a350-900 to 1000 conversion 1/144

phil1

after an exasperating period of non progress I've eventually got my act together with this project 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I must have bought the last remaining set in existence of the a330/a340 virgin 26 decals. managing to accidentally tear off the 'virg' and although I have spares from the 787 pas decals which are precisely the same size...they are not as sharp as the 26 decals and there is a noticeable difference on close inspection. the full 'virgin atlantic' titles under the fuselage are from the 26decals set but are for the underside of the fuselage and are slightly smaller, so I can't use them. 

spacer.png

I had to completely remodel the sharklets. It wasn't possible to file them into the right shape as they are much chunkier then the slender ones that I assumed the a35k came with. Instead of reshaping scrap plastic I've went with a mostly milliput wingtip which means its a bit more fragile so more care will be needed. I also took the opportunity to strengthen the wing where it meets the wingtip by adding an extra layer off plastic as I actually snapped it previously.

spacer.png

The engines are now primed and ready for a few coats of red, I'll do the red wingtips at the same time. the fan blades are missing from the engines as I've decided to add them last. 

spacer.png

a quick mock-up of how it will look. hoping for some serious progress this week

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 8

Coming along nicely. Good work on the sharklets...funny how its so frustrating when a part isn't quite right, and a new one needs to be fashioned from scratch?? Juts increases the skill level! School never stops! Nicely done. I really like the red finish on the tail. 😀

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2019 at 11:50 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Looking the part now Phil,

I have had a lack mojo recently and only just got a good session at the bench yesterday.

glad to hear it mate, hopefully you'll have some good work on the way? I've had a minor lapse again however I should be finished this in the next couple of days without any hiccups

phil

On 5/13/2019 at 2:48 PM, Gimme Shelter said:

wow - what a monster and looking very good so far

cheers mate, its a hell of a stretch, a good rival for the 777

phil

On 5/13/2019 at 3:54 PM, Challenger350Pilot said:

Coming along nicely. Good work on the sharklets...funny how its so frustrating when a part isn't quite right, and a new one needs to be fashioned from scratch?? Juts increases the skill level! School never stops! Nicely done. I really like the red finish on the tail. 😀

thanks mate, the sharklets were a nightmare, them and the wing extension was just scrap plastic sanded into a new trailing edge. learnt loads on this build, there would be plenty i'd do differently if i could start again

phil

The only arduous task with the engines was to scratch build a new exhaust cone as I'd lost the other one

spacer.png

spacer.png

all the decals are now on the fuselage. This model will wear the registration G-VLUX. The shorter 900 (skyteam) in the background remains unfinished!

spacer.png

spacer.png

under belly markings are also now on, plenty of fuselage detail has been lost due to the cost of conversion so some have been replaced by decals

spacer.png

The cargo doors and emergency pilot exit decals are a bit heavy for me but are the only airbus examples I had in my stash

spacer.png

I used a decal set with letters to produce the 'airbus a350-1000' up close they don't look as straight as i would have liked but I had to painstakingly apply them 1 at a time

spacer.png

can you spot the fake engine exhaust cone? found some nice RR engine decals and applied them on a small white piece of decal rather then them look transparent. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

the project would be finished now if i hadn't:

1. snapped off the edge of the horizontal stabilizer - needs a new plastic edge and sanded to size (and painted AGAIN)

2. buffed through the paintwork on the main wing - needs resprayed

hopefully be completed next couple of days and on RFI

thanks 

Phil

• Like 1

100% gorgeous mode and well worth the wait while watching the WIP - forgive me as I am sure you make mention of it but what red have you used please? I used Alcad II Candy Red on my Virgin 787-9 last year but your colour looks nicer?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 9:22 AM, Gimme Shelter said:

100% gorgeous mode and well worth the wait while watching the WIP - forgive me as I am sure you make mention of it but what red have you used please? I used Alcad II Candy Red on my Virgin 787-9 last year but your colour looks nicer?

hello mate, sorry for late reply just came back from my holidays. Its de-canted tamiya TS95 metallic red. my previous attempts with the 787 and a340 were TS18 metallic red....on first glance they seemed identical but the TS95 definitely looks better but that might be down to the fact that I applied more coats. Its worth bearing in mind for both tamiya finishes i buffed it with novus scratch remover, otherwise it looks quite bland. 

i havent used alclad candy red yet, my guess that's probably better to use the alclad if you don't intend to buff the tamiya metallic finish - hope that helps!

phil