Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Lebanese Style

Martian

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I'm loving all that framework. You are the Sovereign of Styrene, the Ruler of Rod, and the veritable Pundit of Poly. I'd doff my hat, but I don't have one. So you get a few of these:   :thumbsup2:   :thumbsup2:   :thumbsup2:

Now, for the question of the moment. I have the Italeri kit of this beastie, but I haven't looked at it in ages, nor could I remember if I had. Am I going to have to add all this framework to that kit when I get around to building it? An intriguing challenge, but I ain't gettin' any younger. 

Cheers,

Bill

Hello Bill !!

In fact, this kit is just a test shot for the sovereign of styrene !!

The ruler of rod is training for a 1/48 Fonderie miniature Aerosilurante !!

Knowing that our Dear Alien is a great fan of fonderie kit, he will surely try it !!:beer:

Sincerely.

CC

my mistake, it was'nt fonderie, but CA

s-l300

Edited by corsaircorp
correction
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thank you Roger. Incidentally, I think you are currently in the lead for the greatest number of sensible posts on this thread.

He'll get nowhere with that sort of behaviour.

(Apparently I've used up all my 'likes' for today.) :sad:

What is a bloke to do?

There's an Italeri SM79 on Amazon warehouse for about 13 quid.

Search model kits plastic

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

The very opposite of the general and his actress then...

Ian

You mean Georgina? 🤮 My shrink will be forwarding his account for the extra therapy I will be needing to get over that particular image.

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

He'll get nowhere with that sort of behaviour.

Disgraceful isn't it?

Shocked of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, longshanks said:

You've taken it to a whole new level :clap2:

Kev

Thanks Kev, it does seem to have strayed a bit from my original OOB plan.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

OOB? You funny guy!      :banghead:

Cheers,

Bill

Its a fair cop! :bobby: Throw on the bracelets, chink, chink, oh god I'm nicked (again).

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Bill !!

In fact, this kit is just a test shot for the sovereign of styrene !!

The ruler of rod is training for a 1/48 Fonderie miniature Aerosilurante !!

Knowing that our Dear Alien is a great fan of fonderie kit, he will surely try it !!:beer:

Sincerely.

CC

my mistake, it was'nt fonderie, but CA

s-l300

As it happens. I have actually thought about getting that particular kit or the trumpeter take on the subject.

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Reasonable postage too:

s-l1600.jpg

I wonder what the significance the SM.79 appearing on an issue of postage stamps is?

Curious of Mars 👽

• Like 2

You mean Georgina?  My shrink will be forwarding his account for the extra therapy I will be needing to get over that particular image.

I'm afraid that tactic won't cut any ice around here young Martian...Gag and my financial benefactor were both at Cambridge together and broke wind for their college...and besides, he'll be contacting you regarding the impropriety of dredging up painful memories of my beloved Georgina being disassembled into component parts by a cluster of landmines over a hundred years ago, even if some say I recovered from the trauma with what may be cruelly described as unseemly haste!

Edited by general melchett
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I wonder what the significance the SM.79 appearing on an issue of postage stamps is?

2008 issued series of "Aircraft of World War II – 1939-1945."

cm8104a-1213-1218-1931-1936-9931

I looked it up on my look-up thing.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Teuchter said:

With a Hurricane too...

Thanks I had not noticed that.

7 hours ago, general melchett said:

I'm afraid that tactic won't cut any ice around here young Martian...Gag and my financial benefactor were both at Cambridge together and broke wind for their college...and besides, he'll be contacting you regarding the impropriety of dredging up painful memories of my beloved Georgina being disassembled into component parts by a cluster of landmines over a hundred years ago, even if some say I recovered from the trauma with what may be cruelly described as unseemly haste!

Regardless of your Generalship's loss, the image of you and Georgina "getting it on" has left myself and I suspect anyone else reading this, severely traumatised and in need of suitable redress for our ills.

5 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

2008 issued series of "Aircraft of World War II – 1939-1945."

cm8104a-1213-1218-1931-1936-9931

I looked it up on my look-up thing.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, if one looks closely at the stamps, there are some pretty strange combinations on them; a Dornier Do 335 with an A-10 Thunderbolt.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

I have been laid up with fibromyalgia today so not a lot done. I have however, been trying to figure out the extra windows on the starboard side of the fuselage. Airframes L-111 and L-113 seem to have them whereas L-112 does not. The windows have natural metal surrounds so its pretty easy to tell from pictures whether they have been fitted or not. Needless to say, there are nowhere near enough pictures of the starboard fuselage side of these cabs, 'twas ever thus!

0-211040-f5ef81a9-orighhh.jpg

Above: an enlargement of L-112.

An added complication, the windows on L-113 seem to have been painted out, possibly from the inside, as no structure or anything else appears through them when it otherwise should. I am torn between doing L-112 without the windows or L-113 with the blacked out ones. I have left it too late to do clear windows as per L-111 without ripping a load of structure out which is clearly not going to happen.

Opinions welcome

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Union des Comores obviously not Brit-o-philes, either; 2 Japanese, a US, a German, a Russian & an Italian... but nothing Brit.  [Unless it’s an RAF C130.  Perhaps that’s it]

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Union des Comores obviously not Brit-o-philes, either; 2 Japanese, a US, a German, a Russian & an Italian... but nothing Brit.  [Unless it’s an RAF C130.  Perhaps that’s it]

Wellesleys with the Pe 2 ...

Don

• Like 2

I have been laid up with fibromyalgia today so not a lot done. 

Commiserations, I too suffer with Fibromyalghia/CFS (more the latter than the former)   so I can understand your pain,  thankfully I'm in the mild to moderate, so I can more or less function,   but it's still a right royal pain in the a** (should that be a*** oh you decide ). I find that modelling takes so much of my concentration that it distracts me from the nerve pain. I;'e recently started CPAP so my sleeping is improving and the general tiredness (but not the overall feeling of being unwell) is improving.

Enjoying the build and the random walks around the edge of sanity. :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Commiserations, I too suffer with Fibromyalghia/CFS (more the latter than the former)   so I can understand your pain,  thankfully I'm in the mild to moderate, so I can more or less function,   but it's still a right royal pain in the a** (should that be a*** oh you decide ). I find that modelling takes so much of my concentration that it distracts me from the nerve pain. I;'e recently started CPAP so my sleeping is improving and the general tiredness (but not the overall feeling of being unwell) is improving.

Enjoying the build and the random walks around the edge of sanity. :) 

Thanks Marklo, every so often I get a bad bout that can keep me almost bed ridden and such have been the last few days. I find the worst bit is the frustration of having everything I want to do grinding to a halt. I am going to try and get some more done this evening but perhaps I should try something a bit simpler on the model as I can't guarantee 100% concentration today.

I'm not so sure about walking round the edge of sanity. I was under the impression that we had more or less run over it and then reversed back over it with one of those land battleship thingies that the General keeps waffling on about.

Martian 👽

• Like 5

Fibromyalgia notwithstanding, I have managed to get some more done on this build.

I began by adding some structure to the ventral gondola, its a good job I like making aero structures, and added some of the Eduard etch to it. I am bing a bit selective about what etch I use as much of the sets are too two dimensional and a lot does not fit anyway, even though it was designed for this kit.

I did however, like the part for the radio and frame and added some plastic card to the backs of the radio equipment to give it some extra depth. There is a large plate just forward of the bomb racks, which may or may not have been armour plate, and which has some sort of hopper on it which I am guessing is for either ammunition stowage or for collecting spent cartridges. Either way this was knocked up from plastic card and added to the model. I scratch built a couple of folding seats that feature on either side of the fuselage and managed to use some bits from the Eduard set to tart up the interior between the flight deck and the bomb racks a bit.

There will now be a short intermission as I have to go to Kent for a couple of days and will not be back until tomorrow evening. However, I have not the slightest doubt that you will find some way to keep the thread warm for me!

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

059.jpg

060.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

064.jpg

061.jpg

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Good morning, Martian.

This insomnia business seems to be catching.

Some lovely detail there, as always.

Stay warm in Kent.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete.

Martian 👽

• Like 1