DH.50 info

Anthony in NZ

Glad you are enjoying it like the rest of us Tony!  Might take you up on the DH.9 offer sometime if that's ok.

I don't know you would use much of your Blue Rider fuselage, the 'slab sides' of a DH.4 might give you a better starting block to make a 50 fuse in 72nd??

Glad to have you along for the ride.

I usually post on LSP but when I sort my 24th Mosquito out I will consider the .50A next....  I will do a WIP here as well since all the info and help is coming through here.  So far it's still do-able for me.

Cheers

Anthony

• Like 1

Scratch building a Puma 50/50 A should not be difficult because the sides of the fuselage from the point behind the radiator to the stern post are flat sided. The top longeron, running from the radiator, along the base of the windows, to the stern post on the DH 50's is a straight line unlike the DH 4/9  where top longeron dips down aft of the gunners cockpit. The nose is a straight taper in plan view and the cabin sides are parallel. The rear fuselage is a straight taper from the rear of the cabin to the tail plane leading edge. followed by a sharp taper to the rudder post.

The rear fuselage top is of almost semicircular section from the rear of the cockpit to the tail/ The window sides are flat, The cabin top is a bit like the roof of a Bessonneau hangar. The sections are on the Colin Owers  Aviation News plan. The only difficult bit is the top of the pilots cockpit which fairs in the cabin top to the rear fuselage top.

John

• Like 2

This is a camera screen shot to show a little of the progress on building up the structure. don't try to use this as a plan, because as a camera shot there is all kinds of natural and deliberately induced parallax. The colours are just to help me when I'm adjusting relationship of the various components. I've done the shot this way as I can't transfer the actual data via Photobucket. The next step is to start the detailing of all the fittings and general metal work.

John

DH%2050A_zpszd4ywbqp.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Another day older. A another general view. So far there are 4 pages of drawings. The wings shown all have some detail such as the differential ailerons which will be  removed from two panels note that one lower wing is different. The odd spider like thingy is part of the tail end of the Wapiti which I've imported to nick off the control turnbuckles so I don't have to draw them again. The wing struts are only in temporary place to ensure all the fittings jig together.

John

IMG_2113_zpso2mvpilz.jpg

• Like 4

Some more progress on the DH 50 Jupiter IV versions such as Wattle Bird and Bell Bird. Sun Bird was originally a Puma DH 50 A  but later was re-engined with the  Jupiter VI . Atalanta and Hippomenes  also had the Jupiter VI (l engine on left). These Jupiter versions are the long cabin type.

The Sir Alan Cobham Jaguar short cabin version is another concurrent drawing along with the DH 50 (short cabin).

I always draw up the engines to the correct dimensions for my research drawings and in the case of the Jupiter's these are from Bristol Manuals but simplified for clarity. Again These were pre-drawn for the Wapiti project.

The DH 50's fuselages were totally ply covered, and as such much of the internal structural detail is not needed to make a model, but, I find this is the only way to get the whole aircraft to balance out 

John

IMG_2116_zpseebxwlab.jpg

• Like 5

I have just received these wonderful pictures from my friend Tim Kershaw, to whom I am indebted. These depict the DH 50 G-EBFO in it's original guise with a Puma engine.

These must have been taken on Sir Alan Cobham's flight to take Sir Sefton Brancker to Rangoon in 1924. This aircraft was later re-engine'd with a Jaguar for it's flight to the Cape.  Cobham is seen here in the dark suit or the white flying kit. The man standing on the cowl doing the refueling is probably the ill fated A.B. Elliot, Cobhams engineer.

I note with interest that the radiator cowl is different to the prototype, being of the later type and there is a cutout on the lower port wing. This suggests to me that these are the wings  which replaced the ones with camber changing flaps, originally fitted to BFO, but they retained the DH 9 root cutouts. On all subsequent aeroplanes the lower port wing roots did not have the cutout which the starboard lower wings did. I presume that this was so the passenger walkway was not attached to the more fragile trailing edge.

John

cid_1E6CB7D5-42CF-4A65-AB1D-6639EC5C4084

cid_53C34BC4-E657-4302-A32E-1EC90A8801D7

cid_18F2DF35-5182-4902-A4FB-C6912F81201C

cid_7CEC1DD2-A73A-4C72-9BAD-53D5823DA140

• Like 6

This  thread is a little slow at the moment as amongst other matters I've had an extra dog, a Beagle, (two brain cells and refuses to use either one.) to look after for the last two weeks, due to a family member in intensive care. 

What do you call someone standing, shouting, in the middle of a field.. A Beagle owner! My vet told me this one and she should know.

In the meantime I'm drawing up the various propellers and differing details.

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I've just discovered this thread - it looks like a DH4 or DH9 but not 9A would be good starting points for a 1/72 build????

• 8 months later...