Boxing Day Two Years Later - Airfix Victor B.Mk.2 (BS)

When Airfix released their 1/72nd Victor B.Mk.2 (BS) at the end of 2016 I had to get one as soon as possible and this was supplied via the always reliable MJW Models. It was a Christmas present from me to me and was started on Boxing Day. In my mind there was no doubt what I wanted, XL512 operated by No. 139 Squadron out of RAF Wittering 1963-64 in anti-flash white complete with a Blue Steel missile. I am too young to remember this colour scheme but when I start to think about it, anti-flash from nuclear weapons? In England? The four minute warning? Mass scrambles? Get off the ground as fast as you can? Dispersed locations? A "bucket of instant sunshine"? The Soviet threat was so real way back then.

To the kit. Not cheap, I think I paid over £50 however the Airfix Victor was absolutely worth every penny, no question. I cannot believe how Airfix has moved so far forward in the last few years. Overall it was a joy to build and I had around 90% of it completed by May 2017.

On to the photos:

Victor 01

The Airfix kit certainly shows the very complex aerodynamics of the Victor B.2, starting with that unique double crescent wing which was based on captured German research from WW2. Personally I love the larger 'elephant ears' air intakes as well as the 'Küchemann carrots' on the trailing edges, also the four Rolls Royce Conways buried in the wing roots. Even today the Victor looks futuristic.

Victor 02

Obtaining the overall anti-flash white finish was a challenge. The kit instructions specify Humbrol 130 satin white which is a paint I have used with some success however airbrushing one colour on a kit this size didn't really feel like an option. I had already experimented with Halfords Appliance White on a 1/48th scale F-16A and I decided to try this approach to the Victor. I had learned to apply several coats by several passes and not to drench the model. Overall it worked really well though there were several areas on the wings where maybe another coat might have helped.

Victor 04

I have to say that, for me, the kit went together very well indeed. The only area where I felt I needed filler was very lightly around the jet air intakes.

Victor 06

This photo shows what was a fault for me, where the main fuselage joins the cockpit area. For whatever reason, and it might be my ham fisted approach, there was a definite step up between the two sections. I took the view that with my lack of skills at sanding and filling it was just better to leave it as it is.

What this photo does show is the detail in the cockpit with the ejection seats clearly visible. It also shows the complexity of the cockpit canopy which was what scared me off completing this kit for such a long time. In the end I masked mine off using various masking tapes and although not perfect the end result isn't too shabby. I understand that there was a masking set available for this kit, maybe worth a thought.

Victor 07

My final photo of XL512 in which the Blue Steel round can be seen tucked away under the Victor B.2 fuselage.

Victor 08

A very enjoyable build of an iconic V-Force bomber.

Michael

• Like 58

an underrated aircraft indeed and a very nice model indeed.

(i called it underrated because the Vulcan stole the lime lite in op black buck)

• Like 1

Looks good! I still think of it as a particularly futuristic and evil looking aircraft, especially when viewed head on, the one at Elvington is such a beast.

I can remember going to the Finningley air shows as a youth in the early 70's and the highlight for me was the Phantom display followed by the "scramble" of four Victors followed by four Vulcans. My God the noise! And the smell of burnt fuel that hung around for the rest of the day.

Lovely Victor! Superb in white too. I'll be building the one in my stash at some point, hopefully she'll turn out something like this.

To me, for all-over white the spray can is definitely the way to go.