Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Lebanese Style

Martian

2 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Although I have said that I am mostly just doing what I enjoy on this build but I do not want to end up with a model that looks like a toy. To that end, something has to be done about the terrible looking movable ailerons that come with the kit. This is how I go about dealing with this sort of issue....

Thanks so much for the lesson, it's been dutifully filed.

🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billn53 said:

Thanks so much for the lesson, it's been dutifully filed.

🙂

You are more than welcome.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, longshanks said:

I think I prefered the first version     :wicked:

Only joking neat solution !!

Kev

Thanks Kev. Did you never learn that well known proverb about letting sleeping aliens lay?

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

I have managed to get in a couple of decent sessions at the bench and have pushed things forward a bit.

I began by sorting out the starboard aileron using the same process as outlined above. One point that I did neglect to mention was that the ailerons each have a couple of blisters on their undersides. As moulded by Airfix, these interfere with the cleaning up and re-scribing of the ailerons so I carved these away at an early stage, carved some new ones from some laminated plastic stock, and re-attached them after the ailerons had been glued to the wing.

Next I cleaned up the elevators and rudder dressed them to fit, re-scribed them, thinned down the trailing edges and glued the elevators onto the tail planes. The rudder is only push fitted at the moment as the fuselage halves are not yet joined. This reminds me that I need to re-visit the fuselage and finish off the few bits that were left undone when I got bored with doing the interior. A good session should see that completed and the interior ready for paint.

And now for some pictures. Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

093.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

096.jpg

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Nice work Martian  coming together nicely now

Roger

Thanks Roger, I think I will have a bash at the undercarriage next.

1 hour ago, clive_t said:

Looking very nice now with all the interior details in place

Thanks Clive, a little way to go with it yet but I am quite pleased thus far.

Martian 👽

29 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

You know you're in the presence of a master modeller when the subject is blister reconstitution and rudder dressing. Bravo!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, I don't know about master modeller, I've just been at it so long, I'm starting to run out of mistakes to make.

3 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks great!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian just for once I'm quite looking forward to paint.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

094.jpg

095.jpg

Why Mr Martian sir you are really spoiling us.  I have been missing out on many builds over the last month but now the paw is in bandages I get to have a lovely catch up with every one. As I see over the past 17 pages you have kept her OOB in typical fashion.😂 The innards you have created are beautiful and looking at where you are now and the pic above I can tell you’re having fun. Which is the whole point. Excuse me fo the earlier absence but I’d beg permission to come aboard the good ship honey pot for the rest of her merry journey if I may.

beautiful work kidda.

Johnny one paw. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Spadgent said:

Why Mr Martian sir you are really spoiling us.  I have been missing out on many builds over the last month but now the paw is in bandages I get to have a lovely catch up with every one. As I see over the past 17 pages you have kept her OOB in typical fashion.😂 The innards you have created are beautiful and looking at where you are now and the pic above I can tell you’re having fun. Which is the whole point. Excuse me fo the earlier absence but I’d beg permission to come aboard the good ship honey pot for the rest of her merry journey if I may.

beautiful work kidda.

Johnny one paw. 

Thanks Johnny, I do seem to have got a bit carried away. You are more than welcome to join in the madhouse. where we don't mention Macbeth anything like as much as on your threads. :oops:

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Real good correction on the control surfaces Dear tentacled one !!

Congrats !!

Then, the Roc Floatplane Ta… Tu...

Note I did'nt say the word...:evil_laugh:

Sincerely.

CC

Stop splitting hairs you evil Earthling! You have now been in the naughty corner so long that there is a waiting list of people waiting to do their sentence. We look forward to receiving your remittance so that we may purchase an extra naughty corner.

Thanks for the compliment though. crawling will get you everywhere! :tease:

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Marklo said:

That would be the Scottish play..... not Macbeth!!

For the sake of clarity @The Spadgent prefers that we refer to it as Macbeth. It avoids confusion with other Scottish plays or something. The odd thing is he gets very upset every time we do call the Scottish play Macbeth so we try not to mention Macbeth very often. It does however make things a tad difficult when we do need to refer to The Scottish Play/Macbeth.

Macbeth  Martian 👽

• Haha 7

I think you mentioned Macbeth so many times he'll just have to sit down, turn on the relaxing music, and light up a Hamlet! That should help him get over the Macbeth issue.

What? 🤷‍♂️

On another note, your method of dealing with the ailerons is exactly what I should have done with the Battle, but didn't think about until too late.

Oh well.

Hamlet time...

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I think you mentioned Macbeth so many times he'll just have to sit down, turn on the relaxing music, and light up a Hamlet! That should help him get over the Macbeth issue.

What? 🤷‍♂️

On another note, your method of dealing with the ailerons is exactly what I should have done with the Battle, but didn't think about until too late.

Oh well.

Hamlet time...

Ian

I think @The Spadgent has to do that silly routine the actors in Blackadder do, including the nose pinching bit, every time someone mentions the word Macbeth, which is why we try not to mention Macbeth more often we can help when he's around. He must have the "Hot potato, orchestra stalls, Puck will make amends" mantra on permanent copy and paste by now for those inadvertant Macbeth moments. I do agree though that a Hamlet or two would help him relax after a session of Macbeth cleansing, lest a mid-summer night's dream turn into a mid-summer night's nightmare. :evil_laugh:

Martian 👽

(There, I managed to mention Macbeth a mere four times in my reply, I must be slipping improving)

• Haha 7

Unfortunately he may not be able to tweak his nose when we mention Macbeth, as he only has one hand at the moment. Which means he'll have a VERY sore nose when he gets the use of his hand back and has to catch up on all the Macbeth comments.

Sorry, Johnny "sore nose" Macbeth.

Ian

Oops.

• Haha 6