1/144 - Douglas C-133A & B Cargomaster by Roden - C-133A & B released - new boxing with Thor IRBM

Homebee

• 4 weeks later...

Looks impressive and one will certainly be making its way here. It's a big kit and the reasonable price point makes the C-5's high cost seem even more questionable. (three and a bit of these for one Galaxy :hmmm:)

How is the quality of Roden kits, overall? 

Well, I've built several now and so far, personally speaking, I don't have any complaints, taking into consideration their limited-run nature.

• 2 months later...

Succumbed to temptation and ordered two!! Not a great fan of natural metal finishes though. One of them at least will be done  in the S E Asia camouflage scheme!

Allan

• Like 1

I'm more than happy to be proved wrong but I simply can't find any evidence that C 133 was ever finished in camouflage. As far as I can make out it was nearly always a variation of a nat metal finish. The only exception I can find was one machine at Da Nang in 1966 which was an overall light grey and that appears very much to be the exception.

That said there are some great nat metal schemes including those with dayglo and this oddity:

414259698.jpg

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I'm more than happy to be proved wrong but I simply can't find any evidence that C 133 was ever finished in camouflage. As far as I can make out it was nearly always a variation of a nat metal finish. The only exception I can find was one machine at Da Nang in 1966 which was an overall light grey and that appears very much to be the exception.

That said there are some great nat metal schemes including those with dayglo and this oddity:

414259698.jpg

Tom

On 7/16/2019 at 7:11 PM, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Interesting.

I have never seen a C-133 in camo before.

Tommo

Neither have I. It will be pure fiction ! My other model will be in the "proper" natural metal finish

Allan

• Haha 1

I simply can't find any evidence that C 133 was ever finished in camouflage

They weren't, all were either natural metal. natural metal and white, (both styles seen with orange Dayglo stripes) and a few experimental ADC Grey (at least one with white) exceptions such as 54-0141 and 54-0135, seen wearing this scheme during their MATS days, later returned to their natural metal finish when serving with MAC. (Interestingly 54-0141 is included in the new Caracal sheet).........I'm guessing Allan's whiffing it. 

C-133A 54-0141 in ADC Grey

C-133A 54-0135 Grey and white scheme

Also this amazing looking scheme, which I'm sorely tempted by...

C-133A 54-0136

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, SeaVenom said:

Here's where it's designers got their inspiratiopn........

https://firebreathingdimetrodon.wordpress.com/tag/the-magic-roundabout/

Thanks for posting that SeaVenom, bookmarked it and I'll go exploring when I have more time. Loads of stuff from childhood on there, was only last week thinking about Ace Of Wands, Children Of The Stones and HR Puff'n Stuff!

Paul Harrison

10 hours ago, general melchett said:

I'm guessing Allan's whiffing it. 

C-133A 54-0141 in ADC Grey

C-133A 54-0135 Grey and white scheme

Also this amazing looking scheme, which I'm sorely tempted by...

C-133A 54-0136

You guess correctly sir!. I do have to confess though that I am equally, sorely tempted by the dayglo/natural metal example in your photo. By sheer coincidence, 54-0136 also appears on the Caracal sheet so, not only I will have to buy that as well, I might even have to buy another couple of kits!! A truly AWFUL dilemma!🤣

Allan 

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 2

For those who haven't seen it  and do facebook, there is an excellent group there. Search 'unsung giant c-133'.

It owned by Cal Taylor who flew them and has also written the definative book on the subject. 

I also have a spare new copy and I am in the UK. PM me if interested.

On 7/18/2019 at 3:37 AM, GreenDragon said:

Thanks for posting that SeaVenom, bookmarked it and I'll go exploring when I have more time. Loads of stuff from childhood on there, was only last week thinking about Ace Of Wands, Children Of The Stones and HR Puff'n Stuff!

Paul Harrison

You're welcome and I must have a nose around there too.   It was almost called the Dougal Z Cargomaster after a mix of  Dougals black protruberence and Zeberdy's conc.   

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don' forget Caracal Models dedicated decals sheet - ref. CD144021 - Douglas C-133 Cargomaster

Sources:

http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd144021.html

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/307990-cd144021-1144-c-133-cargomaster/&do=findComment&comment=2958584

The options on this decal sheet are:

• C-133A Cargomaster 54-0145
  • C-133A Cargomaster 54-0135
  • C-133A Cargomaster 54-0140 "Spirit of Santa Monica Schools"
  • C-133B Cargomaster 59-0524 Air Force Flight Test Center
  • C-133A Cargomaster 54-0141
  • C-133A Cargomaster 56-2011
  • C-133B Cargomaster 59-0529
  • C-133A Cargomaster 56-2014
  • C-133A Cargomaster 56-2002
  • C-133A Cargomaster 54-0136
  • C-133A Cargomaster N200AR Foundation for Airborne Relief
  • C-133A Cargomaster N199AB

cd144021profiles2.jpg

cd144021.jpg cd144021b.jpg

V.P.

• Like 3

Source: https://www.facebook.com/RodenKits/posts/3132470336769364

Dear Friends! We are thrilled to announce the new releases of November- Model No. 335 Douglas C-133B Cargomaster, scale 1:144
The C-133B Cargomaster was an American heavy-duty transport aircraft designed in the late 1950s. At one time it was the largest aircraft in its class, and the only one that could transport almost the entire range of arms of the US Army of any size.

75407776-3132457390103992-54285612545013

Decals

78416292-3132458413437223-69490630898451

V.P.

• Like 2

Yes the Cal Taylor book is excellent, I even got to email him once. I just want a good picture of the anti stall strip they put on the left wing. Wonder if anyone make 1/144 ICBMs that cold be displayed squeezing into the '133, would make a nice dio.

1 hour ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Wonder if anyone make 1/144 ICBMs that cold be displayed squeezing into the '133, would make a nice dio.

Yes, New Ware make a range that cover all the main types. I already had their Thor ready and waiting for this kit.

https://mek.kosmo.cz/newware/

Tommo.

3 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Yes, New ware make a range. I already had their Thor ready and waiting for this kit.

https://mek.kosmo.cz/newware/

Tommo.

Did you make the loading trailer to?

10 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Did you make the loading trailer to?

I don't make anything, other than my own models 🙂

The Thor trailer unit did not go into the C-133, it was transferred onto specially made transport dolly, which should be a straight forward to scratch build.

The only Thor trailer/erector/tractor unit I know of, was made by a company called BW models it was largely white metal in HO scale. Its long out production, I'm afraid. I have a couple tucked away and intend replace the vac form Thor that came with the kit with Belcher Bits Thor kit. I know there is a slight scale discrepancy, but it should be hardly noticeable.

Tommo