Hasegawa 1/48 Curtiss F-40E Warhawk

Here is my latest and final build for 2018: Hasegawa's 1/48 F-40E Warhawk in Brazilian markings from 1953. The decals are by FCM and are absolutely terrible. The paint is Mr Color 8 Silver. A full build article is at https://jonbryon.com/hasegawa-1-48-curtiss-f-40e-warhawk/. I am aware the area behind the rear canopy should probably be silver. Comments welcome and thanks for looking.

Jon

F40E_52.jpg

F40E_40.jpg

F40E_45.jpg

F40E_53.jpg

F40E_51.jpg

F40E_49.jpg

F40E_55.jpg

F40E_56.jpg

F40E_50.jpg

F40E_41.jpg

F40E_43.jpg

F40E_46.jpg

F40E_42.jpg

F40E_48.jpg

F40E_47.jpg

Edited by Jon Bryon
  • Like 38

Absolutely lovely build Jon. I love the shape of the P-40 and you have done it proud. Interesting to read your Blog rant about FCM decals as I have only ever heard good reports and in fact I have some to use on other subjects - I hope they are later versions!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

Jon,

Great build and a great finish but could you elaborate on the FCM decals please ?. I have several of their sheets for future projects and they look very attractive. It was alarming to read that you evidently had a bad experience with yours !.

Thanks

Mark

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tiger331 said:

but could you elaborate on the FCM decals please ?. I have several of their sheets for future projects and they look very attractive. It was alarming to read that you evidently had a bad experience with yours !.

Hi Mark

problems described in Jon's link https://jonbryon.com/hasegawa-1-48-curtiss-f-40e-warhawk/

he does note the newer sheets are printed by Microscale, older ones are the problem. 

• Like 1

Troy

Thanks.......I actually read Jon's blog shortly after posting my original message so I understand the issue is with the older sheets. IIRC the older, original issues did have a 'different' look right enough including B&W decal placement instructions.

Thanks

Mark 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the comments :)

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done Warhawk 👍 ... I wasnt aware these were known as F-40’s in Brazil ? I always thought they stayed P-40’s in Brazil, and didn't change with the USAF designation changeover from P to F.  

Yep, they became F-40E/K/M/N as you can see from the tail codes :) According to the book 'Curtiss P-40 in Brasil' this happened in 1952.

Jon

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...