Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Lebanese Style

Martian

You rang!  take grown 'adults' playing with little bits of plastic seriously...what, are you mad? 

I said 🎵hey listen to me, stay safe inside insanity 🎵    I won't quote any more lest general melchett gets over excited and gets out his Rocky Horror show outfit. Heaven help us if he wears it at Telford this year! 

Funnily enough, I was just trying it on for size yesterday...unfortunately overindulging at this years 'How I licked the Germans'' regimental Christmas nosh up seems to have done me no favours whatsoever as Darling had to let the laces of the old bodice out a few notches, shame as it fitted perfectly 40 years ago at my bi-annual 'passing out' parades...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I could do you a set of vintage laces m'ludship

Wholesale, no come backs later if you know what I mean, nudge nudge

Send Darling round to the back of the abbattoir near midnight on the Tuesday before you need them and I'll have some chaps standing by looking ugly and terrifying

That gives you both a good excuse if you need one for another 'no show'

😉

No

No. Its OK 

Just post me for another bar on my CDM, we can keep this our little secret and only Darling gets the blame

😎

• Haha 5

Not after the last debacle involving those dreadful horse-hair négligées young Billiam!, no sah...I had more comebacks than Deep Purple!

Send Darling round to the back of the abbattoir near midnight on the Tuesday before you need them and I'll have some chaps standing by looking ugly and terrifying

I shall save time and expense by just sending Baldrick, (sort of an 'all in one' package) the abattoir's his second home...simply deposit the garment in a brown paper bag and hang it around his neck, please don't be tempted to throttle him with it, I need him back here to hand scrub the latrines later, there's been a lot of problems with the cook recently. He'll also bring the extra stripe for your CDM, no questions asked, if he doesn't give it to you voluntarily then just forage around in his back pocket, I'm sure you'll come across it.

• Haha 5

15 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I think much of the attraction of some of these old kits is nostalgia and the urge to make them now as many of us would have wished to make them when we first had them as youngsters as well as to bring back memories of a simpler and for many a happier time.

Absolutely true! In my stash I have this:

46281353394_74062f9414_c.jpg

which was the very first model I ever built (I was 8 years old at the time).

Edited by billn53
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Sod all chance of that, for me, I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

Steve.

You wouldn't get it any other way on BM.

4 hours ago, perdu said:

NOW THAT SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN...

Yes, the sort of plan Baldrick would come up with.

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

The cat detector van was around again this afternoon, but I've got my cat licence. they won't catch me!

Ian

I rest my case!

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

You rang!  take grown 'adults' playing with little bits of plastic seriously...what, are you mad? 

Funnily enough, I was just trying it on for size yesterday...unfortunately overindulging at this years 'How I licked the Germans'' regimental Christmas nosh up seems to have done me no favours whatsoever as Darling had to let the laces of the old bodice out a few notches, shame as it fitted perfectly 40 years ago at my bi-annual 'passing out' parades...

Now see what you have done Bill! You have got the General all excited. 

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Not after the last debacle involving those dreadful horse-hair négligées young Billiam!, no sah...I had more comebacks than Deep Purple!

I shall save time and expense by just sending Baldrick, (sort of an 'all in one' package) the abattoir's his second home...simply deposit the garment in a brown paper bag and hang it around his neck, please don't be tempted to throttle him with it, I need him back here to hand scrub the latrines later, there's been a lot of problems with the cook recently. He'll also bring the extra stripe for your CDM, no questions asked, if he doesn't give it to you voluntarily then just forage around in his back pocket, I'm sure you'll come across it.

We look forward to hearing of the results of you rummaging around in Baldrick's back pocket! There's justice for you! :evil_laugh:

Martian 👽

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, billn53 said:

Absolutely true! In my stash I have this:

46281353394_74062f9414_c.jpg

which was the very first model I ever built (I was 8 years old at the time).

That looks fun.

Martian 👽

I humbly apologise for the intrusion of sanity, however brief, in to this thread but I did promise some pictures to show how far I have got with the wings. As intimated yesterday, both nacelles are detailed and the wings now closed up. The trailing edges have been thinned and any lost detail re-instated. I have also inserted a repair patch into the starboard wingtip and this has now been blended in with super goo and sanded to shape. Next up I shall be attempting to make the separate ailerons, that were de rigeur when this kit was fist issued, look less toy like. I do have a solution for this.

Although not ready for it's maiden flight round the kitchen, we can with the assistance of my dosset box to hold the fuselage steady, at least offer the wings to the fuselage to get a taste of what the model will look like.

Thinking ahead, the decal sheet suggests a light blue colour for the front of the propeller blades and the restored example has it's blades finished in this way. Is this correct as it seems a little odd to me?

Thanks for looking and the mayhem may now resume.

Martian 👽

084.jpg

085.jpg

086.jpg

087.jpg

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Thinking ahead, the decal sheet suggests a light blue colour for the front of the propeller blades and the restored example has it's blades finished in this way. Is this correct as it seems a little odd to me?

Martian 👽

Looking at my colour photos, I woud say light blue-grey would be more accurate, say a bluish-grey.

Edited by AMB
  • Like 2

The cat detector van was around again this afternoon, but I've got my cat licence. they won't catch me!

I shall have to hide my Avatar and my Cat (he is getting on a bit and he's stone deaf and oddly hard to keep quiet, but we suspect that is catty dementia, as I said he's very old)  ah and we only have Dog licences here.

The Savoia is looking really well.

Why not, they don't have to be black you know. If the RAF could paint the back of the blades on BE2cs black...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, AMB said:

Looking at my colour photos, I woud say light blue-grey would be more accurate, say a bluish-grey.

Thanks, that would seem more plausible. 

36 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I shall have to hide my Avatar and my Cat (he is getting on a bit and he's stone deaf and oddly hard to keep quiet, but we suspect that is catty dementia, as I said he's very old)  ah and we only have Dog licences here.

The Savoia is looking really well.

Why not, they don't have to be black you know. If the RAF could paint the back of the blades on BE2cs black...

Thanks Marklo. if your cat cannot hear, he may be feeling a bit frightened, hence him meowing. He his probably looking for assurance.

Martian 👽 

• Like 2

Thanks Marklo. if your cat cannot hear, he may be feeling a bit frightened, hence him meowing. He his probably looking for assurance.

Yes he is as deaf as a post, but pretty well adjusted in himself and stil very lively given that he is 20 years old (well 20 and a half, to be precise) . We have figured out that he is meowing because he is either hungry, looking to go out, looking for a pet or meowing for the sake of it. We normally try these solutions in that order.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Yes he is as deaf as a post, but pretty well adjusted in himself and stil very lively given that he is 20 years old (well 20 and a half, to be precise) . We have figured out that he is meowing because he is either hungry, looking to go out, looking for a pet or meowing for the sake of it. We normally try these solutions in that order.

He looks a lovely chap and I hope you have him for a long while yet.

Martian the Cat Alien 👽

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I humbly apologise for the intrusion of sanity, however brief

:rofl2:

I hope you've renewed your license, you do need them here on earth . . .

I must compliment you on your moment of sanity. Lovely bit of modelling here

Kev

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, longshanks said:

:rofl2:

I hope you've renewed your license, you do need them here on earth . . .

I must compliment you on your moment of sanity. Lovely bit of modelling here

Kev

Thanks Kev. I thought @Mike had a license to cover all of us. Just imagine the administrative headache if we all had to have individual ones!

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Lovely work Martian. And you be careful with that lurgy - look what happened to your mates in War of the Worlds...

So its you blasted Earthling's fault! Wicked creatures! When I have recovered I shall take the greatest pleasure in infecting you all with a good dose of Martian gout. All except the General that is, seeing that he has gout right up to his nose, I shall have to think of some alternative alien pox for him.

Oh, thanks for the compliments by the way.

Laid Back of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Is that your best regimental moustache net or is it just your working rig?

Martian 👽

Edit: On second thoughts, why should I wear my overtaxed brains out when I can get the lovely Elaine to think up something for you> Admit it, now you are worried! :evil_laugh:

• Haha 3

Dammit General Melchett have you no vestigial semblance of control over your staff these days?

As you suggested I intercepted the very sneaky and be in no doubt, smelly and pustulous Baldrick and gave (some of) his trousering a search for the Bar for the CDM...yukkkky

And what did I find huh?

20190207-090604.jpg

Dammit sirrah, the packet is empty

Bar?

Not even a measly chunk

Mutters away muttering about Honour Of The Regiment, mutter mutter mut...

• Haha 5

Is that your best regimental moustache net or is it just your working rig?

This is a mere test shot of the final operational battlefield apparatus which will include full NBC capability, a feathery hat and a live canary with a little bell...(a canary will have to do as someone ate me' pigeon!)

On second thoughts, why should I wear my overtaxed brains out when I can get the lovely Elaine to think up something for you> Admit it, now you are worried

Dear Lord...as Baldrick once said....''Ooh, dear, Captain B, my tummy’s gone all squirty''. Knowing well her capacity for mental and unusual torture, way, way beyond the endurance of common man,  I await developments with a teensy-weensy amount of trepidation...:shutup:

As you suggested I intercepted the very sneaky and be in no doubt, smelly and pustulous Baldrick and gave (some of) his trousering a search for the Bar for the CDM...yukkkky

And what did I find huh?  Dammit sirrah, the packet is empty.

By Odin's codpiece, I think we've been talking at cross purposes here. I shall remonstrate with him in the harshest terms and can only assure you that the packet was full before he left Melchett Towers on his quest, however, I did notice that upon his return he was light of step with what can only be described as a lunatic grin that I assumed was unadulterated joy at a good time being had by all... 

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

46100607905_266c452cf4_z.jpg

Yes as you can see he gets very stressed ( I did check he was breathing before taking this photo btw)

That is cute by any standards, he looks almost kitten like, a Peter Pan amongst pussers no less.

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Dammit General Melchett have you no vestigial semblance of control over your staff these days?

And what did I find huh?

20190207-090604.jpg

Dammit sirrah, the packet is empty

Bar?

Not even a measly chunk

Mutters away muttering about Honour Of The Regiment, mutter mutter mut...

Look on the bright side Bill, would you really want to eat something that you had pulled from Baldrick's trousers? 🤮 Methinks you have had a lucky escape!

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

This is a mere test shot of the final operational battlefield apparatus which will include full NBC capability, a feathery hat and a live canary with a little bell...(a canary will have to do as someone ate me' pigeon!)

No they didn't, for the last time he is alive and well and in hiding in Dartmouth, something to do with being used as part of your NBC kit.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

No they didn't, for the last time he is alive and well and in hiding in Dartmouth

I think we have more than established this to be a false sighting, no matter what this imposter told you...he has allegedly been turning up all over the place, Belgium, France, the Sudetenland, most of the former Eastern Bloc, Kuala-Lumpur and even Stevenage...We had a very special code word, which I have yet to hear uttered by any of these Quislings... 

Apparently, Baldrick thoroughly enjoyed Bills rummage through his undergrowth, he says he felt a special bond with him :analintruder:

• Haha 4

That is cute by any standards, he looks almost kitten like, a Peter Pan amongst pussers no less.

Seriously he has the life, if there really is reincarnation then I want to come back as my cat (temporal discontinuity notwithstanding; I reckon If I can comeback at all then I can go back in time too)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Apparently, Baldrick thoroughly enjoyed Bills rummage through his undergrowth, he says he felt a special bond with him :analintruder:

Be afraid Bill, be very, very afraid!

Martian 👽