1/72 Revell Shackleton AEW2 Christmas build

Hi all and here's my last finish for 2018.
I built this one OOB as part of a 'Secret' GB on a Facebook modelling group page - the rules were simple; you couldn't tell or show anyone what you were building!

That worked fine for me as the kit was a Christmas present for my neighbour who's a relation of Sir Ernest Shackleton. I wanted to say thanks for all his help during the year (taking in parcel deliveries when we're not home/cutting our verge to name just two) and thought this would be nicer than a bottle of wine. I dropped the kit around to him on Christmas night and he was absolutely gobsmacked with it - he never knew there was a plane named after his famous relative. He was like a big kid, asking me all about the kit and the hobby.

Overall, the kit fitted together nicely and the wing spar gives a really strong, positive wing-to-fuselage join. The decals were great but some of the instruction steps could be clearer. e.g. for the props which meant the spinners aren't 100% flush. Also, the u/c parts could be a lot simpler - trying to align 5 parts with their mounting holes was a 😡

But she looks like a Shackleton and I'm happy how it turned out. And building for someone else was great fun too.

45559556455_330571f9d9_b.jpgRevell_Shackleton_AEW_2_ (1) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

46472534531_62f6f8a53f_b.jpgRevell_Shackleton_AEW_2_ (2) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

45559554745_0a21dc728a_b.jpgRevell_Shackleton_AEW_2_ (3) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

46472533411_81fe873637_b.jpgRevell_Shackleton_AEW_2_ (4) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

45559549375_f09cbe1521_b.jpgRevell_Shackleton_AEW_2_(8) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

45559551085_5d158ac0bf_b.jpgRevell_Shackleton_AEW_2_ (6) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

46472530981_db34952cef_b.jpgRevell_Shackleton_AEW_2_ (7) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and have a very Happy Christmas.

Dermot

• Like 58
  • Thanks 2

What a cracking model Dermot and such a kind sentiment too,..... I bet he treasures it! I started mine and just couldn`t get into it so it went back into the box part started, nothing seemed to fit,.... so it is reassuring to see one finished,...... it is possible after all!!

Hope you had a nice Christmas and hope that 2019 is kind to you,

Cheers

Tony   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, canberraman said:

Damn. that must have been hard parting with her! A great model of an Avro classic that your neighbour should be justly proud of.

Mark

Thanks Mark and yes, was a little hard to see her go! But that look on my neighbour's face was worth it.

4 hours ago, tonyot said:

What a cracking model Dermot and such a kind sentiment too,..... I bet he treasures it! I started mine and just couldn`t get into it so it went back into the box part started, nothing seemed to fit,.... so it is reassuring to see one finished,...... it is possible after all!!

Hope you had a nice Christmas and hope that 2019 is kind to you,

Cheers

Tony   

Cheers Tony and best wishes to you and yours!

2 hours ago, WhitleyZ6743 said:

Looking good!

Aren’t Revell releasing a Mk.3 in 2019? 

Yes, from what one of the lads in the model club told me, a Mk.3 is on the way!

Lovely job Dermot, I didn't know you did commission builds, and so quick too.

Any chance you could get this one done for me by Hogmanay ?

IMG_4090

Im not completely unreasonable, you don't need to put it in a bottle until 2019 !

cheers Pat

• Haha 2

Hi Dermot,

a striking build to your credit! Outstanding present, and O so thoughtful of you! Call me when you want your hedge trimmed! Wink, wink!

Congrats!

JR

• Like 1

Such an amazing job there.

The Shackleton is a big part of me as well, I would not be alive if it wasn't for this aircraft.

My grandfather was offered the chance to work on the Shackleton during his RAF career, so he relocated his family from Yorkshire to Cornwall to work with aircraft when they first went to Cornwall in RAF St Eval. 

His daughter, my mother came down too, met a Cornishman and here I am. He would have stayed in Yorkshire otherwise and my parents would not have crossed paths.

His Stories fueled my passion for the aircraft and aircraft in general, and you can see by my profile image too.

I've built 4 shacks, two Airfix Shacks, the Revell kit and the old frog kit. Revell kit was my favourite of the two and it was a joy to build. 

You've done an amazing job to capture the image of those 10,000 rivets flying in close formation 

Big thumbs up from me 👍

On 12/30/2018 at 10:41 AM, thepureness said:

Such an amazing job there.

The Shackleton is a big part of me as well, I would not be alive if it wasn't for this aircraft.

My grandfather was offered the chance to work on the Shackleton during his RAF career, so he relocated his family from Yorkshire to Cornwall to work with aircraft when they first went to Cornwall in RAF St Eval. 

His daughter, my mother came down too, met a Cornishman and here I am. He would have stayed in Yorkshire otherwise and my parents would not have crossed paths.

His Stories fueled my passion for the aircraft and aircraft in general, and you can see by my profile image too.

I've built 4 shacks, two Airfix Shacks, the Revell kit and the old frog kit. Revell kit was my favourite of the two and it was a joy to build. 

You've done an amazing job to capture the image of those 10,000 rivets flying in close formation 

Big thumbs up from me 👍

Wow, thanks very much indeed 😊