Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Lebanese Style

Martian

40 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

in this pretty much out of the box build

:hmmm:Yeah right!

Would it be rude to ask how many boxes :shrug:

Of course I know why you do it, you wouldn't have enough ' chat ' if you took the direct route. :poke:

Lovely modelling!

Kev

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

any questions, please feel free to ask and as usual I will try and provide clarification/obfuscation

Where were you earlier, between the hours of 5 and 7pm, and can you explain the 27 pairs of Laura Ashley curtains found on the passenger seat of your car.

(Love your bomb-bay by-the-way!)

• Haha 7

Hello Martian, looking really great. No real question about the doors and everything else, that goes with it. Did Airfix send  you a mail with a question of what and how it would look better like that by now? Sorry for your headache, hopefully because of the kit.

Cheers Benedikt ( My pair of glasses of 1 diopter on now at the PC, even on carnival)

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

:hmmm:Yeah right!

Would it be rude to ask how many boxes :shrug:

Of course I know why you do it, you wouldn't have enough ' chat ' if you took the direct route. :poke:

Lovely modelling!

Kev

Thanks Kev. Well, if we include packets as boxes, its eight but out of the box(s) none the less, plus industrial quantities of plastic stock. Anyway if the parts weren't out of the box, I wouldn't be able to build the model would I? I note that I started the build on 30th December which positively racing along by my standards.

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Where were you earlier, between the hours of 5 and 7pm, and can you explain the 27 pairs of Laura Ashley curtains found on the passenger seat of your car.

(Love your bomb-bay by-the-way!)

Thanks Baroness. Yes, I think I can explain. I was on MVS duties tonight. We were discussing the next phase of the refit of the launch I am responsible for. We had a meeting of the ship's Soft Furnishing Committee and were trying to decide on the design of the curtains for the cabin and wheel house. (phew! I think I covered that one!)

2 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Martian, looking really great. No real question about the doors and everything else, that goes with it. Did Airfix send  you a mail with a question of what and how it would look better like that by now? Sorry for your headache, hopefully because of the kit.

Cheers Benedikt ( My pair of glasses of 1 diopter on now at the PC, even on carnival)

Thanks Benedikt. The headache was entirely my fault as I got a bit carried away yesterday.

Martian 👽

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

🤣 you’re funny. 👾

splendid work as always. 

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny, you should see how mad I get when I really do decide to go to town. Hang on a minute, you already have! :banghead:

Martian 👽

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Yesterday saw the start of the refit of the MVS launch that I am responsible for and at the moment everything hurts from the nose down. As I naturally have to be present at all times, updates will tend to depend on how I am feeling after helping on the boat each day. I also have to take into account Mrs Martian's warning/threats as to not making myself ill for our holiday in a few weeks time. Don't worry though, I am still mahoosively fired up about this build  and there is no way it is going to end up on the shelf of doom. Updates may not therefore be quite as frequent as I have hitherto tried to make them but will probably have a much higher waffle content as you are about to see.

Anyway, progress has been made over the last few days so lets see what I have been up to.

It occurred to me that having gone the extra mile on the bomb doors, I probably ought to do something about the open hatch on the top of the fuselage. The relevant kit parts are thicker than @general melchett's hide so it was out Dremmel time to get the part thinned to a more accurate appearance. I found this quite a strangely therapeutic process. Well I did right up to the time I slipped and Dremmeled my stomach! Fortunately, Martians too have stomachs as thick as our dear General's hide so no real harm was done.

The desired thinness being achieved, I then built up the supporting structure of the hatch form some shaped pieces of 20 'thou plastic rod and cut some strengthening plates from some 10 'thou plastic card. On reflection, I think I probably should have used 5 'thou card instead. The Hatch is merely tacked in place for the photographs and will be removed and painted separately to the rest of the model.

Attention then turned to the  fuselage door. There is a nice looking door on the Eduard etched set but on closer inspection, it was discovered that the part had a defect in it which made it look like someone had hit it with a nail. Repairing the part without damaging the detail on it did not look to have much future in it. I wonder if this why the set found it's way into the trader's bargain bin. I decided that the best way to go was to thin down the kit part and scratch build the detail that had been etched into it's brass counterpart. Fortunately, the etched steps and their supporting structure were undamaged and folded up nicely using my hold and fold machine. As with the upper fuselage hatch, the door is merely tacked in place for the pictures of the update.

I also got round to adding the stringers that I couldn't be bothered to finish earlier in the build and unless anyone can think of anything I might have forgotten, all I need to do is decide what I am going to do about the fuselage transparencies and we can start painting the interior. Normally I much prefer the building to the painting part of the hobby but for some reasonI am actually quite looking forward to painting this beast.

One question though, has anyone had any experience of using Arctic Decals products and are there any points I need to be aware of?

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

131.jpg

132.jpg

133.jpg

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gondor44 said:

I was just catching up on this build and wondered what the hedgehog was doing clinging onto the frame at the rear of the bomb bay 🤔

Gondor

You are not the first person to mention this and I would love to meet the person responsible for designing the mechanism in this fashion and grasp them warmly by the throat.

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

Epic hatchery your Alienship. And may I be the first to assure you that we, the BM horde, are quite willing to adjust to a slower gait in this build.

If only to keep in Mrs Martians good books. Seriously, look after yourself! Oh and, another Holiday? where does the time go?

And another thing, how many other Aircraft (I wonder) had the bombaimer in the middle instead of the nose? (besides the obvious other similar Italian designs).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Epic hatchery your Alienship. And may I be the first to assure you that we, the BM horde, are quite willing to adjust to a slower gait in this build.

If only to keep in Mrs Martians good books. Seriously, look after yourself! Oh and, another Holiday? where does the time go?

And another thing, how many other Aircraft (I wonder) had the bombaimer in the middle instead of the nose? (besides the obvious other similar Italian designs).

Thanks Pete. Owing to me working too hard for the MVS, we have only had one weeks holiday in the last eighteen months. A bit silly I know so this year we have decided we will have some proper breaks.

The question about the bomb aimer's position is a rather interesting one and most obvious answer would be the bomber versions of the Junkers Ju 52. The bomb aimer's position in the SM.79 was dictated by the tri-motor design of the type, itself dictated by the lack of availability of Italian aero-engines of sufficient power. The later twin engine export versions of the time reverted to having the aimer's station in the more traditional location. What I am saying, in a rather long winded manner, is that we are most likely looking at either three or single engine types such as the Fairey Battle. Perhaps others can enlighten us further on this singularly interesting point?

Martian 👽

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

One question though, has anyone had any experience of using Arctic Decals products and are there any points I need to be aware of?

@Moa‘s your man for Arctic Decal advice.

AW

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Andwil said:

@Moa‘s your man for Arctic Decal advice.

AW

Good point, I shall see what he has to say.

Martian 👽

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Good point, I shall see what he has to say.

Martian 👽

And some notes have been passed on to Martian on the topic.

I like to clarify that in no way I am associated commercially or benefited financially from Arctic Decals, nor I represent them in any conceivable way or capacity, I just have been commissioning sets for my scratch-builds from them the last years -paying for them of course- and I am more than satisfied every single time, they are no doubt among the best I have ever used. They in general come with instructions, so some advice is there already, and perhaps Mika Jernfors, the owner, would be happy to answer a couple questions. I know he also goes to several modeling shows, so for those who do that (I never go to modeling shows or the like) that's an opportunity to meet and greet (and ask 😉 )

I am a very happy customer.

Cheers to y'all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Massimo said:

You're doing great Martian!!!

It'll be a real shame to close that fuselage and hide all the superb detail inside!!!

Well done Airfix!!!:like:

Thanks Massimo! Fortunately, the layout of the original aircraft allows for most of the added detail to be seen so for once I am not concerned about closing the fuselage up. In addition, I can also use my digital photo frame method of display if the finished model turns out well enough.

Thinking Ahead of Mars 👽

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Yesterday saw the start of the refit of the MVS launch that I am responsible for and at the moment everything hurts from the nose down. As I naturally have to be present at all times,

Good man. The commitment I mean, not the pain. :worthy:

I slipped and Dremmeled my stomach!

#followyourdreams Ken doll 💓

PAY-EXCLUSIVE-Human-Ken-Doll-Rodrigo-Alv

132.jpg

Superb. That is a right good 'un Daddy M.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Massimo said:

look forward to see those interiors painted!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks Massimo.

53 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Good man. The commitment I mean, not the pain. :worthy:

#followyourdreams Ken doll 💓

PAY-EXCLUSIVE-Human-Ken-Doll-Rodrigo-Alv

Superb. That is a right good 'un Daddy M.

Thanks Tony, I was going to give your post a like right up to the moment I saw the Ken doll bit so instead it gets a 🤮

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

That made me pause, wonder and then worry about the frenzied condition of a mind that would inflict that upon innocent bystanders too Martian

But on reflection I fear the lad has form...

Tony that is, not Ken

😈

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I was going to give your post a like right up to the moment I saw the Ken doll

2 hours ago, perdu said:

the frenzied condition of a mind that would inflict that upon innocent bystanders too Martian

Knew it was a mistake pulling my T-shirt up for that photo. I said so at the time....

• Haha 8

4 hours ago, perdu said:

That made me pause, wonder and then worry about the frenzied condition of a mind that would inflict that upon innocent bystanders too Martian

Clearly we are the innocent bystanders and our friend the Baroness has the aforementioned frenzied mind.

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Knew it was a mistake pulling my T-shirt up for that photo. I said so at the time....

You seem to have let yourself slip a bit since that picture was taken.

19th-Century-goblin-illustration.jpg

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

I need a bigger Dremmel!

I bet you say that to all the girls!

56 minutes ago, perdu said:

I need newer eyes, mine hurt

I just got back from the boat and everything hurts. I need a new body or at least that's what Mrs Martian says.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just be careful, gottit?

Neither your nautical mates nor your modelling dittoes need you worn out

Pretty sure Mrs M would agree too

If there are two of you there, HE can do a little bit more than you

Its not as if you have to tell him/them/anybody

(Re: Tony letting himself go a tad, I would almost not have recognised him from 2017. It has all begun to slide hasn't it?)

• Haha 3