1/48 - Boeing Bell MV-22 Osprey by HobbyBoss - released

Homebee

• 5 weeks later...

I am glad to see they are doing the Marine decals as current users.  I spoke to a guy in the Air force and they did not like the plane as it was a maintenance pig but the Marines will get the most out of it.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Harold55 said:

I am glad to see they are doing the Marine decals as current users.  I spoke to a guy in the Air force and they did not like the plane as it was a maintenance pig but the Marines will get the most out of it.

They might not like it but they need it.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/37738/americas-elite-flying-unit-that-made-the-recent-long-range-hostage-rescue-in-africa-possible

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Julien said:

None of the guys from Mildenhall mentioned about not liking it.

What would they know?  They only use it! :D

I think I'd like one of these.  <throws old Italeri kit right to the back of the loft>

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stephen said:

They might not like it but they need it.

100% agree.  The article is a very good example of why this is needed as it provides a capacity that no other aircraft has.   The guy I spoke with was in maintenance so his view i am sure was colored by that but in any case like it or not they have nothing else that could perform these types of missions so it will be in service until a replacement arrives, which could be decades out.

• Like 1

Here is a link on operating cost per flight hour for US aircraft.  Second graph is the most expensive aircraft to operate, its interesting.  Osprey costs more per hour than the B1-b (Cheapest one to operate is the A-10)

https://fighterjetsworld.com/air/maintenance-operating-costs-per-flight-hour-of-militarys-fighter-jets/11995/

But still a great aircraft when you need it to do a specific job.

Edited by Harold55
Sp
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Tempted, £100 ish kit though, physically big too for display purposes perhaps? never seen one in real life, how would it compare to say a 1/32 Mustang for display and shelf size? a 1/32 WW2 fighter is as large as I'm prepared to go for aircraft kits these days.

I thought the kits interior looked sparse, but so does a real ones LOL

Tempted :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, One 48 said:

Tempted, £100 ish kit though, physically big too for display purposes perhaps? never seen one in real life, how would it compare to say a 1/32 Mustang for display and shelf size? a 1/32 WW2 fighter is as large as I'm prepared to go for aircraft kits these days.

I’d say about the size, if not a little smaller, than a 1/32 WW2 fighter.

I’ve seen them at operational squadrons and on the production line while they were being built while I was training at Bell Helicopters.

• Like 1

I can just about spare £100 ish for this just now, just bought a Kinetic 1/48 AV8A to join my Harrier family, and been considering the HK 1/32 Lancaster nose kit that apparently goes for about £100 ish as well, what to do ? :)

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2021 at 8:12 PM, One 48 said:

Having built Hase's excellent 1/72nd, I'd say you'll need some extra space for the 1/48. Only F-14B and B-24D is bigger in my collection of 1/72nd birds.

• Like 2