1/72 Revell F-4J Phantom II VF-84 Jolly Rogers

Hi everyone, and happy upcoming new year!

First time modeller, new member. Wanted to share this out of the box build using the simplest tool setup I could find on a side-table in my uni room. Kit went together just using the Revell contacta glue, Revell aqua color paints thinned with tap-water, and a £5 brush pack. Decals were applied using Revell's decal fix to form around the detail. For a first attempt, actually quite happy with the result, definitely inspires to keep going!

Next step might be to use some Milliput superfine putty for the gaps, and use Revell's Aqua color mix for the thinning as opposed to tap-water.

Looking to stick to brushpainting with acrylics, personally think it might be more enjoyable and much easier to setup/maintain, you can listen to music while you're at it without a rattling compressor nearby, not to mention I've seen some astounding results with them like the works of @PlaStix here on the forums.

Looking forward to all the feedback!!

Cheers, Ed.

IMG-20181227-WA0002

IMG-20181227-WA0007

IMG-20181227-WA0005

IMG-20181225-WA0002

IMG-20181224-WA0003

IMG-20181227-WA0000

Edited by ed_rocketman
  • Like 29

First timer you say. Nice work. I'm no beginner but I'd be pleased with that.

Coincidentally I bought that very kit only the other day. I'm a bit of a Phantom phreak. Must get to building it.

I'll brush paint it too. Nothing wrong with brush painting if you've seen the work of Tony O'Toole the brush painting maestro. You'll understand.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

Really nice job on that Ed, I'm well impressed & looking for one of these for myself.  :)

I've just been having another look at this, I do like your crew figures, especially the back seater's slight head tilt, it looks so realistic, but I'm not seeing a back seater in the kit instructions, where did yours come from?

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

@noelh Thanks! Phantoms are instant wins, and its a great kit for the price as well :D will definitely check Tony's work out!

@Courageous Ahaha, indeed, thought it would be more interesting to go for a semi-fictional "strike phantom" bomb-truck config. Had two kits as I messed up the canopy (acetone print when removing paint), so the extra pylons came spare.

@stevehnz Thanks Steve! :DIt's a great kit for the price, but will require some extra work on the panel fits, there are some gaps to take care of. You are right about the figures, I ended up buying a second kit off ebay (£10) to replace a canopy which I messed up when trying to remove some paint (acetone fingerprint burnt into the clear plastic), so the second pilot figure and extra ordnance came as a bonus, plus some scrap plastic to test painting on.

@dolphin38 Thank you! Indeed the Phantom is a beauty all around.

@RidgeRunner Thanks Martin!

Edited by ed_rocketman
  • Thanks 1

Great to see this kit being built by you. I am building the same kit at the moment. I have built WW2 1/48 kits for years but have recently decided to build Vietnam Era aircraft  1/72 and am starting with this one. I have decided to rub down all the panel lines and re-scribe it. Oh what fun. I am going to do it as WIP so will post some photos soon. 

I have to say that I am impressed with your paint-work. I would not recognise that as a brush finish. Did you use Revell Aqua 75 for the top surfaces? 

@Justin M Hi Justin! Thank you for your comment! I will certainly keep an eye out for your WIP on the Phantom :) In fact I've decided to deviate a bit and use the Revell 76 Aqua Lightgrey USAF Matt Acrylic, but essentially quite similar. Thinned it with water on the top of an old tupperware lid to the point where the paint just about clings to the plastic. The finish took about 2-3 coats without any primer on the plastic. What I learned this time round is that with brushes you'd want to take on a tiny bit of paint and scrub it onto the surface in all directions.

Now I dont know if I just got a bad batch, but the Revell 15 Aqua Yellow Matt Acrylic and Revell 05 Aqua White Matt Acrylic arrived quite thick in the pot and were very difficult to paint on, something like 8 coats and the plastic + brush strokes shine through. Maybe recommend looking into the Aqua Color Mix they've got to fix the consistency.

Totally with you on the Cold War era/Vietnam theme. Heller is doing an EC-121 Warning Star (essentially a Super Constellation AWACS from the time) in 1/72 and goes for £25-35 on eBay. 100% will get my hands on that once I'm perfectly happy with the finish on my models :D

@Hamiltonian Thank you! :D looking forward to the journey!

Edited by ed_rocketman