This years big push

general melchett

Haven't done this for a few years now but thought I'd join in with the festive fun and share this year's output with you 'orrible lot..  

All models finished this year have been built for Airfix Model World magazine or Airfix themselves, hopefully, next year I'll include a few more of my own.

Anyway hope you like them and thanks for those that commented throughout the year, very much appreciated.

All the 'new release' Airfix models this year were test shots and so might differ slightly from the full production versions.

First of the year was the Airfix B-25C Mitchell, beautifully detailed and a kit that literally fell together. I did have an issue with the fit of the horizontal tailplane which had apparently been sorted out prior to the release of the production kit. A nice aside here was that Dave Lower, the grandson of the original pilot of 'Desert Warrior' Captain Ralph Lower got in touch to say that his grandfather approved of the model, can't get better than that and really meant a lot. 

1-7-DSC-0479.jpg

03-1-DSC-0522.jpg

09-1-DSC-0583.jpg

Following this were a couple of 'alternate universe' Luft Haunebu II projects. Firstly the 1/144th version from Pegasus, a simple but cool little kit that went together perfectly and was a lot of fun to detail and paint.

1-DSC-0967-001.jpg

2-DSC-0972.jpg

Then the much larger 1/72nd Squadron version, with full interior and lighting.....only one image at the moment, I'll take more and post in RFI soon. 

1-DSC-1617.jpg

Next came the Airfix Wellington Mk 1c, first of several. As it was another test shot it didn't come supplied with any decals so I used those from the DK Decals sheet to depict a 311 (Czech) squadron aircraft based at RAF East Wretham. Superb kit and almost certainly the first of several variants.

1-DSC-1307.jpg

2-DSC-1319.jpg

Flyhawk's sublime 1/700th HMS Naiad, Dido-class light cruiser. Awesome level of detail, superb mouldings and exceptional fit make these tiddlers a lot of fun to build, there are several more where this one came from...

1-DSC-0854.jpg

2-DSC-0851-001.jpg

1-DSC-0864-001.jpg

S&M's Canberra B2 finished on the colours of 100 squadron, RAF Marham circa 1980. Despite its errors, not a bad little kit really and with work can be bought up to spec.   Thanks to John (Canberrakid) and John Adams for their invaluable help with this one.

1-7-DSC-0429.jpg

2-DSC-0403-001.jpg

A real favourite of mine this year was ICMs 1/48th MiG-25RBT. Although nice out of the box it certainly benefitted from a redesigned undercarriage (replaced with brass due to the new geometry putting a lot more stress on the fragile plastic parts) so that it sits correctly, Cold War Studios nose, scratched engine intakes and new compressor faces, (kit parts way too small) and several Eduard PE sets.

1-DSC-1604-001.jpg

Something a bit different. The Fantastic Plastic 1/48th Manned Orbiting Laboratory proved an interesting research project as we managed to rope in David Baker, a former NASA scientist who worked on the MOL program in the 1960s. I'll be building a lot more space-related subjects for the magazine next year for anyone interested. 

1-DSC-1355.jpg

2-DSC-1368.jpg

Revell's diminutive 1/1200th QM2, nice little kit but needed a bit of work to bring up to snuff. All the 'walls' that passed for railings were removed and replaced with the wonderful 1200th PE from Clydeside-Flotilla, windows drilled and filed to the correct shape and decks cut from 0.5mm card, 'planked' (scribed) and painted/weathered. All aerials, lights, satellite navigation balls and radar scanners were replaced from scrap items. The ship's designer Stephen Payne was kind enough to write an article on his brainchild and provide a raft of data and unique reference photographs.

1-DSC-1193.jpg

1-DSC-1200.jpg

2-DSC-1180.jpg

Another warship, this time Hasegawa's excellent IJN Furutaka heavy-cruiser. Built pretty much out of the box, only additions being Master gun barrels and yardarms. I must admit to really liking IJN subjects from this period and have several more on the workbench.

1-DSC-1717.jpg

2-DSC-1725.jpg

3-DSC-1726.jpg

How could I say no to building a test shot of my favourite aircraft, the Handley Page Victor This time it's the K2 version finished as XH669 of 57 squadron, while on detachment to Ascension in 1982. Great kit and one of five more Victors I have on the go at the moment to cover all variants and roles performed by this fabulous aircraft.

1-DSC-2009.jpg

2-DSC-2002.jpg

3-DSC-2022.jpg

Another firm favourite in the form of the Airfix Phantom FGR.2. A kit that's not without it's issues but thanks to aftermarket help from the likes of Aerocraft and Eduard, easily remedied. This test shot was built as a 6 squadron mud mover based at Coningsby circa 1974.

2-DSC-2652-001.jpg

1-DSC-2651.jpg

3-DSC-2324.jpg

Another Wimpy, this time Airfix asked me to build one using the kit decals for display at last months SMW...seemed to go down well, I hope it sells in buckets as it's a really great little kit.

1-DSC-2790.jpg

2-DSC-2802.jpg

3-DSC-2807.jpg

Airfix test shot of the new Hunter F6. This really is a gem and deserves to be highly popular, hopefully, several variants will follow. Again no decals were supplied so it was finished as a Day Fighter Combat School F6 based at West Raynham in 1962.

1-DSC-2914.jpg

2-DSC-2910.jpg

3-DSC-2904.jpg

4-DSC-2922.jpg

One more I'd forgotten, Valom's excellent HP 54 Harrow II. This one features in this months AMW, a lovely kit of a somewhat neglected type.  I really like these inter/early-war years types, and never thought I'd see an IM Harrow. Another one to cross off the ever-shrinking list of Bomber Command types.

Just one image, I'll post more in RFI in a few weeks.

1-DSC-2587.jpg

That's it for now, (well there are a few more but they will appear in AMW next year so will be kept under wraps until then :coolio:).

Thanks for looking and really hope you like them. Also thanks for supporting the magazine, the chaps really appreciate it, plenty more to come!

Happy New Year to one and all :cheers:

Melchie.

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 37

Another brilliant year there mate,........ breathtaking quality every single one of them! Airfix are lucky to have you onboard,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Thanks chaps, very kind of you, glad you like them.

I read through every one of those articles at least a couple of times - I just hadn't realised how many builds you'd done until they were all collected together. Great stuff, General, and the magazine's excellent too

Thanks John...just glad they made some sort of sense!, (or is that why you read them a couple of times :winkgrin:) I'll pass your comment on to Chris and Stu in the office, I know they'll appreciate it.

Cheers Gazza, Happy New Year

Thanks Neil, it keeps me out of trouble, (just).....cheers and see you soon.

Hi Tony, glad you like them mate, appreciated. The folks at both AMW and Airfix are a decent bunch and genuinely keen on getting quality products out there, it's a real pleasure to be asked to work with them. Hopefully, catch up with you at Bolton?

Thanks Cookenbacher, Happy New Year...how's the snow out there!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks John...just glad they made some sort of sense!, (or is that why you read them a couple of times :winkgrin:) I'll pass your comment on to Chris and Stu in the office, I know they'll appreciate it.

Yup, perfect sense - I just like to try and commit stuff properly to memory 😄. It takes more time these days. Many thanks!

• Like 1

Some really inspirational builds there Andy. I’m sure many modellers the world over have parted ways with hard earned cash after viewing a number of these supreme builds. Both quality and photography highlight how lucky we are to have such kits available but you still need to have the skills to knock them out this good!  - very well done. 

Looking forward to your output in 2019. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, your comments mean a lot.

I’m sure many modellers the world over have parted ways with hard earned cash after viewing a number of these supreme builds.

I really hope so Dave, to me personally that's what it's all about, giving folks an idea of what's on offer in the box or if they want to go down the aftermarket route, what's available there. 

The more they sell...the more we get!   win, win...

Looking forward to your output in 2019. 

Oooh, there's already a lot already underway...:coolio:

• Like 1

Ah Dean my old mucker,, like the avatar...looks like you thoroughly enjoyed yourself! (bet you've still got the wall to wall grin:pilot:)

even if you have defected a bit towards floaty boaty things! 

I misread that first time around!...thought you were referring to some awful gastric disorder!  (email on it's way)

Cheers Bob, I will do my very level best...

p.s. wot nothing with tracks?

Ummmm.........funnily enough, (and no, it's not a choo-choo).

• Like 1

Awesome modelling, mate. Not only is Airfix lucky to have you on board, so are we mere mortal modellers who read your articles and admire your builds with envy! What a great selection of subjects, too. I think the Phantom, Wellies, and Victor are my favourites, but then I'm an aeroplane guy. They are all fantastic!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks Bill, coming from you that means a lot...While I'm also an aircraft cove at heart I'm up for just about anything to be honest, as I get bored horribly quickly!...I'm busy genning up on large figure/bust painting at the mo, (heads, not the female form, well not while the Memsahib is within striking distance!), to me it's the most Darkest of modelling Dark Arts. I've always admired the top artists in this field and as I picked up a few resin busts at Telford last year and AMW are always looking for us to do something a bit different, thought I'd give it a bash, so there may be one or two of those next year as well...

You and the family have a great New Year my friend :cheers:

• Like 1

All fabulous builds, and I too have enjoyed reading the articles in AMW. Great to see those models here along with others that you have completed this year. I hadn't realised just how small some of the ships were until you included the paintbrush shots. Thanks for sharing them, I look forward to more of your inspirational and aspirational builds in 2019.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas, very kind of you, 

John,

I hadn't realised just how small some of the ships were until you included the paintbrush shots. Thanks for sharing them, I look forward to more of your inspirational and aspirational builds in 2019.

A pleasure...plenty more tiddlers on the bench, (though there will also be some of larger scale too). Unfortunately, Santa came up a bit short this year and didn't deliver a pair of shiny new Mk.1 eyeballs I requested to replace the worn out pair I've been managing with up to now...just have to up the magnification of the old bifocals I suppose and get 'stuck in'...

Bah, you're no general, you're that geezer wot does build articles fer Airfix Magazine!

Blast, my tip-top secret has been exposed Azure...only me. you and the entire English speaking world was supposed to know!!

• Haha 2

SUPERB effort Melchie! Top show all round although I'm not quite sure I approve of those damn floaty things. Hard to chose in such a cracking collection. But, by God, I'm going to; the Wimpeys! Excellent stuff (and looking forward to more of the same in 2019). Happy New Year.

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, really appreciated,

But, by God, I'm going to; the Wimpeys!

Good choice kinda, well, it's a really lovely little kit and I think everyone ought to have at least one in their collection, (I can think of at least six more reasons to buy one)...

There will definitely be a lot more of the same.

Happy New Year all :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Dear General !!

Great output here !! I really liked the Canberra !!

Now if you look for some busts, have one of Sabrina and put it aside the Airfix Hunter !!

That will look great !! I promise not to tell it to Darling !!

Really nice and tidy job ! Congratulations !! :mike:

So in 2019??? A 1/48 Airfix Scimitar ??:mike:

Can't wait to have the new Tiger Moth at hand !!

Sincerely.

CypherCC

• Haha 1

Thanks again guys,

My dear CC, thanks for the offer of an extra Sabrina for the Hunter, but she's quite well endowed as she is!  Don't bother with Darling, he'll only get the wrong end of the stick as usual and think you're talking about spent shell casing fairings or something daft like that... 

Now a 1/48th Scimitar to the standard of the Hunter would go down rather nicely....as would a Swift, Gannet, Sea Venom, (or any Venom for that matter), Bucc, etc, etc...you get the picture!

(Agreed the Tiger Moth will be a lot of fun)...

• Thanks 1