Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Lebanese Style

Martian

21 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Yes I totally agree with your decision. But you know me. 🤩🤪🥳

All I can say is MACBETH!

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Be honoured by all the saints of the galaxy Dear ETI !!

You saved my day !!

I'll explain !!

Sincerely.

CC

Happy to help CC. Its a common mistake, probably due to the close proximity of the two airfields.

22 hours ago, Moa said:

Any use by extraterrestrials I am afraid voids the warranty.

I thought it might.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Varnish has now been applied and is now drying in anticipation of decals either tomorrow (preferably) or Wednesday (not preferably as I am getting impatient). I shall advise as to how we stand tomorrow. What's that! @Moa has gone into hiding?

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Varnish has now been applied and is now drying in anticipation of decals either tomorrow (preferably) or Wednesday (not preferably as I am getting impatient). I shall advise as to how we stand tomorrow. What's that! @Moa has gone into hiding?

Martian 👽

Nevah!

I stand by my word!

I have used those decals in many, many models, including more civilized versions (for Airfix and Italeri kits) of this very plane!

And the first one names you!

Reconsider! you still have time, it will be no effort: you will only have to make a completely new model!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Moa said:

Nevah!

I stand by my word!

I have used those decals in many, many models, including more civilized versions (for Airfix and Italeri kits) of this very plane!

And the first one names you!

Reconsider! you still have time, it will be no effort: you will only have to make a completely new model!

In the less than a month before SMW? With me modelling at the speed of a Space Sloth who's feeling a bit lethargic and not up to his normal speed?

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

What the sub-title says really. The decals fought me to the bitter end. The cheat lines needed a bit of chopping about. This is fair enough as they are designed for the Italerii kit and I expected this and I made any shortfall up with assorted width of black decal strip. What really threw me though was that they steadfastly refused to react to any of five brands of solvent that I tried on them. I finally got somewhere by using the low setting on a hair dryer. 

I used some of the chrome sheet you get with the decals to do the natural metal rear of the collector rings and am pretty chuffed with how they came out. Next up is a small amount of touching up and I will get everything sealed in with a coat of clear.

Incidentally, does any of our resident brainboxes know why the Western style serial has a hyphen and the Arabic not? It looks really odd to me but I keep checking and every picture shows it was the way it is depicted on the model and is indeed on the restored museum example. Just curious or is it that it offends my sense of symmetry?.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

s24.jpg

s25.jpg

s26.jpg

s27.jpg

s28.jpg

• Like 20

Positively otherworldly in those colours and markings.

Beautiful work Martian. :clap2:

The hyphen thing might be to with things like & and " symbols being Latin and European conventions, as opposed to those of Arabic script.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

why the Western style serial has a hyphen and the Arabic not?

Arabic writing is a phonetic thing. You say what you read. 

The guys I worked with in Saudi spoke and wrote English very well, but couldn't see the point of the apostrophe as I've just used it.

There are little dots, usually in pairs, or squiggles, over some written Arabic words, but they work rather like the German Umlaut and change the pronunciation of certain letters. 

• Thanks 4

Pete: where have you used an apostrophe?  I can't see one so can't comment on it "as you have used it",  but surely Arabic has one way of expressing plurals and another way of expressing the possessive?    I've no idea what it is, but it must work somehow.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Pete: where have you used an apostrophe?  I can't see one so can't comment on it "as you have used it",  but surely Arabic has one way of expressing plurals and another way of expressing the possessive?    I've no idea what it is, but it must work somehow.  

In couldn't.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

but surely Arabic has one way of expressing plurals and another way of expressing the possessive?

I've only been back here just over four years but I've forgotten a lot of my Arabic, I'm afraid. I think the plural adds a different sound at the end of the word.

Here's the phonetic difference, for example, between car 'Syerra' and my car 'Syerra tea'. But there are inflections of rolling 'R's" that sound Scottish!

My level of understanding was around that of a three year old. But as with any country, if you try then it is appreciated by the locals.

I do remember I was occasionally get asked about English nouns, adverbs etc by the guys. I tried to help but school was a very long time ago!

I just speak English, I don't necessarily understand it. I must get a copy of that Bill Bryson book again. He explains it so well. Mother tongue?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Your SM79 looks absolutely stunning in those markings 

Roger

Thanks Roger.

Martian 👽

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Positively otherworldly in those colours and markings.

Beautiful work Martian. :clap2:

You are too kind your Baronesship. 

4 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Martian, very nice looking SM. 79.  Nice Le--banese style (got new glasses) and it looks really fine in that paint. Good job on that really old one and nostalgic. one.

Cheers Benedikt

Thanks Benedikt, she could be better but she has long since served her purpose as a mojo restorer.

2 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Nice paint job. Glad you got the decals sorted. She's coming along great.

Thanks Thom, at one point I must admit that the shelf of doom was fast approaching.

Incidentally, does anybody know what this "Featured" star appearing next to this thread means? Is it some sort of warning to those who value their sanity?

Puzzled of Mars 👽

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

does anybody know what this "Featured" star appearing next to this thread means? Is it some sort of warning to those who value their sanity?

I am afraid you have been flagged by the Men and Women in Black, Martian.

They told you not to eat your neighbours' pets, didn't they?

You Sir (a terrestrial courtesy title) are insatiable, and incorrigible.

You shall build civil models from now on as atonement.

Cheers

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Incidentally, does anybody know what this "Featured" star appearing next to this thread means? Is it some sort of warning to those who value their sanity?

Puzzled of Mars 👽

Yes a warning, "enter at your own risk. we take no responsibility ........" and so on.

I've campaigned to have one by any post you start 😉

Tim

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Thom216 said:

I'd just take it to mean that you are special!😁

Ah, but in a good or bad way? On second thoughts don't answer that!

6 hours ago, Moa said:

I am afraid you have been flagged by the Men and Women in Black, Martian.

They told you not to eat your neighbours' pets, didn't they?

You Sir (a terrestrial courtesy title) are insatiable, and incorrigible.

You shall build civil models from now on as atonement.

Cheers

Insatiable and incorrigible? I have been told that since I first went to school. I always said my teachers didn't know anything.

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Belated catch-up.  Lovely-jubbly.

Thank you your Cripness.

32 minutes ago, clive_t said:

That's polished up beautifully, Mr Martian :thumbsup2:

Thanks Clive.

16 minutes ago, Fishbed said:

Yes a warning, "enter at your own risk. we take no responsibility ........" and so on.

I've campaigned to have one by any post you start 😉

Tim

I thought you might be responsible Tim.

Martian 👽

18 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Arabic writing is a phonetic thing. You say what you read. 

The guys I worked with in Saudi spoke and wrote English very well, but couldn't see the point of the apostrophe as I've just used it.

There are little dots, usually in pairs, or squiggles, over some written Arabic words, but they work rather like the German Umlaut and change the pronunciation of certain letters. 

The dots don't just change the pronunciation of a letter, they change the entire letter. Not quite like German where an umlaut is pronounced the same as adding an e after the vowel to soften it. For example in Arabic the i symbol is pronounced as an n, two dots above it instead of one and it becomes a t. There is also another T which is more emphatic and looks more like a squashed D. Add to that the fact that all letters change slightly at the end of a word, with a little flurry, or curve, added, and in those cases the dots move over to the left so they are no longer over the vertical part of the letter. It takes some getting used to, but I'm gradually learning to read it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

but I'm gradually learning to read it!

More than I did then. I knew the symbol for no (which looks like a rabbits head) but that was about it.

But, I got by. I found that being polite in Arabic went a long way towards happy shopping etc.

• Like 2