Sikorsky-Boeing Defiant first look

Navy Bird

3 hours ago, mhaselden said:

Now that is just fugly!

Tis a bit odd looking...maybe like its namesake? Not fugly, just odd.

2 hours ago, Britman said:

Interesting how the helicopter is still evolving. Not one for the navy I guess  unless it stays up top.

This one is for the US Army Future Vertical Lift program. Its competitor is the Bell Valor, which is a derivative of the Osprey tilt-rotor technology. It has already flown; the Defiant is behind schedule.

V-280-Valor-first-flight

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Normally i say that if you shake a tamiya box with a tad of paint and glue in it you get a perfectly fine result to display on your shelf..

But i really don't know what they where trying to shake at Sikorsky-Boeing...🤔but its fugly...

If i where a pilot i would certainly do not tell my friends what i am flying if i flew this....

Edited by janneman36
  • Like 1

Ugly....   Are either one of these things able to fit in a C-17 without major disassembly?    The Sikorsky version looks to be too tall and unless the Bell version allows the wing to rotate fore and aft like the MV-22, you'd have to take the entire wing assembly off. 

@11bravo The Bell V-280 Valor has one major difference from the V-22 Osprey tilt rotor, as the engines and nacelles remain in place while the prop/rotors and drive shafts tilt. A driveshaft runs through the straight wing, allowing both prop/rotors to be driven by a single engine in the event of engine loss.

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

What to say about that "aircraft"...?

It actually makes the F-35 look good.

Also, it seems like a young child came up with the concept - "Dad, I want a helicopter, with wings, and nuclear subs are cool so I want the back of a boomer on it too! Oh, and make it look like a tadpole".

Hopefully there will be a hangar fire forthcoming.

• Like 1

Call me a cynic but I think Bell are trying to squeeze a civilian Osprey derivative through on Military funding whereas Sikorsky Boeing are still trying to use Cheyenne R & D to save money. Nothing wrong with either of those ideas if the client is happy to pay of course.

Duncan B

• Like 2