Zvezda Me Bf 109 F-2 "Easy Kit" or so they say.

jean

Hi everyone,

I have just started the Zvezda easy assembly kit of the Me Bf 109 F-2. 

Bf 109 F-2  a

I am actually quite impressed with this kit, as it is light years ahead of the HobyBoss Easy Assembly kits. I know, as I started quite a while back a Dewoitine D 520, and I lost my motivation while attempting to create a credible cockpit. 

No such problems with Zvezda, who delivers a rather exciting cockpit.

Here is a photo after I sprayed a coat of aluminium paint to help with creating some scuffing/scratches after the RLM 66. I did add some PE rudder pedals, but I am wondering why , as nothing will ever be visible again. I guess I will sleep better knowing it is there. A set of PE seat harness is waiting in the aisle as well.

Bf 109 F-2 b

The only problem to date is about the fit, which could be better under the wings and on the tail. Any puttying and sand papering has to be done painstakingly slowly in order not to destroy the delicate panel lines and rivets. Not sure everything will be left unscathed, but so far so good. Photos on the next post.

Re the paint scheme, I think the kit's decal sheet is of very average quality, so I am doing a scheme from an Xtradecal sheet.

Bf 109 F-2 c

It is the second from the top. Since I built the ancient Airfix Me Bf 109 G-6 as a kid, I have always wanted to do another JG 53 Messerschmitt, better built than the first one!

Only problem: I cannot find a photo of that particular aircraft... So  will extrapolate and do the same aircraft, earlier in its career, with most of the area forward of the cockpit painted yellow! It is suitably garish, and I can't wait!

So if any of you has any tips concerning this build or my chosen paint scheme, please let me know!

Cheers.

JR

• Like 8

For filling work around delicate detail, I highly recommend Perfect Plastic Putty - it's water based and has no structural strength (so you can't use it for wingtips or the like), but for places where it's tough to sand, it has no peer! Apply, allow to dry, then using a damp brush/finger/cotton bud/cloth/whatever, simply wash away the bits that don't need to be there. After you're done, a quick light coat of undercoat will protect it until it's time for paint.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Rob G said:

For filling work around delicate detail, I highly recommend Perfect Plastic Putty - it's water based and has no structural strength (so you can't use it for wingtips or the like), but for places where it's tough to sand, it has no peer! Apply, allow to dry, then using a damp brush/finger/cotton bud/cloth/whatever, simply wash away the bits that don't need to be there. After you're done, a quick light coat of undercoat will protect it until it's time for paint.

Hi Rob,

yes I have read about the Perfect Plastic Putty, but I have never been able to get any. That will have to be for my next UK trip. In the meantime I soldier on with the White Putty from Squadron, which I quite like. Unless it is 45 Celsius like now, and it dries almost before you can use it! 

Cheers

JR

I built two of these. The only thing I found at all tricky was that the canopies seemed a little too long and needed to be trimmed/sanded to fit. I was very happy with how they came out, and I'd certainly do more if I was bitten by some colour schemes.

Hi guys,

@Mitch K and @azureglo you guys have produced little gems.

Mine will be brush painted, so is unlikely to have the same finesse, but will do my best!

Mitch and Anil, I am not bitching, far from it. I am really enjoying this kit. Just slightly peeved at myself because the fit of the wing parts on the underside should have been better, but this is being sorted out (it slightly negates the "fast" build advert!). Plus for some reason my kit is missing the right machine gun in front of the cockpit, so some scratching in the offing.

I have already hollowed out the supercharger intake, but if I suspect the one from my Italeri 109 F is better (more than likely the case), then I will use it instead.

The canopy lugs are definitely coming off.

Anyway, will soldier on without rushing (I love this delicate panel lines) and hopefully will post some pics in the New Year.

Have an excellent New Year, all of you!

JR

• Like 1

Hi Jean,

This is one of the favorite kits of mine.It also mMaybe most accurate Bf 109F and forward kit so far.

A few comments based on my experience of it:

- Air intake is only for early F, later had thicker ones as in most of the other kits. Italeri F I dont recall out of memory.

- I think Zvezd had the F-series early prop blades,

- Fin needs some thinning done to get better fit,

- Also fuselage location lugs might be good idea to remove,

- Moluding sink marks can be overcome with a layer or two of Mr Surfacer or some other putty,

- Aileron balances are missing from this kit but as you have the Italeri they can be sourced from it.

Happy modellling!

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, AaCee26 said:

Hi Jean,

This is one of the favorite kits of mine.It also mMaybe most accurate Bf 109F and forward kit so far.

A few comments based on my experience of it:

- Air intake is only for early F, later had thicker ones as in most of the other kits. Italeri F I dont recall out of memory.

- I think Zvezd had the F-series early prop blades,

- Fin needs some thinning done to get better fit,

- Also fuselage location lugs might be good idea to remove,

- Moluding sink marks can be overcome with a layer or two of Mr Surfacer or some other putty,

- Aileron balances are missing from this kit but as you have the Italeri they can be sourced from it.

Happy modellling!

Cheers,

AaCee

Hi AaCee,

thanks for your comments, they are most appreciated. Although I think the 109 F is definitely the best looking of the 109s, it is the first kit of this series that I build! It is never too late!

Re the prop blades, as you are mentioning them, I find them overly thick, and I have tried to thin them down somehow. Please tell me they are not meant to be thick!

I have noticed the vertical fin quirk, and thinned that down to an acceptable fit.

All the locating lugs have seen their locking thingies removed, as some of them are possibly too effective. I did not want to have to use a screw driver to un-click bits and pieces!

Sink marks are a bit of a bother, but putty and CA did take care of them, and I will have to scratch the aileron balances, as I want to build the Italeri F as a F-4 Trop.

So thank you for the checklist! If you remember something else, please let me know!

This afternoon I have had to sacrifice some of the details on the underside of the wing in order to eliminate sink marks and little "steps" with CA. A shame, but I will re-scribe the panel lines. As for the dainty rivets, they will have to be collateral damage!

Cheers

JR

Jean, I have a feeling that the F-4 has a different supercharger intake and prop to the F-2. If you find scratch-building the aileron balances too much of a pain, after-market resin ones are readily available. I used them on mine. I keep a stash of them as even on kits that supply them, I usually lose one or more during the build...

4 hours ago, jean said:

Hi guys,

@Mitch K and @azureglo you guys have produced little gems.

Mine will be brush painted, so is unlikely to have the same finesse, but will do my best!

Mitch and Anil, I am not bitching, far from it. I am really enjoying this kit. Just slightly peeved at myself because the fit of the wing parts on the underside should have been better, but this is being sorted out (it slightly negates the "fast" build advert!). Plus for some reason my kit is missing the right machine gun in front of the cockpit, so some scratching in the offing.

I have already hollowed out the supercharger intake, but if I suspect the one from my Italeri 109 F is better (more than likely the case), then I will use it instead.

The canopy lugs are definitely coming off.

Anyway, will soldier on without rushing (I love this delicate panel lines) and hopefully will post some pics in the New Year.

Have an excellent New Year, all of you!

JR

Didn't sound like bitching at all, sounds like you're having fun! BTW the aileron balances Mitch mentioned are these, 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB72561

Like Mitch, I have an ample supply...

For the missing gun, some 0.4mm tubing should do it and remember the guns are are the same length apparently not different as in the 109E. I used some resin ones but in this scale it was not noticeable

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Didn't sound like bitching at all, sounds like you're having fun! BTW the aileron balances Mitch mentioned are these, 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/QB72561

Like Mitch, I have an ample supply...

For the missing gun, some 0.4mm tubing should do it and remember the guns are are the same length apparently not different as in the 109E. I used some resin ones but in this scale it was not noticeable

Hi Anil,

the aileron balances will have to be scratchbuilt on this kit. I did not know there was an after market item for them. I will organize some later in 2019, as these little horrors break as soon as one looks at them for a tad too long!

Albion tubing will indeed make some nice MG replacement. I have some metal ones for the 109 E, but as I have quite a few of these kits to build, I may end up needing some of them!

I am actually enjoying this kit. The whole concept appeals and when it is so well engineered it is impressive and pleasurable. I really want to try Zvezda's FW 190 thereafter, but my modelling shop of choice in Jo'burg is out of stock... Anyway, I am dreading the painting stage but it will be fun, no matter what!

Cheers

JR

19 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

here's one of mine. Note the kit doesn't feature any sort of representation of the leading edge slats either...looks like Mitch has scribed his..wish I'd done the same

ZvesdaFriedrichbestshot.jpg

Good evening Falke Eins,

another stunning 109F! Now, this is good!

The scheme I have finally settled upon for the F-2 of Neuhoff is very similar to yours: Third Gruppe, but with a wide yellow fuselage band as well and what looks like more mottling on the fuselage, unfortunately... As I don't seem to be able to get the photo Xtradecal refer to, for their scheme, this one will have to do. And it is just the right type of smashing paint scheme I am in the mood for!

Slats are on my to do list... if I don't forget!

A great New Year to you!

JR

• Like 2

I agree with you: the Zvezda Bf 109F is a lot of fun and surprisingly good for a click-together kit.  Ditto the Fw 190A-4, which runs rings around the mediocre Airfix Fw 190A-8.

I removed most of the locating lugs from mine so I could build it like a conventional kit (once some of those lugs have snap-fitted, they stay snapped!).  For anyone else doing this be careful with the underwing inserts.  A 5 thou shim to ensure the inserts sat just at the right level would have saved me a lot of damage to surface detail and cleanup.  Also, the Eduard Bf 110 is a nice source of tropical filters if you need one - or two!

9 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

I agree with you: the Zvezda Bf 109F is a lot of fun and surprisingly good for a click-together kit.  Ditto the Fw 190A-4, which runs rings around the mediocre Airfix Fw 190A-8.

I removed most of the locating lugs from mine so I could build it like a conventional kit (once some of those lugs have snap-fitted, they stay snapped!).  For anyone else doing this be careful with the underwing inserts.  A 5 thou shim to ensure the inserts sat just at the right level would have saved me a lot of damage to surface detail and cleanup.  Also, the Eduard Bf 110 is a nice source of tropical filters if you need one - or two!

Hi Seahawk,

where were you when I needed you?!!

The missing shims on the underwing inserts are causing me the same sorrow you went through. I did do some dry fitting, but stupidly left the locating pins, and still nothing appeared out of place... until after everything was glued and dry!

One never stops learning!!!

I will not need a tropical filter for this build, or at least I don't think so! Famous last words...

Thanks for the belated advice. Compliments of the season to you and family!

JR

1 hour ago, jean said:

I did do some dry fitting, but stupidly left the locating pins, and still nothing appeared out of place... until after everything was glued and dry!  

Exactly the same experience.  Think I overdid the clamps to stop the inserts drying raised.

And a happy New Year to you as well.

Edited by Seahawk

2 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Exactly the same experience.  Think I overdid the clamps to stop the inserts driving raised.

And a happy New Year to you as well.

Yep!

Ditto with the clamps!!! The next one will be just right!

Cheers.

21 hours ago, jean said:

Hi AaCee,

thanks for your comments, they are most appreciated. Although I think the 109 F is definitely the best looking of the 109s, it is the first kit of this series that I build! It is never too late!

Re the prop blades, as you are mentioning them, I find them overly thick, and I have tried to thin them down somehow. Please tell me they are not meant to be thick!

I have noticed the vertical fin quirk, and thinned that down to an acceptable fit.

All the locating lugs have seen their locking thingies removed, as some of them are possibly too effective. I did not want to have to use a screw driver to un-click bits and pieces!

Sink marks are a bit of a bother, but putty and CA did take care of them, and I will have to scratch the aileron balances, as I want to build the Italeri F as a F-4 Trop.

So thank you for the checklist! If you remember something else, please let me know!

This afternoon I have had to sacrifice some of the details on the underside of the wing in order to eliminate sink marks and little "steps" with CA. A shame, but I will re-scribe the panel lines. As for the dainty rivets, they will have to be collateral damage!

Cheers

JR

Hi JR,

Thank you for your kind reply! About the prop blades F had early narrow blades and later same as G, broader ones. Kit props certainly needs thinning.

One point to note is the oil cooler under the nose which is the later deep type. Early F's hd it shallower so be careful to check your references about the selected individual aircraft to model.

It is missing a pitot tube IIRC and for later F the additional panzer glass in front of the windscreen.

Flaps are guite easy to drop if you have done this type of work before. Slats are lightly engraved. I have not (yet?) dried to open them.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AaCee26 said:

bHi JR,

Thank you for your kind reply! About the prop blades F had early narrow blades and later same as G, broader ones. Kit props certainly needs thinning.

One point to note is the oil cooler under the nose which is the later deep type. Early F's hd it shallower so be careful to check your references about the selected individual aircraft to model.

It is missing a pitot tube IIRC and for later F the additional panzer glass in front of the windscreen.

Flaps are guite easy to drop if you have done this type of work before. Slats are lightly engraved. I have not (yet?) dried to open them.

Cheers,

AaCee

Hi AaCee,

thank you for these additional pieces of information. I know a lot more about the 109 E than the F, so most of what you have just mentionned was unknown to me. I will definitely look into it.

Re flaps and slats, I am afraid they will all remain firmly closed: I will just make sure the slats are re-scribed a bit deeper. I can see the O so well known trap forming, and his time I am determined to have this kit finished before end of January!!!

I will actually cannibalize the mass balances from my Italeri kit, now that I know after market of these things are available! The pitot tube was there OK, but survived all of 10 minutes once I removed the wing from the sprue.... No Comment!!!

I am actually having good fun with this kit, and I am afraid Zvezda have made a convert of me!

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Pat,

please be my guest, but bring a lot of popcorn as there may be long periods of silence (good for the soul!)

Contrary to general belief, there has been some activity behind the scene on the 109. 

The cockpit is to be finished tomorrow (I have just had my 2:30 minutes of daily work on the model) and I hereby solemnly swear that there shall be some photos to prove it before the close of the week end.

I still love this kit and the lower wing area is almost recovered to my satisfaction... What a mess I made there!

Have a great week-end and above all have fun!

JR

• Like 1

Hi everybody,

apologies for the glacial progress. My Sunday modelling was trashed yesterday when the front diff of our work horse Land Rover decided to give up the ghost in the worst possible place.

Life's sense of humor, I guess.

Photos taken with my phone late last night, so quality not too great.

The dorsal seat belts still need to have their lower parts glued to the seat, hence the 0 gravity look they have at the moment.

Still a great kit and the cockpit is very realistic for the scale and the price of the kit.

Only have to finish the yellow fuel line on the cockpit starboard side and then can button it up.

Bf 109 F-2 e

Bf 109 F-2 d

My advice: buy this kit if you haven't yet!

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody,

I can't believe my last update was already a month ago! Pathetic!

Mind you, in the meantime there have been far too few opportunities for modelling, between building a cottage, weathering a hurricane, and a few other niceties thrown at us by nature, Africa, etc.

Anyway, the cockpit is declared finished and the fuselage will be closed shortly, as long as I don't forget to replace the fuselage machine guns by metal tubes and paint and install the tail wheel before pulling the tube of glue out of its hiding place!

Once more, apologies for the poor photo quality (cell phone and shaky hand late at night...)

I should never zoom too closely: what looks jut fine with the naked eye looks horrid once magnified unreasonably.

Bf 109 F-2 f

Bf 109 F-2 g

Bf 109 F-2 i

I still believe this is a very nice kit. I wonder why I sent time adding silly details in the cockpit that are likely never to be seen...

But I feel better knowing its there...

JR