1/48 - Douglas A/B/DB-26B/C & JD-1D Invader by ICM - released - new Revell boxing

Homebee

I think we need to keep this in context and let cool heads prevail before jumping to conclusions. The comments about model companies taking notice of 'experts' is perfectly valid and some, as we know, have capitalized on this potentially useful commodity through a very proactive consultative process. GWH and Kinetic (through personal experience) are two that instantly spring to mind but there are others. Under normal circumstances I would be very concerned with the images from ICM as shown. The nose and tail contours in the 'box art' image ring instant alarm bells being way too short/bulbous and tall, respectively, but the artistry is not up to ICM's usual high standard so I think it is a very early version for purely illustrative purposes only. The photo of the 'test shot' (if it indeed that) is also of concern although distortion must be factored in. The engine nacelles appear too long (especially at the front) and this accentuates the short nature of the nose contours but, again, I think we need to be cautious in over reacting since this is an early mock up.

The overriding consideration for me is ICM's recent record. Unlike other manufacturers that appear to alternate between the very good, good, bad and ugly, ICM have been pretty consistent with their accuracy and quality of product. Notwithstanding the issues with the first MiG-25 Foxbat release (which they quickly corrected, I hasten to add), AFAIK their Heinkels and Dorniers have been sublime. OK, they are not 100% perfect and the Luftwaffe experts are far better qualified than I to speak to their overall accuracy but I have examples of the Heinkel He-111 and Junkers Ju-88 and I am very happy with them. So, for now, I have every confidence that ICM will do us proud and produce a worthy successor to the Monogram kits which have probably seen their day.        

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

I'm not going to take notice of those that who blabber about distorted photos and can't agree if the are making an opinion from  a CAD render or a photo.

Well you toke notice as you reacted :)

It's in the CAD stage that the screenshots aren't distorted because CAD software can render in parallel projection... so it's with CAD renders that shape accuracy can be discussed as photos of a physical model are always distorted.

4 hours ago, Laurent said:

Well you toke notice as you reacted :)

It's in the CAD stage that the screenshots aren't distorted because CAD software can render in parallel projection... so it's with CAD renders that shape accuracy can be discussed as photos of a physical model are always distorted.

QED.

Tommo.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I myself LOVE ICM. Even their "not so good" kits are good kits. I wish they did a new La-7. Their LaGG kits, even though not state of the art and "older" in the sense of kits today and with a few (easy to correct) inaccuracies, are good and pleasurable kits. I have two of their He-111, five Ju-88, four C-45, countless 1/144 kits and 1/35 armour and love every kit. I even have about 15 of their Spit Mk.IX kits, since I find it easy to correct the few inaccuracies and don't mind filling in a few sink holes. BUT, we must all remember that accuracy of subject is only as good as the documentation available. ICM!!!!!!!! La-7 PLEASE!!!!!!!! The irony in all of this is that I don't even like German subject matter and I have so many of the Ju-88 and He-111 kits. The He-111 I plan on making in post war Czech markings and modifications and the Ju-88 kits,,,,,,, well, it is just a beautiful aircraft. I plan on converting one of my -5 to a -1 which should be quite easy, so I can do a BoB early version.

Here is the link to the A-26, Unfortunately not one of my desired subject matters. Cant put "Marines" on it😉.

http://www.icm.com.ua/news/626-b-26b-50-invader-korean-war-american-bomber-100.html

spacer.png

Edited by Otakar

ICM evidently applied every possible weathering technique - pre shading , post shading , oil rendering , panel variation , paint chipping ,full body riveting  and every possible interpretation of olive drab while coming up with that box art .😋

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Otakar said:

Here is the link to the A-26, Unfortunately not one of my desired subject matters. Cant put "Marines" on it😉.

U.S.Navy operated them ? Think thats as close as you can get. 

http://www.joebaugher.com/usattack/a26_9.html

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Douglas_JD-1_Invader

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Navy/Douglas-JD-1-Invader-A-26-B-26/25037

Dennis

18 hours ago, Basuroy said:

ICM evidently applied every possible weathering technique - pre shading , post shading , oil rendering , panel variation , paint chipping ,full body riveting  and every possible interpretation of olive drab while coming up with that box art .😋

They didn't all fly around with a guy on a rope polishing them though - check this one out!

Douglas_A-26_Invader.JPG

Pah! Overdone patchwork of panels? How unrealistic! :tease: This one's even worse! :shocked:

angola5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mustangs ho hum?  Having worked in retail I can attest that for 90% of the purchasing customers, who actually purchase kits, four basic aircraft fought in the only war: the Spitfire, Mustang, Bf-109 and Zero. Now you and I know that the Junkers 86 was an odd-looking yet important pre-war airliner converted to bomber, and would make a great subject in 1/48, but will the kind lady at HobbyLobby (who purchases kits, art supplies and straw birthday hats) ever purchase such a kit from a wholesale outfit?