PT 515 Ron 35

Arjan

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks gentlemen ! The rc boating season has started which means progress on my current build is slow. During the past winter I overhauled my PT 596 model I had been running for over three years. I changed the brushed setup for a brushless one and installed bigger props and new rudders. I also had to repair some damage and replace parts that had gone missing. It's about 100 grams lighter now and I'm very pleased with its performance (both at low and high speed). For its next outing I hope to add a full crew and torps.

sS4uUBw.jpg

V75nvXk.jpg

7hbYHe3.jpg

0Pjq74j.jpg

DOs34XA.jpg

nex852g.jpg

My S-Boot also made its maiden voyage :

JgGyUR6.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 3

Thanks Kev ! Of the three 1/35 Italeri craft I have tested so far the PT boat is my favourite when it comes to rc practicality/feasibility. The Vosper is a bit too heavy for a twin motor setup. After all, these Italeri plastic boats are rather heavy (especially the deck and hull) and the smaller their size,  the bigger the relative weight issues. The S-Boot is so big that weight isn't an issue but its size makes it less manageable. I have to use hoisting straps to launch it and lift it out of the water (without these straps,  stanchions and other parts are likely to get damaged). Its long and narrow hull also means it has a big turning radius.  It requires independant control of the twin motors so the motors can assist in steering. I only have a cheap 2-channel transmitter/receiver so I installed a mixer in the boat (a rather primitive thing which is actually designed for running rc tanks). Even with this mixer steering leaves a lot to be desired.

Regards,

Arjan

Looking good, Arjan. :yes:

Nice to see the boating season has started.  Our ponds & lakes still have a layer of ice on the surface.  I guess that's why I like virtual water ... it doesn't freeze.:D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Some pics of my progress, there is still a lot to be done but she's ready for her maiden voyage (at the coming weekend). I tried to copy the faded colours of PT 505 :

6MIKaDy.jpg

6DCn7Yel.jpg

qz2y3IOl.jpg

jaUkbsGl.jpg

PiCRnyZl.jpg

AuFMiT7l.jpg

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 5

Thanks John . To tell the truth I'm not quite happy with the deck colour, I will probably use a dark wash to make it a bit darker. Fortunately, it's always easier to make colours darker than to make them lighter.

Regards,

Arjan

Thanks Kev. I'm a bit of a dinosaur and I don't even have a mobile phone so I depend on others for making a video. My girlfriend usually has more pressing matters to attend to 😁.

Regards,

Arjan

• Haha 1

I added the decals, numbers from Echelon, water level marking from Italeri and the Ron 35 squadron sign and plaque with the name "Boomerang" made by an acquaintance :

VuO81Be.jpg

LnNhrMH.jpg

0mggEjk.jpg

Some pics taken on the water today, unfortunately, no action photos or video :

sEp3Zno.jpg

YSslW6S.jpg

uuvCNev.jpg

The model really runs well it's a lot faster than my other PT model.

Regards,

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 3