1/72 - Douglas A-4E/F/M Skyhawk by HobbyBoss - released

Homebee

So, assuming I don't give a fig for slats down (because they offend my delicate aesthetic sensibilities), how accurate in terms of general shape is this kit? Has anyone seen it in person?

• Like 2

The price is very high for what is a relatively small kit.  You can pick up the Airfix kit for sub £10 in places.

As someone has mentioned, Eduard would make a killing releasing the Fujimi kit with a load of extra goodies.  So many stunning schemes to choose from.  Can anyone give them a nudge....!!  🙂

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Booty003 said:

The price is very high for what is a relatively small kit.  You can pick up the Airfix kit for sub £10 in places.

If the Airfix kit were an A-4E, I might, but the decals I want to use are for an A-4E. The kit can be found on ebay for $27 shipped to the USA, not amazing, I grant you, but it's hard to know if it's worth the money to me -- always subjective, I grant you -- without knowing what people think of the plastic proper.

• Like 1

I'm guessing/hoping those prices might settle down a bit after a few months. 

5 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Eduard would make a killing releasing the Fujimi kit with a load of extra goodies.  So many stunning schemes to choose from.  Can anyone give them a nudge....!! 

That is a cracking idea, I'm with you on that one @Booty003

Steve.

• Like 1

Hello,

got my Hobbyboss A-4E from a friend on a business trip to China.

In my opinion, the kit looks like an A-4 but only just. The upper profile of the nose is like the Exci one - straight while it should be a subtle curve. Like the Fujimi kit, the blending of the air intakes into the fuselage ends to far aft and the exhaust area is too fat. According to Isradecals  A-4 publication, page 106, the outer diameter of the extended exhaust pipe is 54.7cm, which is around 7.6mm for 1/72. There is a wedge shaped spacer between pipe and fuselage, I suspect the fuselage diameter is around 8mm there.

My favourite A-4 in 1/72 is a kitbash of Fujimi and Esci: Front fuselage, wings and landing gear from Fujimi, aft fuselage and horizontal tail from Esci.

Regards,

Martin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why to split mk.82 bombs into 3 parts??? And no separate slats and speed brakes is disappointing indeed. Airfix did much better job there. Honestly should Airfix bother about A-4C nose or further about A-4E intakes - it would be winner.

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 4

Would be more easy if they researched how many versions you could pour out with a single box by releasing a basic A-4 fuselage with a cut off vertical stab ala A-4M or A-4K with no ECM fairing and let modeller pick his own flavor by adding A-4M, A-4K (both for Kuwait and New Zealand), SuperFox. A-4AR and A-4H parts, then switch to a two-seater to do the same thing and finally making a "All in 1" A-4B/C box with parts for A-4B/C/P/Q/S models and call it a freaking day.

Luigi

Edited by Silverkite
  • Like 4

I

1 hour ago, planeart said:

Since i am responsible of it's box art...here it is...

5de0bbed8e4de.jpg

And we can see the mistakes, shallow canopy, wrong number and underscale access panels on top of wings, too shallow undernose fairing, definitely wrong perspective on TER's Mk.82s.

That's in the first 15 seconds.

4 minutes ago, Robertone139 said:

And we can see the mistakes...That's in the first 15 seconds.

I'm all for constructive criticism of the kits -- how else would we know if they're accurate? -- but this strikes me as venturing into needless rudeness. It's a painting, it's not the model. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I have to agree with my learned friend here. That was totally uncalled for. Constructive criticism is one thing, rubbishing someone's work is another thing entirely.

Well,  it seems that it DOES look good to everyone else after all, so nice job.

2 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

And we can see the mistakes, shallow canopy, wrong number and underscale access panels on top of wings, too shallow undernose fairing, definitely wrong perspective on TER's Mk.82s.

Tactful not. :(

Steve.

• Like 3

I agree box arts should not be 100% accurate. Although main airframe elements still should be present - such as wings, canopy, pilot if the art shows aircraft in flight, tail and stabilizer (hello Airfix :) )

Edited by Dennis_C

5 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

I

Show us your own paintings, then, we´re waiting...

• Like 4