Revell Acrylic Paints

Oberleutnant

Hi Gents,

Hope everyone is having a nice Christmas break and god some models for Christmas!

I was wondering, what are peoples experiences with Revell acrylics please?

I'm preparing a Spitfire MK IV Revel build and they list Revell enamels.

I usually use Vallejo acrylics (Model Color + Air) but a lot of the Revell colours do not cross over so I'm considering using Revell Acrylics for the non available Vallejo colours.

What are people's experiences please?

I presume they're odourless matt paints?

Hey,

I use Revell Aquas almost exclusively. Some of them are great, some not so but you can work with all of them. I tried diluting them with IPA and their original thinner and both seem to do the trick, with IPA being a tad cheaper on the long-run, probably. Make sure you dilute them properly (the often-cited milky consistence) and you are good to go.

If applied with an airbrush, matt colours dry matt. If not, their clear matt is doing a great job even over oil washes which tend to turn glossy. When applied by brush, it tends to dry glossy but it might depend on the paint/layer thickness, you apply.

I tried Vallejo and Mig acrylics, as well without noticeable advantages other than the availability of some colours out-of-the-bottle where Revell paints usually require mixing. Speaking of which, the need to mix paints for certain "common" colours is probably their biggest drawback.

I hope this helps!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, armored76 said:

Hey,

I use Revell Aquas almost exclusively. Some of them are great, some not so but you can work with all of them. I tried diluting them with IPA and their original thinner and both seem to do the trick, with IPA being a tad cheaper on the long-run, probably. Make sure you dilute them properly (the often-cited milky consistence) and you are good to go.

If applied with an airbrush, matt colours dry matt. If not, their clear matt is doing a great job even over oil washes which tend to turn glossy. When applied by brush, it tends to dry glossy but it might depend on the paint/layer thickness, you apply.

I tried Vallejo and Mig acrylics, as well without noticeable advantages other than the availability of some colours out-of-the-bottle where Revell paints usually require mixing. Speaking of which, the need to mix paints for certain "common" colours is probably their biggest drawback.

I hope this helps!

Lovely, thank you!

I think I'll give them a go.

They have a good range of colours by the looks of things.

I have used them occasionally and found that they are quite thick in the pot. However they respond well to thinning, I used deionised water and flow improver for brushing. 

I find it to be good paint but definitely needs thinning before use. The downside is that the colour range isn't great and you'll need to mix it to obtain the right match in most cases.

It is odourless (at least to my hooter) but don't assume it's matt, there are some gloss colours in the range.

John.

I use them quite happily, especially for internal colours.  There are satisfactory out-of-the-pot matches for some colours like RLM02 and 66.  They do need thinning, often heavy duty: I use tap water.  In addition to matt and gloss there are also some satin (seidenmatt).

33 minutes ago, Chimpion said:

Which paint do you use for RLM02? I have a cockpit waiting for this and wasn't sure which was the right shade.

I'm away from my desk at the mo so can't just look down and check but I'm pretty sure it's Aqua 45 Light Olive.  I use it on a recommendation some time ago from @Nick Millman as (IIRC) one of the best out-of-the-tub Grau 02s going but for the moment I can't find the quotation to let him speak for himself.

22 hours ago, Seahawk said:

I'm away from my desk at the mo so can't just look down and check but I'm pretty sure it's Aqua 45 Light Olive.  I use it on a recommendation some time ago from @Nick Millman as (IIRC) one of the best out-of-the-tub Grau 02s going but for the moment I can't find the quotation to let him speak for himself.

this maybe helpful

On 27/12/2018 at 11:56, Oberleutnant said:

I'm preparing a Spitfire MK IV Revel build and they list Revell enamels.

I usually use Vallejo acrylics (Model Color + Air) but a lot of the Revell colours do not cross over so I'm considering using Revell Acrylics for the non available Vallejo colours.

I m,ay well be easier just to find out wha the colurs are, or supposed to be,  as the Revell will cite their own, and these are often matches,  while you might just want to skip this unneeded step, and just go for the correct colours, 

I assume you mean Spitfire V [ie 5] not IV [4]  as AFAIK Revell have not done a specific PR Variant....

this one?

https://www.revell.de/en/products/modelmaking/planes/world-war-ii/spitfire-mk-v.html

Standard Day Fighter Scheme.  so Dark Green/Ocean grey over Medium Sea Grey,  Sky spinner and tail band.    Inside cockpit Grey Green and Aluminium paint.   These are standard RAF colours.

If you are doing the box art....

8520995808_cc13ddece0_o.jpgWell-worn Spitfire V,        1945. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

more period colour Spitfires here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787%40N07&q=spitfire

Regarding Vallejo,  their colours can be a hit and miss,  and I can#t tell you what Ocean Grey, Med Sea Grey and Sky are in the standard range,  but for Dark Green,  Vallejo 70.893 "US Dark Green"  is very good to the  RAF Museum paint chip chart.   found in the RAF Museum Series, British Aviation Colours of World War Two

bstablegb_1.JPG&key=713395c9724423749ff6

Vallejo 70.921 English Uniform is a very good match for the RAF  Museum Dark Earth BTW

If you like Tamiya

Tamiya acrylics, thinner with their own thinners, are airbrushing is much more fun now. I use their set of XF-81 Dark Green 2 (RAF), XF-81 Ocean Gray 2 (RAF) and XF-83 Medium Sea Gray (RAF) which came out at the same time as their 1/32 Spitfire Mk. IX.

If you can get on with them Xtracylix are highly rated for being good matches, and do all the RAF colours

HTH

• Like 2

On 12/28/2018 at 8:59 PM, Troy Smith said:

this maybe helpful

I m,ay well be easier just to find out wha the colurs are, or supposed to be,  as the Revell will cite their own, and these are often matches,  while you might just want to skip this unneeded step, and just go for the correct colours, 

I assume you mean Spitfire V [ie 5] not IV [4]  as AFAIK Revell have not done a specific PR Variant....

this one?

https://www.revell.de/en/products/modelmaking/planes/world-war-ii/spitfire-mk-v.html

Standard Day Fighter Scheme.  so Dark Green/Ocean grey over Medium Sea Grey,  Sky spinner and tail band.    Inside cockpit Grey Green and Aluminium paint.   These are standard RAF colours.

If you are doing the box art....

8520995808_cc13ddece0_o.jpgWell-worn Spitfire V,        1945. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

more period colour Spitfires here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787%40N07&q=spitfire

Regarding Vallejo,  their colours can be a hit and miss,  and I can#t tell you what Ocean Grey, Med Sea Grey and Sky are in the standard range,  but for Dark Green,  Vallejo 70.893 "US Dark Green"  is very good to the  RAF Museum paint chip chart.   found in the RAF Museum Series, British Aviation Colours of World War Two

bstablegb_1.JPG&key=713395c9724423749ff6

Vallejo 70.921 English Uniform is a very good match for the RAF  Museum Dark Earth BTW

If you like Tamiya

If you can get on with them Xtracylix are highly rated for being good matches, and do all the RAF colours

HTH

Very thorough and very helpful.

Thanks very much!

• Like 1