Colours for JASDF U-125A

huvut76g7gbbui7

Anyone know what the FS or equivalent is for the two tone grey ones?

Sword only give the Mr. Color call outs and unless I am reading Sword's instructions wrong I've to use C-323 Pale blue and C-56 IJN grey which doesn't look correct.

I can't find any references for what the equivalent colors are across paint systems (i.e. Federal STD or even Pantone), but the Model Art JASDF markings issue lists the upper color for the U-125As as Japanese Standard color S28-852 and the lower as S10-608.

Not sure that really helps much, but someone might know of a way to cross reference Japanese STD colors?

Mike

I haven't had time to check photos, but if the U-125A color scheme is the same as the low-viz YS-11E one for the JASDF, those colors are listed as FS36231 Upper and FS36440 Lower...

Edited by 757flyer
  • Thanks 1

If it's the darker of the two it is the same colour as the Mitsubish F2 and some Phantoms and rescue Black hawk's. Sword have the picture on the box upside down. It's called deep ocean blue on the top and shallow ocean blue on the bottom.

Mr colour do them C375  and C372 I have only found these colours in a three pot box from Mr colour called JASDF oceanic camouflage colours.

regards Glenn.

Edited by cardiff guy

Thanks for those replies.

@cardiff guy,I'm doing the lighter coloured one as I've only seen 52-3001,002 and 003.(I only build aircraft which I have seen)

I queried Sword's choice of light blue for the top but the more I look the more I see blue rather than grey.

@757flyer Now I know what the Sword colour codes mean although by using their recommended Mr.Color paints I would have these colours

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/color.php?cKey=362

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/color.php?cKey=264

More research required then as they don't look right.

Hi Scimitar  Had a quick look at my North Wings U-125 and as per Sword they use the Mr Color references. Their calls are:-

Upper surface  80% (No 1)+ 20% (No 323)

Lower surface  70% (No 1) + 20% (No 74) + 10% (No 26)

Wing Leading Edge 60% (No 8)+40% (No28).  hth Chris

• Thanks 1

Hello @Scimitar ... I know _alfisti_  is working on the same kit,

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235047044-hawker-beechcraft-u-125a-jasdf-air-rescue/

maybe he might have an idea. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

hi there,

the North Wings kit mixtures are the closest (i have the kit too) as they are also the same as those quoted in the Model Art books. There are no direct equivalent paint colours available as far as i know but if you end up doing the dark blue U-125, those colours are the same as the Mitsubishi F-2.

Hope this helps

Andy

45 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

There are no direct equivalent paint colours available as far as i know but if you end up doing the dark blue U-125, those colours are the same as the Mitsubishi F-2.

I had come to the conclusion that I would have to mix but I really detest this 20% of this and 10% of that and add 5% of another just to make sure malarky!

One thing I have re-confirmed is that it is nigh impossible to decide on a colour from a photo.

I'll be building 002 as it is one of the three I have seen and in some photos it is very obviously two tone grey and in others it is two tone blue. 

I have had no luck finding a Japanese standard paint chart which easily translates and the same with interior photos.

I had planned to open the door but now perhaps not.

Thanks for everybody's input.

• 2 months later...

Have just ordered the Mr. Color 3xpot JASDF Oceanic Camouflage set C374,375 & C376 for this kit which are presumably the right colours. Does anybody have the right NAMES for these colours?

• 1 year later...

I know, I know, this is a super-late reply - sorry (let's chalk it up to senility).

FYI, The Japanese SDF uses a colour standard with the alphanumeric title Z8021E.

The colours specified within the standard, which is titled NDS Z 8021E - as well as some of their associated properties - can be seen here: http://www.mod.go.jp/atla/nds/Z/Z8201E.pdf.

I think the colours therein, while given different numerical names, are still pegged to the US FS595 standard (I'll have to do a little more reading).

Despite having lived here for some time, I still struggle with the written language (I am, however, proud of my 'functional' literacy skills), so it would take forever to try and translate it for you. Hopefully, some nice Japanese modellers, or others with actual Japanese reading skills, can help.

Good luck (頑張って),

BB

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 2

Hi All,

The above is correct but in no way covers all of the Japanese colours and doesn't relate directly to other standard either.

The strange colour codes are actually the Munsell  system. Google it and you will find all sorts of colour charts and other help.

Some codes in the spec are not complete and the colour descriptions are generic too in some cases, such as.Blue or Grey.

Google Translate scanner works pretty well on documents, at least to give you the jist of what is meant.

To be honest, the best way of matching colours for Japanese aircraft, if they aren't specifically available (like the oceanic blues), is by eye, or taking photos to model shops and matching shades.

Andy

3 hours ago, Red Dot said:

The strange colour codes are actually the Munsell  system.

That would be the letter-number combinations, wouldn't it?

How does one go about using them to get a paint mix using commercially-available paints?

That's right BB. With the full code, I suppose you could get a paint mixer to create it for you, but I guess you need to buy a large amount of paint, not a small model pot.

The other difficulty is matching the spec colours to photos and the model. Being a pdf file, the colours aren't reproduced so well, and depend on your computer screen etc.

Best to just use it as a guide

Andy

3 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Some codes in the spec are not complete and the colour descriptions are generic too in some cases, such as.Blue or Grey.

I tried running some of the paragraphs against the Bing and Google translate systems and I am still confused regarding the link between the FS595 family and the Japanese colours. Here's an example (I apologise in advance for a. the straight translation 'Japlish' and b. not putting this quote into any kind of context for the colour tables!)

"Regarding the tolerance, the three colors (color numbers 2314, 3414, and 3606) that are considered to be particularly important in color management are used. Regarding the color number 2314, refer to Federal Standard No. 595a (Colors) at the time of enactment, and refer to the color number 3414 and 3606 was based on the color number 2314 and was based on the Nickerson fading index when the D version was revised in 1990. Was defined by. These roughly correspond to the differences that can be perceived when performing a strict visual comparison. Other standards For color, if a tolerance specification is required, it shall be specified in each specification, and this standard specifies Not determined"

This has broken my brain...

10 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

Best to just use it as a guide

Hmmm, bummer!

I might just trust the Japanese kit instructions - maybe it's a better bet than matching the colours by eye (especially with my eyes)!

Thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated,

BB

6 hours ago, Blimpyboy said:

Hmmm, bummer!

I might just trust the Japanese kit instructions - maybe it's a better bet than matching the colours by eye (especially with my eyes)!

Thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated,

BB

Which colours are you wanting exactly? For which scheme on which plane?

Maybe I can help

Andy

BB,

Have you got the original file of that chart and if so can you mail it to me please? it is much better than the pdf file in terms of colour.

thanks

Andy

8 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Which colours are you wanting exactly? For which scheme on which plane?

First off - I have sent you a message with the Japanese colour file (plus some other pages that may be helpful).

As for colours, I want to do a bog-standard Mitsubishi F1. I know that Gunze originally made colours specially for this scheme, but I am wondering if there is a mix that gives a better 'worn' look, like this:

frfaQwI.jpg

Also, the bog-standard US-2:

9905.jpg

Thanks in advance,

BB

Edited by Blimpyboy

🙂 those are easy!!!

As you say, the F-1 colours are produced by Mr Color. To get a faded look, massively dilute some light grey with thinners and spray mist it over the camouflage colours. This is just one method, but if you read magazines, you will see many more. Why not ask a question in the modern aircraft section of BM?

The US-2 is painted in the same dark blue as the F-2. It is available from Mr Color, MRP etc. Undersides are Light Gull Grey

Andy

Edited by Red Dot

1 hour ago, Red Dot said:

🙂 those are easy!!!

As you say, the F-1 colours are produced by Mr Color. To get a faded look, massively dilute some light grey with thinners and spray mist it over the camouflage colours. This is just one method, but if you read magazines, you will see many more. Why not ask a question in the modern aircraft section of BM?

The US-2 is painted in the same dark blue as the F-2. It us available from Mr Color, MRP etc.

Andy

Yeah, the base colours for F-1s are easy to find, I do find; however, that they are extremely bright. I haven't had much success with overspraying other colours, but think I just need to experiment more.

I suspected the blue was the same as that for the F-2, good to have some confirmation.

I do have some 1/72 decals for a Japanese C-130 (Flying Papas), but there is no colour information on the placement sheet it's for the original colour scheme (see below). I suspect it uses the same colours as the European 1 scheme, but it would be nice to have some confirmation - do you have any thoughts on paints (Gunze/Mr Color is easy to get here, obviously, but if you have other brand information, I'm all ears!

4737.jpg

4738.jpg

4721.jpg

Edited by Blimpyboy

You are right again about the C-130 colours, but as you can see, the grey fades a little. Beware the bright sunlight though.

The Japanese paint brands are excellent quality and the produce virtually everything you need. Why bother with anything else?

Having been to Japan a few times, I know how lucky you are with model shops and aviation. Make the most of it

Abdy

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 09:05, Red Dot said:

The Japanese paint brands are excellent quality and the produce virtually everything you need. Why bother with anything else?

I was thinking the same thing, even more so after struggling to find the right Gunze paints here for a while.

Julien