Avon Sabre, history- flying

72modeler

I just now discovered this; in my opinion the Avon-powered Mk 32 was the highest-performing of all of the Sabres, and A94-983 has to be one of the prettiest. If I could fly a golden age weenie-cooker, it would be the Sabre Mk 32 or the Hunter FGA9. I hope you will find this a good modeling reference as well as a good read.

Mike

https://fsb.raafansw.org.au/docPDF/Flying_the_Sabre__1.pdf

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing ! I saw her flying in Williamtown in 2010 and loved the sight of this aircraft in the sky

I am soooo jealous, Giorgio! She is the prettiest Sabre of all, in my biased opinion!

Mike

That was one of the good things of living for a while in Australia, got to see aircraft that are impossible to find in Europe or the US. There were of course a lot of other positive things, but they would be better discussed in a different section of the forum.. at least the ones that can be discussed on an internet forum 😁

Anyway, here she is in 2010, heading to the runway for take off

b54fe658-8d51-4202-9b9b-6ece2126e332.JPG

During that airshow she took part in a formation flight with other past and current RAAF types. I only had a compact digital camera back then so this picture was the best I could get with my small Olympus

cc7a9e36-758a-4a9e-90c9-fb0b67be837b.JPG

I have an Academy kit with a High Planes conversion that I started preparing, I should really make a proper start on this kit. I'd have built a Grey Nurse Spitfire for the current Pacific GB but in the end I focused on an RAF one, in any case RG-V will be my next Spitfire. And I have kits and decals for both the Hornet and the Hawk... one day I will complete this group in 1/72 scale

P.S.  I believe that everybody should go to Australia at least once and I keep saying this to everyone I know. For an aircraft enthusiast there's the added bonus of a very active community, with many warbirds and several interesting museums

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2

Not sure it was tyhe best performing sabre., a toss up with the F-86H. The J-73 put out 2890Lbs of thrust to the Avon 7500lbs. The CAC was more streamlined. Perfomance figure for both are about the same spped wise.

Julien

You might be right, Julien. Before I posted, I did some math from the published specs. The F-86H was listed as weighing 13,836 lbs. empty, with 8.920 lbs. thrust. The Mk 32 Sabre was listed at 12,000lbs empty with 7,500 lbs. thrust. That gives the H a power to weight ratio of 1.55 (If I figured it right) and the Mk 32 1.6. With the lower weight, the Mk 32 would have had a  lower wing loading than the H, so maybe it was a little better in speed and maneuverability;  the armament was slightly superior to the H, in both caliber and rate of fire. Too bad we don't have an airworthy F-86H to pit against a Mk 32 to settle the debate!

Mike

Now, let's get back to some really important discussion- like the Mk XII Spitfire! 😜

Being of an older generation, my father worked on these both at Williamtown in NSW and Butterworth in what is now Malaysia.

I well remember their zoom climb ability, going from ground level to about 14,000' then straight down again, never saw anything to match them until I saw an EE Lightning for the first time.

Their ability to get on the ground quickly was another feature which I found out on my second solo flight back in the late '60's when I tangled with four of them, I was told to do a low level right hand circuit, then just past mid downwind told to do an orbit, 4 of them broke over the top of me in what they call an initial at about 400 knots and were on the ground just as I finished the first orbit

• Like 2