B-24D 98th bomb group 1943 markings

P.o Prune

This may not be the right place to post this question, so feel free to move it to where ever it's appropriate.

I have just stumbled over somthing that puzzled me.

While looking at photographs of the B-24D's During operation "Tidal Wave" (the low level attack against Romanian oil fields in Ploesti )

I noticed that although the B-24 were using the USAAF insignia on wings and fuselage, the insignia on the vertical stabilizers were British (red white and blue)
Can anyone help with an explanation? It's the only place I've noticed this, so I'm a bit curious.

Thanks in advance.

RAF fin flashes were a common feature on USAAF aircraft in MTO starting in 1942 and some survivals had been still marked with them in 1944. HALPRO detachment got them when its posting to Far East had been canceled. I am not certain but I think it has something to do with Desert Air Force and later Allied Mediterranean Air Forces, to which USAAF units formally belonged to. Types of USAAF aircraft sporting fin flashes included P-39, P-40, B-17, B-24, B-25 , B-26, an odd Mustang and Spitfire and others. Cheers

Jure