Navy Bird's Complete Waste of Time 2018

Navy Bird

Hi mates,

Every year I promise I'll build more than a handful of models. 2018 was such a year - and again I was unable to deliver on my promise. Just four lousy models left the workbench at Chateau Oiseau de la Marine. Maybe there is some immutable law of physics that is preventing me from building more. But this will not prevent me from boldly predicting that in 2019, I will build more models! Many more! What do you think? Can I do it? Or is this just the wistful wanderings of a wrinkled old man?

Here is the meager output from 2018:

1:72 BAC TSR.2 (completed March 2018)

Airfix

I've wanted a nice model of the TSR.2 in my collection for quite some time. I picked up one of the 1:72 scale Airfix kits (the one with the Stratos 4 Japanese sci-fi theme) and started collecting some aftermarket pieces. The kit, as moulded, is quite nice - but there were some areas that I felt could use some additional detail. Most of the aftermarket was from CMK, but I also used some photoetch from Eduard and a turned brass pitot from Master. As I found out, several of the CMK resin pieces could have used some aftermarket of their own, as I encountered some size and shape issues. The build also reminded me why I hate painting overall white schemes. 

Click here for the RFI post with complete details of improvements and modifications.

IMG_1918

IMG_1878

IMG_1933

IMG_1868

1:72 Avro Anson Mk.I (completed June 2018)

Special Hobby

This was one of those projects that just didn't want to be built. I'm happy to say that I won the battle, but there were several times during this journey that I expected it to be a bin bunny. First, I left it where it could be reached by an inquiring two-year old. He decided to take the model for a test flight, resulting in a hard landing, ground loop, and breached fuselage. After a lengthy repair in the maintenance shed, it was determined that a foul-up in the repair orders resulted in an airframe built for a turret - when the subject of the build clearly didn't have one. This necessitated another trip to the maintenance shed for a major fuselage modification - after the airframe had just received a bright new coat of RAF Trainer Yellow. During this modification, the canopy decided to pop off...and the list goes on.

Click here for the RFI post with complete details of improvements and modifications.

IMG_2432

IMG_2446

IMG_2429

IMG_2434

1:72 Northrop XP-56 Black Bullet (completed July 2018)

Special Hobby

Way back in 1939, whilst the buzz in Hollywood circled around the premiere of "The Wizard of Oz," the USAAF issued proposal R-40C, which directed the aerospace wizards to design a new pursuit aircraft with improved performance and armament compared to existing designs. This, of course, was nothing new - what was new, however, was the proposal specifically asking for innovative and unconventional ideas. Three different aircraft were built and flown as a result of this competition - the Vultee XP-54 "Swoose Goose," the Curtiss XP-55 "Ascender," and the subject of this build the Northrop XP-56 "Black Bullet." All three were pushers; the Swoose Goose featured an inverted gull "ducted" wing, aft mounted engine, twin booms, and an electrically fired downward ejection seat, the Ascender had canards, aft engine, swept wings, and two vertical tails, and the Black Bullet, being a Northrop project after all, was a small flying wing with an aft mounted engine and contra-rotating propellers. I love these odd-ball designs from this period, and it's great to have companies like Special Hobby produce these short run kits.

IMG_2568

IMG_2559

IMG_2576

IMG_2536

1:72 Supermarine Attacker FB.2 (completed December 2018)

AZ Model

Another FAA subject for my collection! Some say the Supermarine Attacker is a descendant of the Spitfire, and if you follow the Spitfire - Seafire - Spiteful - Seafang - Attacker development path, I suppose you could make that statement. In any event, the Attacker was the first jet powered aircraft to enter into service with the FAA, although its front line service lasted only three years. That's not at all unusual for the time, as new and better designs seemed to roll off the drawing board at a very rapid pace. The AZ Model kit is a typical short run kit, and includes a one-piece resin cockpit. My copy had some nasty moulding flaws around the tailwheel and arresting hook area which required scratchbuilding to replace. And it didn't include the boundary layer intake vanes, so they had to be made from styrene sheet stock. And it didn't come with folding wings...but at least I didn't have to carve the fuselage out of balsa like my Dad had to. I used an old Airwaves photoetch set to tart her up a bit.

IMG_2799

IMG_2808

IMG_2753

IMG_2769

Well, that's it. Pretty lame, I know, but next year - yeah baby! Next year we're gonna rock. Way more than four models. Like, maybe, five eh?

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I do have to say that there was another modelling project that occupied some of time in 2018, but it didn't result in a finished build. That's the big 1:32 scale Tamiya Spitfire Mk.IX that I'm finally building. I pretty much finished the cockpit, and I really hope to have this one finished in 2019. I think I spent more time just building the pit than I do on most 1:72 scale models entirely. Here are some shots of the cockpit in progress:

IMG_2645

IMG_2651

Happy New Year!

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Who cares if you only built four when they all come out like that.  That Anson is just stunning.  Im going to zip over and read the RFI  on it, in fact Im going to catch up on all your RFI  threads Bill

Hope you manage to get to the elusive FIVE in the coming year

Season's Greetings to you

Bruce

• Like 3

Quality beats quantity every time Bill and following your progress on these wonderful models has been a very enjoyable part of 2018 for many of us,...... the Anson and TSR.2 really stand out for me,...... but they are all superb mate,

Merry Christmas and a happy new year,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Can I do it? Or is this just the wistful wanderings of a wrinkled old man?

We all need to set goals Bill, it helps of course if they're realistic. ;) 

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Way more than four models. Like, maybe, five eh?

Yeah that sounds realistic to me, I'll be looking forward to your builds. As for 2018, what you lacked in quantity, you more than made up for in quality, gems every one. 👍

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2

They might only be four builds Bill, however when you multiply their quality by a factor of 10 their as good as building 40! 

These supreme finishes are what we all aspire to so thanks for setting the bench mark and posting your progresss and techniques on here. 

Cheers and Happy festive season.. Dave 

• Like 1

That's a mighty impressive waste of time Bill, I wish I could of wasted that much time 😂

Each one is a masterpiece, I can't decide om a favourite.

I'm still beavering away to get one over the line!

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

Hi Bill. Hope you are keeping well.

Well......only four eh?

The thing is - each one is actually a work of art! Utterly stunning modelling as always. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 25/12/2018 at 16:53, tonyot said:

Quality beats quantity every time Bill and following your progress on these wonderful models has been a very enjoyable part of 2018 for many of us,...... the Anson and TSR.2 really stand out for me

Thanks Tony. I don't think it's possible for that Anson not to stand out - not with that paint job! Here's hoping 2019 is happy and healthy for you mate.

On 25/12/2018 at 17:30, Rabbit Leader said:

These supreme finishes are what we all aspire to so thanks for setting the bench mark and posting your progresss and techniques on here.

Thanks Dave. I hear comments about the finish on my models quite often, and there's no secret to it. Thinner is your friend.

On 26/12/2018 at 06:13, general melchett said:

Great stuff Bill, as you say, a complete waste of time...next year kindly try wasting a bit more time. (love what you've done to the old Anson)

Yes suh! I can't refuse an order from the General, lest Darling be set loose upon me. More wasting time next year! I must go and inform SWMBO.   :)

On 26/12/2018 at 16:31, John Laidlaw said:

Superb builds, and even better finishes - an inspiration, again. Beautiful work.

Thanks John. Like I said to Dave, thinner is your friend.

7 hours ago, gazza l said:

Brilliant work all very good but the TSR-2 gets my vote.

Thanks gazza I. The TSR-2 was actually started back in 2017, so it represents the most number of hours spent. It does look pretty good in the old display case.

7 hours ago, woody37 said:

That's a mighty impressive waste of time Bill, I wish I could of wasted that much time 😂  Each one is a masterpiece, I can't decide om a favourite. I'm still beavering away to get one over the line!

Thanks Neil, but that one you're trying to get over the line is an absolute work of art, requiring more skill and sweat than anything I ever built. Besides being huge which is altogether another matter. Every vacuform I ever touched (except an occasional canopy) was binned. Never could get the hang of it.

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

This holiday season, I'm thankful to live in a world where Navy Bird builds model aeroplanes, a treat for the eyes. They're all wonderful Bill, but the TSR.2 really captured my imagination.

Thanks Cookie. I only wish there had been squadrons full of TSRs back in the day. That, and CF-105s and F-108s over here.

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Bill. Hope you are keeping well.

Thanks Stix. My health is getting much better since I finished the chemo back in 2016 (I think it was then - I can't remember, it must be chemo brain). Now I just have to worry about my immune deficiency and make sure I get my IgG infusions each week. But it could be worse, they could be twice a week.    :)

Cheers everyone,

Bill

• Like 4

Hey Bill - all super looking builds, the TSR.2 is especially attractive (though I might be a bit biassed on that subject) but that Attacker is gorgeous.

Keep 'em coming and good luck on the 4+ ambitions - you can do it!

ATB
Rick

• Like 1

Thanks, mates! I really appreciate the nice comments. I'll be at Telford this year - I wonder if any of my models would survive a transatlantic voyage...    :hmmm:

Cheers,

Bill

On 12/25/2018 at 7:10 PM, Navy Bird said:

Hi mates,

Every year I promise I'll build more than a handful of models. 2018 was such a year - and again I was unable to deliver on my promise. Just four lousy models left the workbench at Chateau Oiseau de la Marine. Maybe there is some immutable law of physics that is preventing me from building more. But this will not prevent me from boldly predicting that in 2019, I will build more models! Many more! What do you think? Can I do it? Or is this just the wistful wanderings of a wrinkled old man?

Here is the meager output from 2018:

1:72 BAC TSR.2 (completed March 2018)

Airfix

I've wanted a nice model of the TSR.2 in my collection for quite some time. I picked up one of the 1:72 scale Airfix kits (the one with the Stratos 4 Japanese sci-fi theme) and started collecting some aftermarket pieces. The kit, as moulded, is quite nice - but there were some areas that I felt could use some additional detail. Most of the aftermarket was from CMK, but I also used some photoetch from Eduard and a turned brass pitot from Master. As I found out, several of the CMK resin pieces could have used some aftermarket of their own, as I encountered some size and shape issues. The build also reminded me why I hate painting overall white schemes. 

IMG_1918

IMG_1878

IMG_1933

IMG_1868

1:72 Avro Anson Mk.I (completed June 2018)

Special Hobby

This was one of those projects that just didn't want to be built. I'm happy to say that I won the battle, but there were several times during this journey that I expected it to be a bin bunny. First, I left it where it could be reached by an inquiring two-year old. He decided to take the model for a test flight, resulting in a hard landing, ground loop, and breached fuselage. After a lengthy repair in the maintenance shed, it was determined that a foul-up in the repair orders resulted in an airframe built for a turret - when the subject of the build clearly didn't have one. This necessitated another trip to the maintenance shed for a major fuselage modification - after the airframe had just received a bright new coat of RAF Trainer Yellow. During this modification, the canopy decided to pop off...and the list goes on.

IMG_2432

IMG_2446

IMG_2429

IMG_2434

1:72 Northrop XP-56 Black Bullet (completed July 2018)

Special Hobby

Way back in 1939, whilst the buzz in Hollywood circled around the premiere of "The Wizard of Oz," the USAAF issued proposal R-40C, which directed the aerospace wizards to design a new pursuit aircraft with improved performance and armament compared to existing designs. This, of course, was nothing new - what was new, however, was the proposal specifically asking for innovative and unconventional ideas. Three different aircraft were built and flown as a result of this competition - the Vultee XP-54 "Swoose Goose," the Curtiss XP-55 "Ascender," and the subject of this build the Northrop XP-56 "Black Bullet." All three were pushers; the Swoose Goose featured an inverted gull "ducted" wing, aft mounted engine, twin booms, and an electrically fired downward ejection seat, the Ascender had canards, aft engine, swept wings, and two vertical tails, and the Black Bullet, being a Northrop project after all, was a small flying wing with an aft mounted engine and contra-rotating propellers. I love these odd-ball designs from this period, and it's great to have companies like Special Hobby produce these short run kits.

IMG_2568

IMG_2559

IMG_2576

IMG_2536

1:72 Supermarine Attacker FB.2 (completed December 2018)

AZ Model

Another FAA subject for my collection! Some say the Supermarine Attacker is a descendant of the Spitfire, and if you follow the Spitfire - Seafire - Spiteful - Seafang - Attacker development path, I suppose you could make that statement. In any event, the Attacker was the first jet powered aircraft to enter into service with the FAA, although its front line service lasted only three years. That's not at all unusual for the time, as new and better designs seemed to roll off the drawing board at a very rapid pace. The AZ Model kit is a typical short run kit, and includes a one-piece resin cockpit. My copy had some nasty moulding flaws around the tailwheel and arresting hook area which required scratchbuilding to replace. And it didn't include the boundary layer intake vanes, so they had to be made from styrene sheet stock. And it didn't come with folding wings...but at least I didn't have to carve the fuselage out of balsa like my Dad had to. I used an old Airwaves photoetch set to tart her up a bit.

IMG_2799

IMG_2808

IMG_2753

IMG_2769

Well, that's it. Pretty lame, I know, but next year - yeah baby! Next year we're gonna rock. Way more than four models. Like, maybe, five eh?

Cheers,

Bill

PS. I do have to say that there was another modelling project that occupied some of time in 2018, but it didn't result in a finished build. That's the big 1:32 scale Tamiya Spitfire Mk.IX that I'm finally building. I pretty much finished the cockpit, and I really hope to have this one finished in 2019. I think I spent more time just building the pit than I do on most 1:72 scale models entirely. Here are some shots of the cockpit in progress:

IMG_2645

IMG_2651

Happy New Year!

Still a hell of a lot more than me!

great builds bill

Rob