Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Lebanese Style

Martian

16 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Dear Alien !!

Mrs Martian is right, Would I still be in refit rest , I would have stand a close watch at your mancave door !!

Perhaps would I have carry on some rocket fuel with me :whistle:

Incentive for you to stay quiet and have a drink !!

...And then floating somewhere too :rofl2::rofl2:

:doh:

Helpfull CC

I'm no good at this sitting around wondering what is going on lark. I'm breaking out tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I believe that's picking up pace about as fast as the Belgian Bobsled team......

Ian

Really? That fast?

Astonished of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Confined to barracks as I am, I decided to make a start on the fuselage transparencies. At this point I feel obliged to advise those of a nervous disposition to look away now. @Heather Kay have you left the room now? You have? Good; then I shall begin. 

The kit parts for the windows of the radio compartment are very thick and a tad oversize to fit properly. However this is not necessarily a bad thing. It was possible to file the edges of the windows down until they were a good but not too tight a fit. The windows were then pushed into place so that they stood proud of the window apertures. This then allowed capillary action to let very thin super goo to flow round the edges of the windows, securing them in place. Now comes the XXX rated bit. Setting my Dremmel to a slowish setting, I then ground down the windows until I judged them to be level with the contours of the fuselage. I followed this with a skinny stick to smooth things down a bit. Some medium viscosity super goo was then spread over the window and adjacent areas of the fuselage, allowed to set and then sanded to ensure there were no gaps betwixt window and fuselage. This now needs to be set aside to allow the glue to cure properly, prior to the windows being Micro Meshed and polished back to clarity. This will be the subject of my next update.

The carpet monster seems to have swallowed the kit part for the port side rear fuselage windows so I am now off to wrap my tentacles around it's throat until it sicks up the said part. The rear fuselage windows will be subject to the above process.

The advantages of the procedure that I have described are that it allows for a really strong joint, thins down parts that are too thick and results in an invisible join when every thing is polished back to clarity.

Thank for looking and those who may have had to leave the room are now safe to return.

Martian 👽

135.jpg

134.jpg

136.jpg

• Like 16

35 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Now comes the XXX rated bit.

Its like one of those films that you know will be extremely scary to watch, but you just can't look away no matter how hard you try..............

I'm all agog with fearful anticipation and a not insignificant touch of modellers angst!

Terry

• Haha 3

Now comes the XXX rated bit, setting my Dremmel to a slowish setting Some medium viscosity super goo was then spread over. I followed this with a skinny stick to smooth things down, then pushed into place so that they stood proud. This then allowed capillary action to let very thin super goo to flow, I am now off to wrap my tentacles around it's throat, those who may have had to leave the room are now safe to return...

I don't know what the Hell I'm reading here but it sure sounds rather saucy!

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Brave work dear heart. Looking forward to seeing that glazing polished up! :clap2:

Thanks your Baronesship. Sadly experience has shown me that it is best wait until the glue has cured before subjecting it to further violent treatment so we will all have to wait.

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Its like one of those films that you know will be extremely scary to watch, but you just can't look away no matter how hard you try..............

I'm all agog with fearful anticipation and a not insignificant touch of modellers angst!

Terry

Was it too painful to watch? The Dremmel bit seems to have unhinged our esteemed General a bit. Well, a bit more actually but you get my drift.

3 hours ago, perdu said:

🤞

Thanks Bill.

3 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I hid behind the aspidistra. I’m always up for some styrene butchery. :tmi:

I am pleased I stayed. Excellent job! 

Thanks Heather I must also compliment you on your ever increasing grasp of the banter side of BM, almost like you were born to it.

30 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Scary !! ⚖️ Bold !!

Only time will tell 🙂

Kev

You will have to bite your nails just that little bit longer Kev as I don't know how to speed up the curing of super goo.

29 minutes ago, general melchett said:

I don't know what the Hell I'm reading here but it sure sounds rather saucy!

Methinks the General needs to get along to Specsavers as he is not exactly reading between the lines but getting them completely muddled up. Either that or there is some wishful thinking going on?

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

45 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I must also compliment you on your ever increasing grasp of the banter side of BM, almost like you were born to it.

While I’m relatively new here, I’m quite an old hand at forums. It just takes a little time to acclimatise to the various characters, and then I can join in the banter happily. :penguin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

No, no I think it may be linked to this blasted hidden code business that CC's so fond of using in his communications......back to Bletchley I fear, to decipher the cypher, 'riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma' sort of chappie.....or, I might just indeed toddle along to Specsavers, if I can find it :nerd:

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, general melchett said:

No, no I think it may be linked to this blasted hidden code business that CC's so fond of using in his communications......back to Bletchley I fear, to decipher the cypher, 'riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma' sort of chappie.....or, I might just indeed toddle along to Specsavers, if I can find it :nerd:

Ah, the old communications problem again!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

On 3/14/2019 at 2:18 PM, Martian Hale said:

I go on holiday next Thursday for a couple of weeks and when I return the boat's refit will have been finished and I can return to whatever passes for "normal" at Martian Towers

Nice work  and  a enjoyable holiday for you ! 

Ps.: There was a holiday?:wicked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Nice work  and  a enjoyable holiday for you ! 

Ps.: There was a holiday?:wicked:

There is indeed a holiday and I shall be taking my thread along as well! As the original creator of the Changing Threads Team, I am well aware of what they are capable of. The thought alone of the General running around unchecked in his party pants is enough to make a Martian's teeth turn snow white overnight!

Wary of Mars 👽

• Haha 8

15 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

While I’m relatively new here, I’m quite an old hand at forums. It just takes a little time to acclimatise to the various characters, and then I can join in the banter happily. :penguin:

Congrats Heather !

You did good on this side too !!

Sincerely.

CC

15 hours ago, general melchett said:

Spoiler

:evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Bletchley Park... Pigeons... Dear General, 

I think that you really need a rocket fuel treatment...

Amused CC

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I am well aware of what they are capable of

Oh dear Martian please trust us. We are capable to care and protect your thread very well. You can count on us. And always remember on your cruising:

post2.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bbudde said:

post2.jpg

What has the back of Angela Merkel's car got to do with things?

Alright, I'll play ball; @general melchett is in charge! Now you lot are all sorry aren't you? :evil_laugh:

Martian of the Cunning Plan 👽

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

As promised and to prevent further collective biting of the mahoosive's nails, I bring you the second part of my sorting out of the fuselage transparencies. Not really much to say here other than the fact that micromeshing the windows with grades starting at 1500 grit and carrying on down to 12,000 grit, followed with some vigorous polishing with Novus polish gave the result pictured below. No looking away or hiding behind Heather's aspidistra necessary, it all went very smoothly and there were no dramas.

I would however caution people to be very confident in what they are doing before copying this procedure and to use good quality CA (I mostly use Rocket). If one is at all unsure whether one's glue is suitable, try it on a bit of clear sprue or a scrap canopy first. I would hate to see someone ruin their kit due to a technique I have advocated.  In addition, if one has any doubts about one's total control over their Dremmel, skip the Dremmel bit and just resort to gently filing the transparency to shape. Above all go gently at all stages and take your time.

Thank for looking 

Martian 👽

137.jpg

138.jpg

139.jpg

140.jpg

• Like 17

11 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

What has the back of Angela Merkel's car got to do with things?

I just wanted to wish you a "bon voyage" and remind you, what to do on  intergalactic traffic jams.  DIdn't recognize it was Darth Angie's rider, sorry. Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, bbudde said:

I just wanted to wish you a "bon voyage" and remind you, what to do on  intergalactic traffic jams.  DIdn't recognize it was Darth Angie's rider, sorry. Cheers

Thanks Bbudde. No need to be sorry it was just a bit of Anglo Saxon humour.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Above all go gently at all stages and take your time.

Wise words my Pan-Dimensional, Galactic gargle-blasting friend...and ones often whispered into the Memsahib's one good ear, while she's squinting down the barrel of her Mossberg 500 during a particularly irksome dispute with the local peasantry over voluntary/compulsory donations to the upkeep of M Towers new gaming room...

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, general melchett said:

M Towers new gaming room...

Glad you reminded me your Generalship. We'll deliver the empty barrels to go around the Go Kart track on Friday morning. Yes, a well stuffed brown envelope is acceptable, Ta.

• Haha 5

We plan to fire them through the French windows with your 24 inch mortar, providing the plaster on the far wall holds up we should be done in ten minutes.

Of course if you can persuade the Memsahib to wear her old school Hockey goalie kit she could deflect them before they hit the wall. Hopefully they'll be empties.

(BTW, when you said 6000 I thought you were talking about the readies. You did say war surplus Krugerands didn't you?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3