Frog Beaufighter (with a bit of Airfix)

AdrianMF

Well I’ve got a Frog Beaufighter with no engines:

1-DC8-BA88-CC59-4902-A900-AC9-FF9078-D26

84-C87-AE6-D7-A5-4-DFD-81-CB-8637-AFEB5-

... and some Airfix bits...

8-DAC0-EB1-C5-B5-46-EA-84-EB-9-F853-FB37

So what happens if you replace some of the old Frog bits with Shiny New Airfix ones?

32-C7-C862-74-C5-4-A87-92-BA-5736-F54-BD

...and scratch up some other Beaufighter details that you used up elsewhere?

6-FB5-F843-3227-4285-8-F5-D-4-BF12-CA4-C

I wasn’t planning to start it, honest!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 16
  • Haha 5

Another interesting project using the waste not want not technique.

Mind if I take a seat in corner and watch and learn

Seasons Greetings to you and yours

Roger 

• Thanks 1

Waste nor, want not indeed! I’m sure this will turn out as spiffing as your ongoing Beaufort.

In the meantime here is the cockpit detailing from my rather tired NOVO clone.

35940705553_c50707b938_b.jpg

I did this in the Less Than a Tenner group build a few years ago.

Trevor 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

cockpit detailing

Thanks Trevor!

Actually the big stepped floor that Frog give you puts the pilot and observer on the right levels and gives an impression of the wing spar (slightly ruined by the bulkhead-that-isn’t-there, which you seem to have spotted in your build) so it isn’t too shabby an effort for back in the day. I was also surprised at how well the Airfix belly And Frog fuselage match up - I was all ready to stick the Frog bits back if it went pear-shaped!

I think I’m done with my interior now, bar maybe a gunsight. I’ve had a lot of genuine easy fun with this one so far...

Thanks,

Adrian

• Like 1

Nice, Adrian. 

When I did the old frog Beau, I replaced the engine cowlings with Aeroclub ones.  However, I had to bulk up the nacelles behind with milliput, as the new cowlings made them look a bit anaemic.

Regards

Martin

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

anaemic.

Doh! I should have kept the Airfix bits when I cut them off the other one! Thanks for the heads up, I will keep an eye on how it looks. The new Airfix cowlings might not be as big as the Aeroclub ones though.

Regards,

Adrian

Whoopsie, got distracted again while I was waiting for the Beaufort to dry 😛

FF3-BAB2-D-35-CF-4500-9-A52-4-C0-CFF5-F7

the wings had a little platform for all the struts and a big ‘ole. I cut away most of the platform, keeping a firm location for the main legs, then boxed in the firewall and under the wing with a recess to take the wheel. When it has set I can add some fake structure and paint it.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 5

21 hours ago, mike romeo said:

anaemic

I did a little mocking up:

8-D82197-E-C6-FF-4561-8289-CD9563-EA1-A6

I think I’m going to leave the nacelles alone. I suspect the new Airfix cowlings aren’t as big as the aftermarket ones. But thanks for the warning, better safe than sorry!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Britman said:

Are you saving the Airfix kit for the upcoming Merlin conversion set

The Beaufighter was a re-design of the Beaufort, using the wings, undercarriage and tail (early small no-dihedral tailplane). So I have cross kitted the old Frog Beaufort fuselage and the new Airfix Beaufighter wings and tail together in another topic here. The Airfix Hercules cowlings are a bit big to represent the Beaufort Taurus ones, so when I looked at the Frog Beaufighter in a recent stash shuffle I decided to use the (smaller) Frog cowlings on the Beaufort, which left me the Airfix engines for this one. There isn't much left of the Airfix Beaufighter now, just two butchered fuselage halves.

But I do have another one in the stash! A Merlin conversion would be interesting - I would probably do it by copying a Lancaster engine (the Lancaster engine mounting was copied from the Beaufighter installation, I believe) and fiddling with the nacelle a bit like I did on the Beaufort. I'm allergic to paying money for resin conversion sets...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There was a lot of Milliput, but most of it has been sanded away:

0161-EB88-5-BF2-4-A04-8-C05-5-F980-E970-

i didn’t want to rescribe the thing so I replaced just the raised panel lines I’d sanded away by cutting with a scalpel along the edges of some 3M blue tape. This gives a groove and raised edges, which I hope will look about the same as the original lines under three or four brushed layers of acrylic. 

Here’s the underside with the tail wheel well, 3M tape and the file I used to get a nice flat inner wing:

9-B688933-B9-E0-40-A7-8-E92-51-A3-FEA911

Sanding sticks give a little, so I needed a file to get the join absolutely flat. Seems to have done the trick!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 8

First finish of 2019:

EB358935-95-C9-4-E88-8-E39-FE10423-ACC9-

7332-BD00-E979-4-FC3-8-C6-B-29310517-EC3

I had a bit of a modelling frenzy yesterday and today, so in-progress pictures are a bit sparse! I’m very pleased with how the wing joint disappeared with Milliput and filing and the old Airfix Phantom decal sheet provided exactly the right “3” for the cowling. I will try to take some proper pictures for RFI.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 12

Thanks Gents! I'm quite pleased with the build for an unintentional quickie and I weathered the black quite hard to get a worn look.

I reaaaally need to finish that Beaufort and move on with my life. 2019 resolution!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

This looks great Adrian ( as well as very black ;) ) those engines look so much better than the Frog ones, I'm now wondering if I could do something similar with the HPM update set for the old Airfix Beau, the Frog Beau is a much better shape than the Airfix one to my eye.

Steve.

• Thanks 1