Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Lebanese Style

Martian

50 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Fibromyalgia notwithstanding, I have managed to get some more done on this build.

I began by adding some structure to the ventral gondola, its a good job I like making aero structures, and added some of the Eduard etch to it. I am bing a bit selective about what etch I use as much of the sets are too two dimensional and a lot does not fit anyway, even though it was designed for this kit.

I did however, like the part for the radio and frame and added some plastic card to the backs of the radio equipment to give it some extra depth. There is a large plate just forward of the bomb racks, which may or may not have been armour plate, and which has some sort of hopper on it which I am guessing is for either ammunition stowage or for collecting spent cartridges. Either way this was knocked up from plastic card and added to the model. I scratch built a couple of folding seats that feature on either side of the fuselage and managed to use some bits from the Eduard set to tart up the interior between the flight deck and the bomb racks a bit.

There will now be a short intermission as I have to go to Kent for a couple of days and will not be back until tomorrow evening. However, I have not the slightest doubt that you will find some way to keep the thread warm for me!

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

059.jpg

060.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

061.jpg

• Like 8
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Vincenzo64 said:

I think you may have forgot to type whatever it was you wanted to say?

58 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Coming along very nicely. Very busy interior. Especially for an oob build.

Cheers

Thanks Bbudde, alright, I admit that I may have got the OOB ever so slightly wrong.

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Someone has to say it - "nice rack!"

Ian

Your just jealous!

Martian 👽

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Massimo said:

I'm very impressed by the level of detail of this Airfix kit, considering its age!!!:worthy:

Well done Airfix!!!:clap:

Funny man! :rofl2:

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Hmmm.  Keep the thread warm while you’re away, you say....?

I'm certain I will regret it but those were my words.

Apprehensive of Mars 👽

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

There will now be a short intermission as I have to go to Kent for a couple of days

I've sussed this. as our resident Martian, he's going on a diplomatic mission to planet Thanet.

• Like 3

It's OK, I've sent a few morse-code messages to friends stationed across the county, to be on high alert and report back any sightings, no matter how vague...

A photo ID has been circulated to the relevant authorities...don't think they'll have too much trouble finding him...

1-DSC-0610.jpg

All ports of entry have now been notified...a state of emergency may well result from the information I've received back...stay tuned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 13:28, Pete in Lincs said:

I've sussed this. as our resident Martian, he's going on a diplomatic mission to planet Thanet.

Well Maidstone as it happens, to assist in real ale disposal at a friend's 70th birthday bash. :beer:

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 14:42, Navy Bird said:

In the Martian's case, "OOB" means "Out On Bail."    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Nice one Bill. I shall of course make a note to return the compliment at an appropriate juncture.

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 15:01, bbudde said:

Thank's god! Better than it would be "Out Of Buisness"

Cheers

Thanks for your Teutonic support Bbudde.

18 hours ago, general melchett said:

It's OK, I've sent a few morse-code messages to friends stationed across the county, to be on high alert and report back any sightings, no matter how vague...

A photo ID has been circulated to the relevant authorities...don't think they'll have too much trouble finding him...

1-DSC-0610.jpg

All ports of entry have now been notified...a state of emergency may well result from the information I've received back...stay tuned.

Trouble is, a leopard can't change his spots but a Martian can!

IMG-20181110-161455.jpg

17 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Going by that picture you'd better also alert Specsavers and the fashion police.

The fashion police have already investigated and decided that there were no grounds for a prosecution to be brought. They did however caution me that I was not showing enough tentacles and grow some more. This is in hand.

Mars' Epitome of Sartorial Elegance. 👽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

On 1/19/2019 at 9:29 AM, Martian Hale said:

Thanks Bbudde, alright, I admit that I may have got the OOB ever so slightly wrong.

Your just jealous!

Martian 👽

On 1/19/2019 at 9:29 AM, Martian Hale said:

Your just jealous!

Martian 👽

sorry...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Vincenzo64 said:

sorry for the mistake;
on this site http://www.cmpr.it/manuali.htm
find many excerpts
of manuals of Italian aircraft, even the S79 ......

Many thanks Vincenzo, That is extremely useful information, not only for this build but also because I have a few other Italian builds in mind as well as a possible go at this subject in 1/48.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Eeugh, slimy. Better wear rubber gloves.

Gawd help us if the British Psychiatric Association ever discovers this forum.

They'll have enough material for a decade's worth of conferences....

'Ver' interestink. Tell me about your childhood.'

'Well doctor, I did a lot of Dogfight Doubles and used to have a Tirpitz next to Anne Boleyn.'

'My God nurse, ze patient is vorse zan I sort, first animal cruelty and zen somesink obscene in front of that poor woman. He is completely vizout shame!'

• Haha 5

That interior is spectacular - very nice job :)

I had always assumed 'Martian Hale' was a spelling mistake when creating your Britmodeller account...

How wrong I was...

I now know who to say hello to at Telford :)

Peter

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, amblypygid said:

Oh, sir, you (might) spoil us! It's wonderful enough in 1/72...

Next time I would do the job properly, rather than just make some vague interpretations as to the internals.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Eeugh, slimy. Better wear rubber gloves.

That has a very unpleasant connotation given my former profession! 🤮

55 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Gawd help us if the British Psychiatric Association ever discovers this forum.

They'll have enough material for a decade's worth of conferences....

'Ver' interestink. Tell me about your childhood.'

'Well doctor, I did a lot of Dogfight Doubles and used to have a Tirpitz next to Anne Boleyn.'

'My God nurse, ze patient is vorse zan I sort, first animal cruelty and zen somesink obscene in front of that poor woman. He is completely vizout shame!'

@Mike did tell me once that BM did have a team of shrinks but they all resigned in despair. I believe it had something to do with @general melchett, Nurse Mary Fletch-Brown, a toilet brush and Gerald the Hamster.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, airscale said:

That interior is spectacular - very nice job :)

I had always assumed 'Martian Hale' was a spelling mistake when creating your Britmodeller account...

How wrong I was...

I now know who to say hello to at Telford :)

Peter

Thanks Peter. I began BM life as a regular Earthling but when I was building a German Haunebu, another build that got more than a bit silly. our illustrious leader decided that I was a Martian. Although it was only meant apply to that particular thread, the name stuck and now I think I really have morphed into one. One benefit is that at Telford I am easy to find if anyone wants to talk to me and equally easy to spot in the more likely event that thy wish to avoid me! Still, it puts a smile on people's faces.

Martian 👽

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Back from darkest Kent, I decided to have a bash at part of the model that I had been putting off as I knew it had the potential to be a bit tricky. Over the bomb chutes, there is a large panel with a lot of perforations in it. In the pictures it looks like a set of dominoes having an orgy. The problem proved, as I had suspected, to get some of the perforations to line up with the chutes. I just seemed to keep going wrong no matter how carefully I measured things up. Eventually I managed to get an acceptable panel and added it's supporting structure and glued it in place on the model before it changed it's mind. The Eduard set supplies a framework for the bomb aimer's levers but this is too two dimensional for my liking so I made a new frame from .20 'thou plastic rod. This build is eating plastic stock like there is no tomorrow. Still it will at least keep @Navy Bird

happy.

I now face a really difficult task, namely locating the etched bomb aimer's levers that so very kindly leapt into the jaws of the carpet monster as I was trying to line up the part in the hold and fold machine. I see the next few hours being spent on my hands and knees (all five of them) looking for the wretched thing. Mrs Martian will be saying that I should keep my room tidy but she doesn't seem to realise that if I do tidy the room, the stuff in it will only rearrange itself as it sees fit, the minute my back is turned.

Enough waffle so on with the pictures and thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

066.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

069.jpg

070.jpg

• Like 13