Spanish Civil war or early war Junkers Ju-86

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello all ... I recieved this for Christmas from my Brother in law. 

mtXAl7x.jpg

It has markings for the Spanish civil war. Anyone have any info on the type during the SCW, or maybe a place where i can find some info online, asking @Artie ? Books do me no good as i haven't any room for a library at the moment. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

What do you exactly need to know, Dennis?? Not much info about them, indeed. Five of them were sent to Spain for testing purposes. Not very good at all, specially due to their troublesome diesel engines....Called «FUMOS», as a joke around their smokey Jumo engines, three were lost during the war the remaining two being used postwar alongside some Do17 «Bacalao», Heinkel He70 «Rayos» and Henschel Hs123 «Angelitos». Scrapped during the mid forties due to lack of spare parts. 

You can paint it in standard Luftwaffe prewar RLM colours. 

Best regards...

Edited by Artie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Same here, Dennis. Do you need markings for one of the five used? If you need the camouflage pattern, I can  look it up in my Monogram Luftwaffe Colors book. I almost finished the radial engined version many years back...rescribed it and built a nice cockpit and the ESAC bomb bay cells...,then Eduard came out with the darned thing in photo etch! IIRC, the canopy is a little too wide for the fuselage so you will need to put a very small spacer in the fuselage halves in front of and behind the canopy to widen it a smidge, and also box in the wheel bays. I have the Lufthansa boxing of the diesel, but prefer the roundy-engined version. Here's a link to the Junkers website that has good text and photos of all of the Junkers aircraft- it's a very good modeler's reference! I might have schemes and photos in one of my Osprey Combat Aircraft volumes- I'll get upstairs to the archives in a bit to see. You do know you can't do one in tri-scheme, right? 😜

Mike

http://hugojunkers.bplaced.net/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Artie said:

What do you exactly need to know, Dennis??

Your post pretty much answered my question Thank you. 

32 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

You do know you can't do one in tri-scheme, right?

Now if you mean the tri scheme as in 65/70/71 i hadn't planned on one ? However from my understanding they did operate in the scheme. At least in a limited capacity during the polish campaign, & also as training aircraft.  However Mike if you're referring to the 4 tone scheme of 61/62/63 over 65 then im confused ? The few photos i have found pretty much confirm the 4 tones ? Then again as im writing this. It does come upon my very slow mind, that you could be saying that in fun. Note to self “I shouldn't read to much into things when i first wake up”. 

Dennis

25 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Your post pretty much answered my question Thank you. 

Now if you mean the tri scheme as in 65/70/71 i hadn't planned on one ? However from my understanding they did operate in the scheme. At least in a limited capacity during the polish campaign, & also as training aircraft.  However Mike if you're referring to the 4 tone scheme of 61/62/63 over 65 then im confused ? The few photos i have found pretty much confirm the 4 tones ? Then again as im writing this. It does come upon my very slow mind, that you could be saying that in fun. Note to self “I shouldn't read to much into things when i first wake up”. 

Dennis

No, you silly sod- I meant sea blue/intermediate blue/white! Have you sworn off of Corsairs?

Mike

• Haha 3

Really Mike @72modeler ? Like id ever swear off anything related to Voughts best creation ? 😉 ... I told you it was early in the A.M. for me. 

Dennis

EDIT = Thanks for the link finally got to go through it. 

I suspect the glare and high contrast in the photo is confusing the green and grey in the 61/62/63 scheme.

Patrick Laureau's Condor Legion (Hikoki) has two pages of photos, none terribly clear, and a profile showing 26.3 but with a darker green and light grey on the nose.  There is a photo of 26.3 that could be used to support any of these suggestions, and two of 26.5 showing the same pattern as 26.3 and the profile  of 26.2 in post 7, suggesting that the pattern of 26.5 in post #7 is not proven.

There is a photo of a Luftwaffe Ju86 in Kookaburra's Luftwaffe Colours Vol , which (if somewhat dark)appears to match this pattern, particularly in the narrow wedge of light grey appearing aft of the black cross/Falange symbol.  This books also provides diagrams of four of the potential 6 options for the standard Luftwaffe patterns (2 mirror x 3 colour rotations), not all of which were used.  The pattern shown appears to be that labelled as A2a.  It has only two areas of light grey on the port side of the fuselage, one behind the national marking and the other at the tip of the nose.  This is present on the profile in Laureau, which however lacks the one aft!

All in all, and despite lacking a clearer Condor Legion photo, I'd be completely confident in painting it in the 61/62/63 scheme.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

All in all, and despite lacking a clearer Condor Legion photo, I'd be completely confident in painting it in the 61/62/63 scheme.

Thanks Graham .. I was hoping to do it in that scheme. Now to find a good color match for the RLM61 ? I can match the other colors pretty easily but that brown is throwing me for a loop ? Its got a red hue in the dark brown to my eyes, almost like a wine/brown. 

Dennis

The simple answer to that is yes.  I have Precision Paints, Xtracolour and Colourcoats for these paints, and they all agree with that.  Just the level of darkness varies.  (Not a Steven King novel.)

I'd be a little cautious about what you are using for 63, as this was not the simple light grey often assumed but a pale yellow/green colour, and very similar to 02 - which in this period was only used for interiors.  However this did fade/weather rapidly to a pale grey, hence the considerable confusion over the years as to just what it was.  This fading can be noticed in photos of Condor Legion He111s, which go from a glossy smooth finish to a matt one, and on the later photos 63 is almost white, notably lighter than on the fresh ones.  Presumably the other colours are also fading too, if less obviously on b&w film, which would help explain why these aircraft are often shown with a rather lighter green than 62.

• Thanks 1

As RLM 61 brown I am using Humbrol 98. Nothing special, this is just my choice :)

36008988890_3139c1b884_b.jpg&key=e72c3e6

Cheers

J-W

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

the profile  of 26.2 in post 7, suggesting that the pattern of 26.5 in post #7 is not proven.

Very likely you are right - especially that the profile is not well supported by the photo. And on photo you may see some differencies in light spots  (for example a stright line just left of "2")

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks again Graham and J-W. Your Anton Stuka is very impressive and exactly what im looking for color wise. Now where to find Humbrol here in the states ? 🧐 

Here is conversion table:

https://www.e-kalfakis.gr/userfiles/file/HUMBROL CONVERSION COLOR CHART.pdf

I hope it will help

Regards

J-W

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1