The New 1/72nd Arma Hobby Hurricane Mk.I x 2,......1st One FINISHED!

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

Another quick update,..... I`ve added the first coat of Dark Earth. Unfortunately I`ve used up the last bottle of my favoured Aeromaster/Polly Scale acrylic stash so opted for Pactra,.....which is a bit too thick and not providing good enough coverage for my liking

DSCF5528DSCF5529

Wish me luck with the following coats!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, GrzeM said:

Don't worry, Pactras are OK. Just dilute it with vodka (seriously!) and paint many layers with very thin paint. 4th-5th layer will look almost perfect.

I`ll give that a try,....... trust a Pole to come up with that fix,...brilliant!!! I usually sand in between coats and try using vallejo acrylic thinner,...... but Vodka makes sense,... although it might not be as good as the stuff that you are used to. 

Cheers

Tony    

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Acrylic first coats always look naff - it will smarten up with the next few coats. Your camo lines look very neat - Looking good! 

Thanks,.....yeah I know the first coat always looks naff, ....... glad you like the lines, I used a very fine brush and filled in with a thicker one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

2nd coat on yet?

Trevor

Yes,...... it as a disaster and has been sanded off mate! I couldn`t find any Vodka to thin my Pactra Dark Earth,...... I`m searching for a suitable replacement at the moment! I did find a bottle of part used Polly Scale but that was thick too and went on like putty!

Cheers

Tony

• Sad 3

On 27/12/2018 at 19:22, Beard said:

I'm about to order one of these but seeing it built makes me think I should buy more than one - especially as you're going to be buying them all - but what to do with the banana box half-full of Airfix ones?

Send them to me, always need more Hurricanes. 😁

Rio

• Like 2

Hiya Folks,...... after a sanding session, I watered down the Polly Scale paint and I`m in the middle of filling in the Dark Earth areas,..... which still need to be tidied up yet;

DSCF5544

Cheers

Tony

• Like 18

Great work Tony so far they look like cracking kits.  One day maybe for me, but work on the house has started in earnest again so modelling time now very restricted (I am thinking of all of those brownie points I am banking for when the work is done !!!). 

Keep up the good work.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

A bit more progress,..... (using Village.photos after my Flickr account was stopped for being too large!) after sanding most of the camo off and trying again with ever thinner paint,.....here it is with the decals applied, for 73 Sqn in the Western Desert, from the Xtradecal sheet;

resized_50b3ae4c-a8eb-4e6d-89bf-fdc7d3b2

And here it is with the second model;

resized_da46b456-bf4e-4379-b238-b365ca0d

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 17

Looking very nice indeed. You should be on commission from Arma for the amount of models they’ll sell thanks to this thread!

I’m intruiged by the light coloured ring at the front of the nose. Is that supposed to be a replacement cowling part?

Trevor

• Like 1

Cheers Fella`s,..... glad you like it and I wish that I was on commission lol!!!

I did this aircraft previously in 1/32nd scale using the PCM kit;

resized_41d8786c-d9cd-4243-becf-c0fea623

And here it is with a photo of the real thing,...... I hand painted the 73 Sqn flash onto this large model;

resized_7547a5c3-01d0-4054-a0b0-0ad0059f

The silver forward ring was either a replacement part,..... or more likely part of the early `spaghetti' style scheme found on Hurricane`s circa 1941,...... with silver areas added to the nose and wing leading edges with `squiggles' added,....... the colours of the squiggles are said to range from green & brown to blue and violet,......I couldn`t see definite signs of these so only lightly represented what I could see using green. I`m also not sure whether they were on the wing leading edges (some versions of the photo show some sort of trace,...others show nothing!),...... so as the side of nose wasn`t painted the same way, I assumed that the `spaghetti' scheme was being removed,.....phew! Some were seen with just the silver paint without squiggles too.

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Folks,

Almost finished the first one,...... the second one has had its Dk. Earth Uppers applied;

resized_53566f52-a576-4457-be41-88adafd0

And the second one has now had the first coat of Dark Green brushed on;

resized_22ec493b-d643-4c6a-a292-79293c0e

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 8

Hiya Folks,

Well I`m calling the first one finished,... and here it is wearing its 73 Sqn desert markings,.....compared with a Hasegawa kit (boxed by H Hobby), wearing 303 Sqn markings;

resized_50da8acc-ecdc-4fde-92ee-dee289cf

And some more;

resized_799a173d-b8a4-4806-adff-2a4eadac

resized_ac5233ba-66b5-4b0e-8ea1-e41fcc87

resized_17b9f2f7-4a6d-4798-83b7-f6e6d0d4

resized_ed2b2fad-1e24-41e7-9394-917d478c

resized_abb79b42-5089-48ca-a131-1134e746

I`ll stick an RFI in later,

Thanks for all of your encouragement and if you bought one yourself, then I hope you enjoy it as much as I did,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 25

Nice. Received my Junior edition last Friday. Didn't feel the need for the etch as what plastic detail there is is good enough for me. Lots of flash on the main sprue though...but very very little on the actual parts,. Moulds must be wearing down already due to demand maybe??   Not sure when I will start it but not any time soon. I need the inspiration to do a Hurricane first and plenty of it here but as I said not planning to build just yet.

• Like 1