Revell 458 Italia - spraycan success!!

andmarsh

Well, im a bit shocked - after airbrush trials and errors,  and then on this car i picked up some Red Mr Color paint and thinned with x20- airbrushing was a nightmare,  a gloopy mess which soon clogged the airbrush..    i had an old can of Tamiya Red paint which i thought i would try,  im amazed with the results- wet look straight from the can,   do you think i need to apply the tamiya clear?

46470041141_e10165103d_c.jpg

Edited by andmarsh
  • Like 1

I’ve not had much success with Tamiya clear, if you do use it take care not to apply it too thickly, as the saying goes, “several light coats, not one thick one”.  I got a large spray can of “Crystal Clear” from my local hobby shop (in Australia) which works a treat. The only downside for me is the relatively wide spray pattern with rattle cans. I would think that a nicely applied clear coat would add a bit of depth to the colour. It’s your call on how well you feel your spraying is!! The red looks good so far, if you’re happy with it, why take a risk?

7 minutes ago, Ian T said:

I’ve not had much success with Tamiya clear, if you do use it take care not to apply it too thickly, as the saying goes, “several light coats, not one thick one”.  I got a large spray can of “Crystal Clear” from my local hobby shop (in Australia) which works a treat. The only downside for me is the relatively wide spray pattern with rattle cans. I would think that a nicely applied clear coat would add a bit of depth to the colour. It’s your call on how well you feel your spraying is!! The red looks good so far, if you’re happy with it, why take a risk?

Thanks for the advice

Will have a think about the clear

I was worried about fingerprints,   after a few days it might be fine to handle

3 minutes ago, andmarsh said:

Thanks for the advice

Will have a think about the clear

I was worried about fingerprints,   after a few days it might be fine to handle

And - I said that because all the shut lines are already full of paint. Adding more paint will make the entire skin smooth or worse, make it a glazed apple. You already have a nice finish and color level - I would not press on. I assume you test fitted all the glass and accessories already - before shooting paint. Always test fit.

If you want to clear your next build, apply thinner and less coats of color (after inscribing the shut lines deeper), wet sand with 800 grit then clear using Testors Wet Look Clear - two medium coats.

• Like 1

On 26/12/2018 at 10:49, andmarsh said:

Well, im a bit shocked - after airbrush trials and errors,  and then on this car i picked up some Red Mr Color paint and thinned with x20- airbrushing was a nightmare,  a gloopy mess which soon clogged the airbrush..    i had an old can of Tamiya Red paint which i thought i would try,  im amazed with the results- wet look straight from the can,   do you think i need to apply the tamiya clear?

46470041141_e10165103d_c.jpg

Please don't take this the wrong way because it's meant with good intentions, but, you "picked up some red Mr Color paint and thinned with X-20" is that Mr Color lacquer paint and you thinned it with Tamiya acrylic thinners? I'm not surprised you ended up with a mess. That's totally the wrong thinner for that paint. I'm sure we had this conversation several times over in the paints section and I recommended you to use Mr Levelling thinner with Mr Color paints on more than one occasion? Why ask for and receive, the correct advice about certain paints, then not follow it? I'm sorry if I sound a little harsh here and I don't mean to be. But I feel like I'm giving you excellent advice and it's being wasted a little...

On a happier note you seem to have got a good finish with the rattle can. Personally, save yourself some time and effort and just polish that up with rubbing compounds. You'll get a nice finish.

• Like 1

A few months back, I experimented with various paint/thinner combinations. This one, mind you was one that I didn't try (I don't have any Mr Color paints).

I found that Mr Color levelling thinners works really well with Tamiya acrylics, sprays beautifully, bit when I mixed it with Humbrol acrylic, I got a thick-ish and very grainy goo, and when I tried it with Citadel paints, I got a rubbery lump.

I guess that the Tamiya 'acrylic' is a much different formulation. It's water soluble, so works with IPA as well, but I have read elsewhere that it is a resin bases acrylic, so that may be the important factor. I don't know and frankly I am not that bothered about the chemistry. The experiments were very informative, and I nearly always thing Tamiya acrylics with Mr Color Leveling thinners.

Cheers, Alan.

5 hours ago, Alan R said:

A few months back, I experimented with various paint/thinner combinations. This one, mind you was one that I didn't try (I don't have any Mr Color paints).

I found that Mr Color levelling thinners works really well with Tamiya acrylics, sprays beautifully, bit when I mixed it with Humbrol acrylic, I got a thick-ish and very grainy goo, and when I tried it with Citadel paints, I got a rubbery lump.

I guess that the Tamiya 'acrylic' is a much different formulation. It's water soluble, so works with IPA as well, but I have read elsewhere that it is a resin bases acrylic, so that may be the important factor. I don't know and frankly I am not that bothered about the chemistry. The experiments were very informative, and I nearly always thing Tamiya acrylics with Mr Color Leveling thinners.

Cheers, Alan.

Yes,   I need to get hold of some Mr color leveling.    I was just amazed after my airbrushing attempts.   How well the Tamiya went on out of the can,    looks good enough to leave as it is,     I may give the paint from heroboy a try next time

7 minutes ago, andmarsh said:

Yes, I need to get hold of some Mr Color leveling thinner. I was just amazed, after my airbrushing attempts, how well the Tamiya went on out of the can. It looks good enough to leave as it is...

If you use the correct thinner (leveling thinner) the Mr Color paint will airbrush exactly the same as the Tamiya aerosol stuff. I'm assuming you've used Tamiya TS paint? They are very similar paints, that's Tamiya TS and Mr Color. The difference between airbrush or aerosol application isn't so great, they're just an application method. If anything the airbrush will give  finer spray atomization and you'll probably use less paint than an aerosol can. It's like a shotgun (aerosol) v's a precision sniper rifle (airbrush) airbrushing well takes a little practice but it's very rewarding when you achieve success...

• Thanks 1

I had a similar outcome recently when I tried to thin Tamiya TS spray paint having just decanted it.  After some advice from these fine people, I ended up using cellulose thinner which worked well.  I agree though, the result out of the spray can can be pretty awesome.  Nice finish btw 😊

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2018 at 2:52 PM, Steve Noble said:

If you use the correct thinner (leveling thinner) the Mr Color paint will airbrush exactly the same as the Tamiya aerosol stuff. I'm assuming you've used Tamiya TS paint? They are very similar paints, that's Tamiya TS and Mr Color. The difference between airbrush or aerosol application isn't so great, they're just an application method. If anything the airbrush will give  finer spray atomization and you'll probably use less paint than an aerosol can. It's like a shotgun (aerosol) v's a precision sniper rifle (airbrush) airbrushing well takes a little practice but it's very rewarding when you achieve success...

Yes i used a can of TS49 bright red for the body,    I think a new pot of Mr color and leveling thinner are going to be my first purchases of the new year for when I do the next car build

Happy new year btw.... Cheers.   😛

Edited by andmarsh