Freedom F-104 ( Toon)

The only kit under the tree for me this year was this little gem from Freedom.  

Cute%20F-104%2005-XL.jpg

A two kit boxing of a F-104, both single and two seater in the one box.

As we were having a very quiet Christmas I jumped in and bashed out some cockpit details and assembled the single seater.

Cute%20F-104%2001-XL.jpg

Cute%20F-104%2002-XL.jpg

Then buttoned up the lot and shot some semi gloss black from a Tamiya rattle can followed by some silver leaf from Tamiya on top.  Added some of the decals today after lunch and I'll hit it with gloss tonight before bedtime . 

Cute%20F-104%2003-XL.jpg

Cute%20F-104%2004-XL.jpg

I'll work a bit on the landing gear and base tomorrow, ( I have to resist the temptation of touching the darn thing until the gloss sets hard.)  I might just get this one done and in the case by New Years.

I love these little critters and these ones from Freedom look pretty darn good.  They have a F-5 that looks mighty interesting.....

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 5

Thanks for your kind comments, these kits are very cute ;)

Knocked out the base while I'm waiting for all the tiny bits to dry.  Pretty standard fair and built as per all my other bases.  I did try adding in a bit of coloured grout to the plaster mix and that seams to have worked well though the colour is a bit too dark.  It added a nice texture to the concrete.  

Cute%20F-104%2006-XL.jpg

Cute%20F-104%2007-X2.jpg

I hope to do final assembly tomorrow. :)

I'm happy you like my little base.  

They aren't too much hassle to make.  I use a pre-cut wooden furniture leg that I get from my local hardware chain ( Bunnings)  by turning it upside down I get a nice chunky tapered base.  Next I superglue a lip made from 2mm  styrene Evergreen around the top to contain the groundwork.  To fill the end grain I use a thinned mix of Tamiya grey putty and Tamiya lacquer thinners.  This all takes just an hour or so. to get to this stage.

Cute%20F-104%2008-XL.jpg

I often make a few at a time as it's just a bit easier and they can sit on the shelf in storage for when they are next needed.  For finish I use two coats of hardware store flat black from a rattle can( with a nice rub down with steel wool between coats) and a last top coat with satin black again from a rattle can.

I then add groundwork on top.  For the concrete I used a mix of plaster of paris, grey tile grout and light grey acrylic paint.  Used a small steel ruler as a screed and roughed up the surface once almost set with a stiff stipple brush and a brass wire brush.   After it set a bit I scribed the paving lines.   Before weathering I sealed the 'concrete' with a few light coats of gloss varnish from a rattle can once dry I added the white line with an airbrush.  Weathering is lots and lots of thinned enamels from Tamiya thinned with Humbrol enamel thinners and a little bit of ground pastels.  A couple of hours work some last night and then a bit this afternoon.

This is what a scenic one looks like ( About 90mm square)

Cute%20F-104%2009-L.jpg

IHTH.

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 1