriously overdue!

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

You seem to be in dire need of a new pair of glasses, methinks a visit to the German equivalent of Spec Savers is seriously overdue!

Probably, well yes probably!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Probably, well yes probably!

No, definitely! Is there a German optician in the house?

Martian 👽

Not sure but I have spotted the future General bottom row second from left.

The solemn moment following officer selection was captured for posterity by the Kings own photographer, Cecil 'Snapper' Beaton. The class of '97, forever known as 'the backbone of the Empire'... included several prominent members of the Winchester Flower Arranging Team.  (Darling was only there to carry my jumbo squirting sunglasses and luminous red nose).

1-imageproxy.jpg

• Haha 3