F4U-1 birdcage Corsair

72modeler

I thought some of you might enjoy seeing photo and video footage of two ongoing birdcage Corsair restorations. The one at the Museum of Naval Aviation will be a static display airplane, but the other will be airworthy. There is one other airworthy birdcage Corsair, but IIRC, it was built from an F4U-1A that was extensively modified to have a birdcage canopy and quarter windows. I can't believe I beat @Corsairfoxfouruncle to the punch on this one!

Mike

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-restorations/birdcage-corsair-restoration-update.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgEKLO94Ujg

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/aussie-corsair-restoration-update-pt-2.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...

Hallo

This is a good thing.

For me it was absolute new, the fact the US companies used red Minium primer.

For this event: Any Birdcage should have the weathering with redish surface and metall underneath! Like a Zero!

Do you have any photos of weathered Birdcages ? From 1943 ?

Happy Modelling

Dov

3 hours ago, dov said:

Hallo

This is a good thing.

For me it was absolute new, the fact the US companies used red Minium primer.

For this event: Any Birdcage should have the weathering with redish surface and metall underneath! Like a Zero!

Happy Modelling

Dov

Dov,

There was a  fellow  modeler who posted an outstanding photo collection of Marine birdcage Corsairs  a while back, but for the life of me, I can't remember his name! You could do a search for Birdcage Corsairs or Marine Corsairs  in the WW2 forum or do an internet search. They were pretty weatherbeaten and  scuffed, as the coral dust, tropical sun, and intensive use sure played havoc with the finish!

Mike

Hello Mike... Is this the one you're referring to ? 

Hello @dov check this out. I could dig through my stuff as well but would be tonight at soonest as im running errands today.  

6 hours ago, dov said:

Dennis

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Mike... Is this the one you're referring to ? 

Hello @dov check this out. I could dig through my stuff as well but would be tonight at soonest as im running errands today.  

Dennis

Yep, that was the collection I was referring to, Dennis! Thanks for bailing me out!

Mike

Wow!

Great pictures. I built all of this models, except the F7 Tigercat. Well, my Birdcage will get a moderate weathering. The coating for my a/c will be:

1.   Metal

2.   Red / Pink Minium Primer

3.   Top Coat

So my weathered areas will have a red surrounding!

Thank you all!