RNZAF Avenger TBM.

Paul J

Having just finished my AEW build have moved on to build my original entry. The Hasegawa kit and use the Ventura decals. I won't be doing anything special with this build either as time is not on my side especially during January the following month I'll be embarking on my travels and won't be here to see the end of the GB. So enough blah blah and on with the build......

q41CmP.jpgBq44M6.jpg

The kit and decals.

0ivHUZ.jpg

Won't go on too much with captions as they are self explanatory... unless something interesting happens along the way...
yVbQVQ.jpg

9ar0yH.jpg

JsAVHL.jpg

FB2K26.jpg

Keeping interior detail to a minimum. Will probably add masking tape seat straps though.
ekP9rJ.jpg

Assemblies so far.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Paul J said:

9ar0yH.jpg

JsAVHL.jpg

Keeping interior detail to a minimum. 

Hasegawa seem to be ahead of you on that one.  Still, it's by far the best 1/72 kit of a WW2 version we have: will be watching with interest.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Hasegawa seem to be ahead of you on that one.  Still, it's by far the best 1/72 kit of a WW2 version we have: will be watching with interest.

At least there's something more than a peg for the pilot to perch on :lol: 

A few more in progress pics.

Yw8tL6.jpg

Cvoeya.jpg

Primed.
Bxdq4G.jpg

Thought I would save myself a lot of grief in dealing with the many frame lines and go for aftermarket masks. Montex ones in use here. Took about an hour to do.
bolUCa.jpg

Yl0H4p.jpg

gGCYMZ.jpg

This last one shows the turret with a blob of pink( or was) blue tack and the main canopy with masking tape to block any over spray when painting the frames.  The thing is I discovered I don't have any of the blues needed for WW2 USN types. So I will mix up the colours basing them on what I do have. No point in buying new pots when I don't plan to do any others in these colours.

So, the next thing is airbrushing the frames with a matt base to act as a key for the interior green then top coating them with the blue. Then working on the airframe colours with the white first.  

• Like 6

More pics but from last nights work.  Blue coloured strip is blu-tack but from a childs variation pack whuch comes in fun colours... still works the same. Anyway proceeded with masking for the blue..

vvgAc0.jpg

The canopy in place and the green airbrushed on for the framing. The pinky bit is maskol as the sticky mask for the 'skull cap' portion of the windscreen, I had noticed, had lifted.Hmm.
00BM8n.jpg

these top few pics are showing masking done and then.....
gkOIb4.jpg

u1btKn.jpg

..... the intermediate blue.  A lucky find in my paint box !!
6NOCAr.jpg

fZqV2E.jpg

My lucky find!! A jar of paint I didn't know I had and saved me from mixing.  Also came across some Xtracrylix sea blue gloss for the rest of the top. Was thinking of adding a shade of grey or blue to alter the hue a bit. What are your thoughts?

• Like 3

Quick update. Just had enough Sea Blue gloss to do the top sides with a couple or so coats. So I did not need to mess around with the colour or mix any up.  Will post up pics tonight.  Also will be adding all the final bits and decals. Could be finished this weekend.

Next paint stage pics with the non spec sea blue airbrushed on aided by cheap masking tape and blue blu tack.

jd9Dfb.jpg

BXxpp7.jpg

55Z5My.jpg

5ykA8t.jpg

BrknJA.jpg

Masking being removed process. Satisfying to see how it all pans out.

0lbMvu.jpg

Some of the bits to be added. I think the Avenger turret resembles R2-D2.
SMg70n.jpg

ri9Bc4.jpg

Above and below... getting there.
PPDNdO.jpg

Thats it for the moment. I am now off to brew up a hot water bottle and go to my shed and do some top coat gloss(Klear) and the decals. Tomorrow night should hopefully see the end of this build.

By the way, does any one know if the RNZAF  Avengers ever carry the rockets??

• Like 3

Almost there. Just came in from the cold with a couple more pics following a session with the Avenger build Glossed with Kear and Ventura decals all now applied. For now a couple pics. All being well I'll get it finished over the weekend.

Hlh7JE.jpg

dDnbLs.jpg

• Like 4

All done!!  Last pic of work before final decals and dulling down the glossy finish to a more weathered look. Pics of finished build over in the Gallery section.

3OcVpR.jpg

I added a couple drops of white to my matt varnish, all acrylic.  This gave a fairly satisfying faded look. And then very thinned down matt black run along panels which makes it look scruffy but is not preshaded !!

6S20u5.jpg

I painted a couple hatches in neat sea blue gloss to represent new freshly painted parts. A bit of artistic licence but I had the idea of making it look a little more interesting.  Do you think the panel line washes are a bit over done?  I feel it is a bit and it hasn't come out as expected :undecided:

By the way, I had a devil of a job getting the turret in place.. I made the mistake of fixing the long greenhouse canopy on before the turret. Won't happen again 'cos no more Avengers in my stash and at this time, hardly likely to find one again.

• Like 3