1/144 - Douglas C-133A & B Cargomaster by Roden - C-133A & B released - new boxing with Thor IRBM

Homebee

1 hour ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I don't make anything, other than my own models 🙂

The Thor trailer unit did not go into the C-133, it was transferred onto specially made transport dolly, which should be a straight forward to scratch build.

The only Thor trailer/erector/tractor unit I know of, was made by a company called BW models it was largely white metal in HO scale. Its long out production, I'm afraid. I have a couple tucked away and intend replace the vac form Thor that came with the kit with Belcher Bits Thor kit. I know there is a slight scale discrepancy, but it should be hardly noticeable.

Tommo 

That's what I meant, the transfer dolly.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

New boxing - ref. 336 - Douglas C-133 Cargomaster with PGM – 17 Thor IRBM

Source: http://www.roden.eu/HTML/336.html

Douglas C-133A w / PGM-17 Thor IRBM - mobile strategic aircraft complex consisting of a C-133 aircraft and a PGM-17 Thor missile. The main goal was to quickly deliver intermediate-range ballistic missiles by transport aircraft to remote points on other continents in order to place the missiles as close as possible to the borders of a potential adversary. From 1959 to 1963, missiles of this type were transported to the territory of Great Britain with the help of the C-133A. In October 1962, when humanity was on the brink of a full-fledged global nuclear conflict, the PGM-17 Thor, operational at British bases, was one of the key factors in forcing the Soviet Union to reverse its decision to deploy its missiles in the immediate vicinity of US borders, on the island of Cuba. After the de-escalation of political tensions in the world, all PGM-17 Thors based in the United Kingdom were soon returned to the United States by means of the same C-133A transport.

336-900px.jpg

C-133-Thor1.jpg

C-133-Thor3.jpg

336-dec.jpg

Ramka-K.jpg

V.P.

• Like 5

• Homebee changed the title to 1/144 - Douglas C-133A & B Cargomaster by Roden - C-133A & B released - new boxing with Thor IRBM
12 minutes ago, armored76 said:

Did anyone built this kit already? I wonder how good the fit and details are.

I have both A and B versions.

It is an okayish kit: mouldings are poor, lots of flashes and sink marks everywhere, joints from sprues to parts are quite thick, surface finish is rough, recessed details a little heavy, overall detailing very simple but IMHO just enough in this scale. Accuracy looks to be ok, so is the fit. The decal sheet is the usual Roden stuff, bleeding colours and imprecise patterns.

I am certain it is better than the Nostalgic Plastics resin kit but this Roden effort makes you think it was tooled in the 1980s.

With Roden, it is really hit and miss in terms of moulding quality but I still like this kit, do not ask me why.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Possibly because, like me, you appreciate the choice of subjects? 😊

The kits are basically good and, I can live with their little foibles. I certainly liked the the original versions of the kit.

John

Absolutely correct !

I have the feeling Roden's kits were better tooled/moulded 10 years ago. They did not improve the overall experience in the same way ICM did, but their subjects are still mighty exciting.

While not at today's standard (if there is such "today standard" ?), I can still live with the flashes and coarse mouldings, the C-133 is such an exciting beast.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stefan Buysse said:

Hi,

Is there any difference in the plastic contained in the C-133A and C-133B boxing?

Cheers, Stefan. 

Yes, the rear fuselage sprue is different between A and B versions.

The A version sprue contains the rear fuselage parts and original inward opening cargo door while the B version sprue contains the different rear fuselage parts and larger outward opening cargo door. The rest of the kit is identical.

I ordered these kits from Germany at very friendly prices so I am not shocked by the roughness of the kit, it could have been better but it is also the only widely available IM kit of this beast so I still thank Roden for releasing it. I'll be very happy to make a start in a few weeks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Silver Seraph said:

Yes, the rear fuselage sprue is different between A and B versions.

The A version sprue contains the rear fuselage parts and original inward opening cargo door while the B version sprue contains the different rear fuselage parts and larger outward opening cargo door. The rest of the kit is identical.

Thanks,

I too am glad that there is an IM kit of this beast.

Until a few years ago, there was a modeller who had served on C-133's: Phil Brandt. After the C-133's, he flew F-111's and his name was on the original box-art of the 1/48 Monogram F-111A.

Cheers, Stefan. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 10:28 PM, Stefan Buysse said:

Thanks,

I too am glad that there is an IM kit of this beast.

Until a few years ago, there was a modeller who had served on C-133's: Phil Brandt. After the C-133's, he flew F-111's and his name was on the original box-art of the 1/48 Monogram F-111A.

Cheers, Stefan. 

Forgive brief diversion, but it's astonishing to think that he passed away nearly 10 years ago. His tongue-in-cheek 'Bondo Industries Difficult Kit Division' (or something like that) always raised a mixture of a smile and admiration as he set about making Mach 2's finest products seem to go together as though they'd been produced by Tamiya.

Sorry, back to the C-133. What have they done to the RAF roundels for the Thor?