MarcusH

Happy Christmas to everyone,

It has been a while since I have posted on BM but better late than never. I am very surprised that there has been no call ( as far as I can see) for some company to produce a 1:700 QE CV. Given how novel the design I would have thought it would make a great model. If Tamia can produce a 1/700 kit of the updated Izumo carrier with ski-jump ( real life now aping fiction!) surely there is some company out there who would do the QE. Or is it because it is Royal Navy? I still seem to detect a residual prejudice to producing kits that fly ( or have flown) the White Ensign. 

• Like 1

I think you hit the nail firmly on the head Marcus.  With most of the manufacturers of good quality maritime injected moulded kits being based in the Far East, they cater for the markets that they know will sell, namely Japanese and American subjects.  I am amazed that Airfix aren't all over this like a rash but then I remember talking to a representative from Airfix at a show about 5/6 years back just after the Type 45 had come out about producing some more RN subjects ( I was pushing for a Type 22/42) and I was told that at the time they had no plans to ever produce any new tool maritime kits.  Since their focus ever since has been WW2 and early cold war aircraft which seem to be going down very well with the public, I see sadly little reason from a business perspective why they would wish to change that policy.

I guess we will have to wait for someone like Atlantic Models or Starling Models to do her in resin.  Personally I would prefer 1/600 or 1/350 but I doubt we will ever see a resurgence in 1/600 and 1/350 resin would be simply cost prohibitive.

• Like 1

It is as you guys say but occasionally British stuff does come out eg Type 45 destroyer of the RN, so our QE carrier may come from the likes of Trumpeter. I don't think that current subjects are the problem, it''s filling the 'holes' from the past.

What I would like to know is how the companies decide what to produce as i've never been asked?

Stuart