J2F-5 Duck 1/48

zebra

I've decided to press pause on the mojo-sapping F9F-8 (it'll be finished by the end of the GB, just need to build up the willpower to do it!) and make a start on a Christmas present - the Merit 1/48 J2F-5 Duck. It looks like a pretty simple kit - only 80 parts. Everything looks nicely moulded - the surface detail is very nice - although the interior detail is fairly basic. This is going to be a simple, straight from the box, hopefully quick build. I'll be using the kit decals, I think for an Argentine machine in silver with yellow upper wings.

The obligatory box shot:

Merit 1/48 J2F-5 Duck

I've started prepping some parts and I've primed the interior bits ready for some interior green. Not a lot to see so far then, but here's a shot of the two fuselage halves. Fine panel line and rivet detail on the outside, very basic detail on the inside.

Merit 1/48 J2F-5 Duck

More tomorrow

Z

• Like 3

Please be a bit careful - the model is named J2F5 but the picture on box art presents J2F6 (longer NACA cowling, lack of air intake above cowling, air ouputs on sided behind cowling, smooth fairing of float/fuselage at front. The plastic shows at least one feature of J2F5 (lack of air outputs on sides at front) but the fuselage/float fairing is that  of J2F6....The cowling of model seen on left looks like J2F5 - the shorter NACA cowling...

Maybe the photos will show better the differences:

J2F5

14.jpg

Below is J2F6

1280px-Columbia-built_J2F-6_Duck_USMC_Va

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Cockpit assembled and fuselage is together. The cockpit is a bit underwhelming - the detail really isn't up to the standards we seem to expect these days. Plenty of opportunities here to do a bit of detailing. But not this time. Fuselage went together ok, there's just a bit of filler in a couple of spots. All pretty straightforward so far.

1/48 J2F-5 WIP

1/48 J2F-5 WIP

cheers

Z

• Like 5

• 1 month later...