Colour Film,...HKAAF Spitfire`s,....plus some Harvards

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

My Canadian mate Jim Bates has sent this excellent film to me and as it if from the IWM I thought that you might like to see it too. It depicts the activities of the Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force during 1955 with its Spitfire 24`s Spitfire PR.19 & Harvards,....... hope you like it,...... pity about the music!!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

ThanksTony. You are right about the music, shame as the sound of Griffons is much better. At one stage there was talk of a 22 being restored to flight at Duxford, but do not know if it is still happening 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

Happy New Year!!! 

Re the footage ... no link visible....

Well it is there Paul..... everybody else seems to be able to view it OK mate. It shows colour footage of the HKAAF Spitfire 24`s. Maybe try it again later?

48 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Well it is there Paul..... everybody else seems to be able to view it OK mate. It shows colour footage of the HKAAF Spitfire 24`s. Maybe try it again later?

Yes Thanks Tony ! OK now !! Will watch again at home this evening. Noticed the PR19 and a couple of the 24 lacked underwing roundels or just one under port wing only. Nice close up if VN318/E. That one features on a decal sheet somewhere.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2018 at 16:56, Mr T said:

ThanksTony. You are right about the music, shame as the sound of Griffons is much better. At one stage there was talk of a 22 being restored to flight at Duxford, but do not know if it is still happening 

I recall it was the gate guard at RAF Abingdon. Saw it there on the gate and at Duxford in bits but not since.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 8:27 AM, Paul J said:

Happy New Year!!! 

Re the footage ... no link visible....

Well, using my iPad with the latest IOS (12.1.1) The ‘link’ appears as several lines of what appears to be Chinese or Japsnese text!

I’ll try to look using my Windows 10 (1809 update) laptop.

Happy new year everyone.

Jonny

Thanks Dave for the update, the info ration seems to be from 2015 and it looks as if it is being worked 'as and when'. Hopefully more progress now the Fiat CR42 is about done. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 9:20 PM, tonyot said:

732198077e3c22ab893c4125ad92ad57.jpg

I'll assume that the pilot is beginning to roll the aeroplane level to port,judging from the control inputs,

if not he's got some aileron reversal going on for a right bank!!!.

After a bit of "Googling",I see that good old Airfix did a rather nice 1/48th kit for the Mk.22/24 and a very nice 1/72nd kit of the Mk.22 

and that both can be made into very acceptable replicas.

Edited by DaveWilko

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 8:18 PM, tonyot said:

Hiya Folks,

My Canadian mate Jim Bates has sent this excellent film to me and as it if from the IWM I thought that you might like to see it too. It depicts the activities of the Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force during 1955 with its Spitfire 24`s Spitfire PR.19 & Harvards,....... hope you like it,...... pity about the music!!

Hi Tony.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  Like Paul J I can't actually see the link but managed to access the longer audio free version which JasonC posted.  Some fantastic pictures and great modelling inspiration.  Just bought Xtrakit's Mk22 with a view to converting it to a Seafire but now I really want a HKAAF Mk24.  Funnily enough I have seen photographs from this day before but failed to notice the PRXIX amongst the 24s. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Hi Tony.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  Like Paul J I can't actually see the link but managed to access the longer audio free version which JasonC posted.  Some fantastic pictures and great modelling inspiration.  Just bought Xtrakit's Mk22 with a view to converting it to a Seafire but now I really want a HKAAF Mk24.  Funnily enough I have seen photographs from this day before but failed to notice the PRXIX amongst the 24s. 

No worries mate,.... just glad you got to see it. I fancy doing one of the silver aircraft operated by 80 Sqn with W2 codes before they were handed over to the HKAAF myself. I`ll look forward to seeing your model,

All the best mate,

Tony

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great to see PS852 in the extended version. That's the aircraft featured in the Airfix PR.XIX kit. Just dug it out of the stash, might build it now! 

Thanks for sharing the films, very interesting. 👍