Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Lebanese Style

Martian

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I wonder if anyone ever tried to create a 'chrome bumper' conversion for the TR7.

I have never heard of one and given the size of the bumpers on the Seven, it would be a colossally expensive undertaking. I suppose it could be done by removing the plastic covering from the bumpers, recessing the side-lights and chroming the assembly. It might also be necessary to adapt the bumper mountings. Given all that, I'm not even sure it would suit the car.

What I would like to see is a conversion set that would allow for a traditional Triumph wooden dashboard. The American market was worried about flying splinters in a crash situation. Given the velocity of impact needed to cause flying splinters in a car designed with crash protection to the fore, I feel that a few flying splinters would have been the least of one's worries. Having had the misfortune to be in a TR7 crash, I can confirm that the cockpits of these cars are built like tanks. I also knew a women who managed to flip a Seven onto it's roof and merely suffered a broken leg.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Autosol...now you're talking, my regimental Chrome Throne positively loves the stuff.  

As opposed to it's opinion of the General's backside! 🤮

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

I also knew a women who managed to flip a Seven onto it's roof and merely suffered a broken leg.

You know some very peculiar people Martian...way too much Martiani and not enough lemonade methinks!

I'll have you know in my hayday my backside was the talk of the town! (not the sort of talk you want repeating in polite company, but talk nevertheless)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ref the bumpers, I've seen it done to American cars. Throw away the 70's 'impact bumpers' and fit 60's style bumpers

from a donor car, usually of the same width. It involves some metalwork & cut'n'shut but the results can be very nice.

Darn, now I might have to source a TR7 model and get the spares box out!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Ref the bumpers, I've seen it done to American cars. Throw away the 70's 'impact bumpers' and fit 60's style bumpers

from a donor car, usually of the same width. It involves some metalwork & cut'n'shut but the results can be very nice.

Darn, now I might have to source a TR7 model and get the spares box out!

Any pictures perchance?

4 minutes ago, general melchett said:

I'll have you know in my hayday my backside was the talk of the town! (not the sort of talk you want repeating in polite company, but talk nevertheless)

Word around town is that people are comparing Baldrick's backside favourably to your Generalship's.

Martian 👽

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Martian Hale said:

Any pictures perchance?

Try on the tube.

Fast n loud. They did it with a Mercury Comet. A vast improvement. Not sure which series.

The last series of Wheeler dealers, a USA version of the Mk3 Capri

I think on the 7 it would at least involve a new front panel. Maybe cut down Stag bumpers?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Try on the tube.

Fast n loud. They did it with a Mercury Comet. A vast improvement. Not sure which series.

The last series of Wheeler dealers, a USA version of the Mk3 Capri

I think on the 7 it would at least involve a new front panel. Maybe cut down Stag bumpers?

Couldn't find anything but I still can't see it suiting the design.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

This is what they did to the poor Capri. It was branded a Mercury Capri.

Those bumpers are ugly & weighed quite a bit. We all know what the UK bumpers looked like.

https://dxsdcl7y7vn9x.cloudfront.net/351989/thumbs/C5729EB6-3F2C-47F0-877B-52E64A59FC0D_1.jpg

Much better!

The Mercury Comet of about 1973 looked like this,

https://cdn04.carsforsale.com/3/1005159/19114975/thumb/1041823177.jpg

Not pretty, but look at those bumpers!

This looks a bit better

https://dxsdcl7y7vn9x.cloudfront.net/474044/thumbs/9829C517-ECDB-4135-A9A9-0E540F255579_1.jpg

Did I mention that I like cars? Especially the customised stuff.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Did I mention that I like cars? Especially the customised stuff.

I did kind of notice!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Apologies for the delay in an update but I had a bit of thinking to do on the build. The issue I faced was that the more I studied pictures of the Lebanese machines, the more I came to the conclusion that the Pavla engines would be the better bet for this build. The problem, how best to fit them into the Airfix cowlings for which they are not designed? As I am aware that there are a few people following this thread who have this kit and a few more who are planning to get the Airfix re-issue, I think that probably the best thing to do is to go through the process I came up with step by step:

1. The kit engines slot into lugs on the inside of the cowling lips. These interfere with the Pavla replacements and need to be carefully ground away.

2. Next a strip of .20 x .60 'thou plastic strip is glued into the inside of the cowling, butting up against an existing lip in the kit cowlings thus:

106.jpg

3. A plate is cut from plastic card, sized so that it butts up against the extended ridge and locating holes drilled for the Pavla engine and bell intakes. The holes in the Pavla engines are deepened and enlarged to accept the spindles of the Airfix propellers.

105.jpg

4. The assembly can now be fitted inside the kit cowling and will now sit at the correct depth.

107.jpg

108.jpg

5. All that gives us something like this:

109.jpg

As things stand, other than the deepened rims inside the cowlings, nothing is glued in place as yet as this will happen following my finishing detailing and painting of the engines I have just mocked things up to give you an idea of how things are going to look. Hopefully all that makes sense. If not, please feel free to ask any questions and with that let the more usual drivel re-commence!

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

• Like 19

Lovely work Mr Martian. But...

I think you're passing this off as someone else's work...

57 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

107.jpg

Reckon you did a photoshop job of the Soviet's Venera probe on a visit to your neighbours on Venus a while back.

Venera.jpg

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Lovely work Mr Martian. But...

I think you're passing this off as someone else's work...

Reckon you did a photoshop job of the Soviet's Venera probe on a visit to your neighbours on Venus a while back.

Venera.jpg

Bugger, rumbled! :bobby:

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

Hello Dear Tentacled one !

That's the kind of job I used to like !! Congrats !

I'm a bit off for the while since I got a flu… 3 days whithout plastic !

Plus a full load of problems all in one…

Social security need 1 month and a half to tell me that I will be paid in 15 days :rofl2:

In 12 days I'm back to the work !! Ridiculous !! This country is turning to...

Well today, I picked up my gear and restart modelling a bit… Sneezing, breathing like an old pug

So that's the way my last post was so sober !!

The @general melchett 's lavatories are…. Well… I would say Brilliant !

Hope that Georgina did appreciate it :frantic: !!

Sincerely !

Chipmunk

CC

• Haha 2

You think that is bad? A company I worked for went bankrupt and closed down in December 2015. I got a letter from my health insurance company in February telling me my insurance was cancelled, backdated to December. So I applied for State insurance and was told that because it was over 2 months I didn't qualify. I filed an appeal, and sent them a copy of the cancellation letter. Two months later I got a letter telling me I had an appeal date in June! I got another job in June so the appeal was rejected and I got fined for not having insurance!

Ian

• Sad 5

Great stuff Martian, all coming along at a gentlemanly pace, however...  

108.jpg&key=7c5f56bf03bc89717099469f19c6

Just make sure you line them donkeys up properly...otherwise, the Vogon Engine Alignment subcommittee armed with blurglecruncheons and a stack of recently published love sonnets will be round yer gaff!

Ian, your story reminds me precisely of why I want Darling to pack my regimental horsehair pyjamas, fluffy pink slippers and freshly ironed copies of 'King and Country' and shuffle off to live in some bizarre drug-fuelled, utopian Club Lala land, insane asylum for the rest of my time remaining...oh, hang on, I just saw on the BBC that I already do...silly me. 

The general melchett's lavatories are…. Well… I would say Brilliant!

Hope that Georgina did appreciate it  !!

She thoroughly enjoyed them thank you CC...and she meant that from the heart of her bottom.

Edited by general melchett
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

You think that is bad? A company I worked for went bankrupt and closed down in December 2015. I got a letter from my health insurance company in February telling me my insurance was cancelled, backdated to December. So I applied for State insurance and was told that because it was over 2 months I didn't qualify. I filed an appeal, and sent them a copy of the cancellation letter. Two months later I got a letter telling me I had an appeal date in June! I got another job in June so the appeal was rejected and I got fined for not having insurance!

Ian

Incredible, Terry Gillian was right !!

Here in Brazil we live!!

Belgium is the only sovietic Monarchy in Europe !!

Only benefit ! We have strong Beer.

Now I think seriously to turn myself in Mr Buttle or Tuttle ???

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Interesting to note that some passing Venusian is using that Venera Probe as a custom built cocktail bar

Obviously the Solar System must be chockablock with entrepreneurs

Still, doesn't look like there's much atmosphere at the bar

😕

Its much better down the road from me, much better😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dear Tentacled one !

That's the kind of job I used to like !! Congrats !

I'm a bit off for the while since I got a flu… 3 days whithout plastic !

Plus a full load of problems all in one…

Social security need 1 month and a half to tell me that I will be paid in 15 days :rofl2:

In 12 days I'm back to the work !! Ridiculous !! This country is turning to...

Well today, I picked up my gear and restart modelling a bit… Sneezing, breathing like an old pug

So that's the way my last post was so sober !!

The @general melchett 's lavatories are…. Well… I would say Brilliant !

Hope that Georgina did appreciate it :frantic: !!

Sincerely !

Chipmunk

CC

Thanks CC. However, 'flu and no modelling, very bad. Take a week off from the naughty corner to recover.

7 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Ian

So there is a beurocracy sillier than the one we have in the UK! I trust you didn't pay the fine.

7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Oooh sassy. 😎

Thanks Johnny.

6 hours ago, general melchett said:

Ian, your story reminds me precisely of why I want Darling to pack my regimental horsehair pyjamas, fluffy pink slippers and freshly ironed copies of 'King and Country' and shuffle off to live in some bizarre drug-fuelled, utopian Club Lala land, insane asylum for the rest of my time remaining...oh, hang on, I just saw on the BBC that I already do...silly me. 

I heard that that was Melchett Towers or the General Staff HQ. If you had ever heard a Vogon love sonnet, you would not bandy such threats about so lightly. They probably explain why the Vogon birth-rate is so abysmally low. 

6 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Incredible, Terry Gillian was right !!

Here in Brazil we live!!

Belgium is the only sovietic Monarchy in Europe !!

Only benefit ! We have strong Beer.

Now I think seriously to turn myself in Mr Buttle or Tuttle ???

Sincerely.

CC

A Soviet Monarchy? Explain how that works. I know you "North of France" types can get a bit confused but that must take the biscuit!

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Still, doesn't look like there's much atmosphere at the bar

😕

Its much better down the road from me, much better😜

I don't know, I have heard of the atmosphere in the West Midlands on a smoggy day being likened to the Venusian one.

Martian 👽

PS: For those hoping for a sensible debate about the engines, I apologise for reason not even managing to survive the first reply to the update. I am not disappointed however as my hopes were never very high in the first place. On a brighter note however, we must be in the running for the award for this year's silliest thread on BM! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Apologies for the delay in posting but in addition to MVS duties, I have been spending a fair bit of time underneath my mistress. Fret ye not, Mrs Martian is fully aware and is supportive.

Anyway, let's get back to the engines. I noticed that there are a couple of intakes on the leading edge of the wings between the engines and the fuselage. A couple on minutes with a drill soon sorted these out.

113.jpg

Next up, I re-scribed the cowlings and hollowed out the exhausts prior to gluing them in place.

110.jpg

The engines aren't much use without airscrews and the kit items need quite a bit of work. This is due to the fact that the kit propellers are designed to be fitted with spinners. thus:

111.jpg

This is all well and good as long spinners are fitted as they cover the propeller hubs and hide the lack of detail in this area . Sadly, the Lebanese machines did not have spinners fitted and require the hubs to be properly detailed. I began this task by turning some new hubs on the Dremel. I then added some collars for the blades by thinning out the inside of some plastic tubing. This was cut into rings and one side of the rings cut so that it could open up. This allowed the collar to be slipped over the propeller blade, run down to the root of the blade and glued into place. Extra detail was then added to the boss from 0.20 'thou plastic rod. The hubs could do with some more cleaning up but this will have to wait a day or so to let the glue cure properly. 

112.jpg

Hopefully that all makes sense?

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

• Like 14

50 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

You make all that look easy. :clap2:

Johnny.

The first prop blade took some time but once I had got it figured out, things picked up pretty quickly.

Martian 👽

• Like 3