Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Lebanese Style

Martian

14 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Lovely result on the windows! I might add that if there are sink marks on the inside of the window it probably won't end so well. (ask me how I know...)

Regards,

Adrian

There were some slight sink marks but as luck would have it they were on the outside. They lost the contest with the Dremmel. 

Martian 👽

• Like 3

Hopefully they'll be empties.

I certainly hope not, we've got the tri-annual Paperclip Collectors and Chair-Stackers, East Midlands Division, annual ball coming up soon and I don't want to be shelling out any more than I have to.

providing the plaster on the far wall holds up we should be done in ten minutes.

That long?....well, she can take it, the old thing's designed to take a heavy pounding...reckon the wall should be OK too...

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, general melchett said:

I certainly hope not, we've got the tri-annual Paperclip Collectors and Chair-Stackers, East Midlands Division, annual ball coming up soon and I don't want to be shelling out any more than I have to.

Not to mention this thread that you have been put in charge of while I am on holiday. :party:

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

Those windows. :thumbsup2:

Excellent excelling your Excellency.

I'll have the plate-captain bring a tray of Gargleblasters to your table presently!

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Not to mention this thread that you have been put in charge of while I am on holiday. :party:

Rest easy dear friend.

Flit gaily on your travels and bask warmly in anticipation of the inspiring psalms and proverbs with which  your tender companions shall adorn your bower!

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Not to mention this thread that you have been put in charge of while I am on holiday. 

A heavy responsibility indeed...to save time, if you'd care to bung the old thing in the post I'll get Baldrick to finish it for you while you're sunning it up on the Cote d'Azur with Sarah Jane and the car, if that'd help.

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Those windows. :thumbsup2:

Excellent excelling your Excellency.

I'll have the plate-captain bring a tray of Gargleblasters to your table presently!

Rest easy dear friend.

Flit gaily on your travels and bask warmly in anticipation of the inspiring psalms and proverbs with which  your tender companions shall adorn your bower!

Thanks your Baronesship. I do think though that expecting to bask warmly in Scotland, aided by palms and proverbs or no, is rather wandering into the realms of fantasy.

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

A heavy responsibility indeed...to save time, if you'd care to bung the old thing in the post I'll get Baldrick to finish it for you while you're sunning it up on the Cote d'Azur with Sarah Jane and the car, if that'd help.

While I am happy (ish) to let you look after my thread while I am away, There is no way Baldrick is getting his hands on my work of art. I may be barking mad as advertised but even I haven't reached completely tonto yet.

Sadly I have to go without Sarah Jane as she broke her starter motor today and It will be a couple of days before a replacement arrives.

Martian 👽

• Haha 1
  • Sad 5

Oh that's a shame, he was rather looking forward to setting about it...he even bought a new angle grinder and lump hammer. Oh well, not a complete loss, he can always use them for his latest hobby......butterfly collecting.

Sadly I have to go without Sarah Jane as she broke her starter motor today 

Sorry to hear about Sarah Janes blown starter motor...I'm sure a few days in hostipal, a Swiss Toni DVD and the odd glass of Chardonnay will have her back on her pins in no time. There's a good bus service to Auld Reekie from Poole I believe, only 14 hours and 17 stops, barring traffic jams and bus driver strikes. 

• Haha 5

On 3/18/2019 at 8:00 AM, Martian Hale said:

Confined to barracks as I am, I decided to make a start on the fuselage transparencies. At this point I feel obliged to advise those of a nervous disposition to look away now. @Heather Kay have you left the room now? You have? Good; then I shall begin. 

The kit parts for the windows of the radio compartment are very thick and a tad oversize to fit properly. However this is not necessarily a bad thing. It was possible to file the edges of the windows down until they were a good but not too tight a fit. The windows were then pushed into place so that they stood proud of the window apertures. This then allowed capillary action to let very thin super goo to flow round the edges of the windows, securing them in place. Now comes the XXX rated bit. Setting my Dremmel to a slowish setting, I then ground down the windows until I judged them to be level with the contours of the fuselage. I followed this with a skinny stick to smooth things down a bit. Some medium viscosity super goo was then spread over the window and adjacent areas of the fuselage, allowed to set and then sanded to ensure there were no gaps betwixt window and fuselage. This now needs to be set aside to allow the glue to cure properly, prior to the windows being Micro Meshed and polished back to clarity. This will be the subject of my next update.

The carpet monster seems to have swallowed the kit part for the port side rear fuselage windows so I am now off to wrap my tentacles around it's throat until it sicks up the said part. The rear fuselage windows will be subject to the above process.

The advantages of the procedure that I have described are that it allows for a really strong joint, thins down parts that are too thick and results in an invisible join when every thing is polished back to clarity.

Thank for looking and those who may have had to leave the room are now safe to return.

Martian 👽

135.jpg

134.jpg

136.jpg

Dear Green One:

I may have in my spare box some transparencies left over from my three transformations of this kit to civil use.

Would they be useful to you?

I ask first because to look for them will imply a dive into regions of my building area that I seldom visit, where creatures lurk and danger looms.

Then I will have to mail them to you, and the package will have to be carried by your local postal system of chariots and then the picturesque men in bicycles that too often stop at pubs en route for a refreshing pint, making the perspective of a prompt arrival unlikely.

Let me know.

The Sanding Stick That Knew Too Much

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Dear Green One:

I may have in my spare box some transparencies left over from my three transformations of this kit to civil use.

Would they be useful to you?

I ask first because to look for them will imply a dive into regions of my building area that I seldom visit, where creatures lurk and danger looms.

Then I will have to mail them to you, and the package will have to be carried by your local postal system of chariots and then the picturesque men in bicycles that too often stop at pubs en route for a refreshing pint, making the perspective of a prompt arrival unlikely.

Let me know.

The Sanding Stick That Knew Too Much

Thank you dear Sanding Stick, PM sent.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moa said:

No PM received yet

Was it sent through the sub-etheric network? mind-control brainwaves message? or through your friends below?

I don't read squiddy/octopussy ink circular messages...yet:

img_1248.jpg

Fret ye not Moa, it was sent in Her Majesty the Queens English. Your Earth keyboards do not yet allow for Martin characters.

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, general melchett said:

attached it to one of the King's carrier pigeons.

Speaking of which, I heard the other day that a certain racing pigeon has been sold to China for about 1,000,000 pounds.

No relation to a certain other critter of that ilk I assume?

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Blue blazes, I turn my back on this thread for a couple of days, which a speed bump in the time reality discontinuim turned into near a week & all of a sudden there's 3 flipping pages to catch up on, sheesh, I 'm knackered now, as well as having experienced a complete sensibility failure. :(  Just as well Martian is taking a break, I think I need one too. I'm a bit scared about what is going to be here on his return though. :D

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Speaking of which, I heard the other day that a certain racing pigeon has been sold to China for about 1,000,000 pounds.

No relation to a certain other critter of that ilk I assume?

It could even be him. He did mention the need to get as far away from a certain general of this parish as possible.

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Blue blazes, I turn my back on this thread for a couple of days, which a speed bump in the time reality discontinuim turned into near a week & all of a sudden there's 3 flipping pages to catch up on, sheesh, I 'm knackered now, as well as having experienced a complete sensibility failure. :(  Just as well Martian is taking a break, I think I need one too. I'm a bit scared about what is going to be here on his return though. :D

Steve.

Fret ye not Steve, the thread is in the tender care of General Melchett and I shall be looking in from time to time. As to sensibility, I thought it had been made clear that you had to leave that at the door when you joined BM. I do wish people would read the small print! Although I will only be able to drop in occasionally, I am comforted in the knowledge that the insanity displayed on this thread has in fact developed a momentum all of it's own and will continue unabated in my absence.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Has he gone yet?

Just arsking...

Not until tonight. We drive up over night.

Martian 👽

• Sad 1

I heard the other day that a certain racing pigeon has been sold to China for about 1,000,000 pounds.

A million smackeroos! good lord, I demand my cut, say 90% for all the years of unnaturally close friendship, training and mental anguish of knowing he was blown to bits and severely killed, (at least once) by the infamous Flanders Pigeon Murderer, Eddie Slackbladder. Thinking on it...I demand a full refund, I accept Paypal and Green Shield stamps.

the thread is in the tender care of General Melchett and I shall be looking in from time to time. 

Don't you be blaming me if things become unglued quickly once you've abdicated. I shall, of course, require recompense...an 18 ltr Melchior of single-malt and a live haggis should hit the spot nicely. 

• Haha 5