Anyone know whats up with availability of Airfix 1/24 Typhoon bubble canopy?

TPReggie

Hi all, 

I havent modelled for a while for various reasons, about 18 months, and am just starting again. I have been looking for an Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon - but not the car door version, I have found a couple of e-bay, but just wondering have I missed something? General availability now seems to only be for the car door version, even Airfix's own shop has only that model. I have also looked on all my regular online hobby shops, and found nobody has them in stock. Has the bubble canopy version been discontinued - or am I imagining things?

I just checked Sprue Bros. Here in the states out of curiosity. Only 4 Airfix 1/24 kits available and two of those are shown out of stock. The 2 available are the mustang & Spitfire Mk.1. The other two that are out of stock being the Harrier and “Car” door Tiffy. It is possible they're burning through old stocks, possibly to release a new version of some of the 1/24 kits ? Maybe they will re-issue the other Tiffy in that if thats what theyre doing. 

Dennis

The bubble top was the initially released version, it was discontinued then followed a couple of years later by the car-door version.

I'm sure Airfix will re-release the bubble-top again, it was clear from the moulds that there was always the intention to release both versions so it's not like the mould has been permanently altered to make the change.  Given that its the 75th anniversary of D-Day next year I wouldn't be surprised if they released a batch of bubble-tops to coincide with that.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TPReggie said:

Hi all, 

I havent modelled for a while for various reasons, about 18 months, and am just starting again. I have been looking for an Airfix 1/24 Hawker Typhoon - but not the car door version, I have found a couple of e-bay, but just wondering have I missed something? General availability now seems to only be for the car door version, even Airfix's own shop has only that model. I have also looked on all my regular online hobby shops, and found nobody has them in stock. Has the bubble canopy version been discontinued - or am I imagining things?

They don't do continuous production.  They make a run of a kit and then when they're all sold, either directly to consumers or into the trade, they're all gone from Airfix - and when the trade sells all of them, then they're gone until the next run. The kit came out in 2014 so there may be the odd one or two lurking on dusty shop shelves but apart from those then your best chance is the sales and wants section here, and the usual auction site.