How accurate are the 1/48 and 1/32 Revell Eurofighter kits?

bushande

Hello everybody,

first of all, let me wish you all a merry, blessed and peaceful Christmas eve and some hopefully quiet and relaxing holidays and tha yu all may get some of your heart’s desires under the tree.

However, I still need to bother the Eurofighter experts among you:

I am currently planning my first Eurofighter model projects in 1/48 and 1/32.

I am focussing on the SINGLE SEATER!

While I do not have any other option than the Revell Tiffy in 1/32 (no, the Trumpet is too far off the original and the flaws are too prominent to even be remotely consideed – that thing is a strict NONO for me), I am not too sure about 1/48.

However, as far as I understand, the 1/48 and 1/32 Revell kits are basically the same mold just in different scales, is that correct?

My actual question is, how accurate is the 1/48, respectively the 1/32 Revell kit shapewise? Mediocre detail is nothing I consider a too big problem and I can cope with suboptimal fit. The real turn off for me are shape issues. I usually like to spend time with the model researching the original and any possible deviations but for these projects my building time is sadly somewhat limited but I still do want to get the most accurate result possible.

1.      So again, how close tot he original are the two Revell kits?

2.      Are there any more accurate alternatives out there from other producers?

3.      If the Revell kits in both scales are indeed the most accurate options out there, that doesn’t mean they don’t have flaws. Hence, what would I have to take into consideration during the build? Are there any inaccurate panel lines? Where would still be detail missing? Is there something that needs to be done to correct them shapewise?

I’m well aware oft he terrible fit oft he speed brakes and also the not so well designed intakes. I do hope I can cope with these two. However, are there any other inaccuracies or shortcomings that I need to deal with?

I’d be most grateful for any good advice and constructive information that would make things easier for me. Many many thanks in advance to anyone in advance fort he effort and time.

Best wishes

Alex

Edited by bushande

This might have some useful information for you:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/viewtopic.php?f=149674&t=226920&p=2243805&hilit=revell+eurofighter#p2243805

There are also discussions of the kit to be found at Britmodeller. Nobody seems to mention anything large/glaring in the way of shape accuracy, but there are quite a few comments about soft detail and some building issues.

In 1/48 and 32 Revell is the way to go!

No errors whatsoever ;)

Not the easiest builds though!

Take care,  Revell originally also released the Italeri kit... that is the one with the photo on the box... do NOT take that one!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

Awesome! Thank you all very much for the intel and reassurance. I do already have the current 1/48 boxing.

So I can rest assured that I at least have the most accurate kit currently available. So I guess it's now up to me to attend to whatever little flaws regarding the detailing the kit might still have. Let's see how that goes.

Once again, thanks a ton for your input! Much appreciated.

Edited by bushande

Resin nozzles would be great... but not a lot to chose from in 48....  same goes for cockpit especially the seat... could with some detailing!

Not sure about the Eduard interior PE ...

A bit neglected this kit!!

Thanks again for the input. Yes I noticed that by now as well. Kind of puzzling to me, considering how popular he kit seems to be?!

Even more so it is strange that none of the aftermarket providers ever attented to the intakes?!

And eventually I don't quite follow aires' rationale not just downscaling their apparently quite neat 1/32 nozzles.

I read from other WIP reports that the kit seats do seem to be rather o.k. though?

Edited by bushande
  • Like 1

The cockpit is more than ok!

Just with all the resin available , no EF seat!

There is/was an intake.....

Olimp resin do a seamless intake duct.. I have it but did not use it yet.... surely will not solve the kit's fit issues....

And also nice nozzles...

And an armament set for Libya missions!

As you really seem to want to know, there is /was also an complete intake by Heritage Models.. quite expensive and if still available though???

Pix below ;)

X929dZo.jpg

FWtx2SF.jpg

ZRANfVJ.jpg

Edited by exdraken

I sold my EF-2000 on (planned the single seater in a primer livery) but searched for after market stuff myself before. I ended up to build it OOB (which never happend) as the Olimp sets (at least the exhausts) are reported to be undersized. The Heritage intake was as I understood it just the assembled kit parts. So you safe filling and sanding these, but it was not clear if the resin piece was a better fit to the kit. I doubt it is still available. Most of the sets and kits are no longer produced it seems. Quite a pity as they had some nice and unique things (though of different quality).

The Eduard sets give you some additional detail but at the price I thought they would not be necessary for my to-be build. Check the Eduard page - you can download the instructions, which give a good idea about the details you get.

Rene

I have built single seat Revel Eurofighter. 

Its a challenging kit to build. The intake is too much work to get the parts fit properly and align. The wing join to the bottom of fuselage is another challenge. If you plan to build the kit with decals supplied in the kit, they are typical Revell decals - too thick and out of register.

Then there are errors, usual in Revell kits, in instruction steps which is another to challenge to take care of. 

I built the kit over couple of years on and off. It was exhausting. So much that I sold the two seat version which I planned to build. 

Nonetheless, it builds into a nice kit if you like building kits which are not straight forward. 

Edited by stalal

Hmmm ... interesting replies altogether. I don't mind a chellenging build however, I just don't want to tackle any prominent shape issues again. However that does not so much seem to be the case with this kit anyways as I figure after some reading. Not quite sure what to do in terms of after market stuf though. For such a prominent kit it seems there's way too little available.

Anyways, after your posts I think I'll refrain from any resin stuff but the PE stuff might be worth a thought.

Thank you all gentlemen for your effort and the valuable input. It has sure been of great help and much appreciated!

• Like 1

It’s one of those kits that doesn’t look too tempting just looking at the sprues... definitely not on par with their Rafale or F-15E which dates from about the same period iirc.

That being said, every time I see one built online, the result is almost always stunning!!!  So despite the work involved, in my opinion the kit is worth the effort.

But I think it’s time for a new tool kit... Something I would love Kinetic to tackle going by their current standard!

G

• Like 1

On 12/24/2018 at 2:40 PM, bushande said:

3.      If the Revell kits in both scales are indeed the most accurate options out there, that doesn’t mean they don’t have flaws. Hence, what would I have to take into consideration during the build? Are there any inaccurate panel lines? Where would still be detail missing? Is there something that needs to be done to correct them shapewise?

Revell is by far the most accurate Typhoon in 1/48 and 1/32. In terms of "inaccuracies" they are largely minor, the main one being the location of the avionics bay behind the cockpit on the 1/48 scale kit. The fuselage as moulded has the bay behind the cockpit, underneath the airbrake, which is fine for a twin-seater but incorrect for a single seater. On the single-seater it should be further forward, where the small strake and formation light are located. You should be able to see what I mean by looking at photos of the two variants. It's a simple enough job to fill and scribe. The other ones that stick out for me (and I'm going from memory as it's been a while since I built one) are adding the laser warner lenses either side of the nose, just behind the radome, and moving the strobe light under the intake from the port to the starboard side. Oh, and if you really want to you can add the strengthening plate at the top of the fin, just below the fin cap. Simple bit of fabrication with some plastic card. 

In terms of missing detail, the glareshield under the windscreen is missing all of the air conditioning vents etc., and the kit is missing the inboard wing pylons. Other than that it's fine. 

One last thing is to check references for the weapons loads, particularly if you are planning to load Meteor onto the fuselage launchers as the front and rear missiles are oriented differently. 

Thanks again for the repl and the clarification. much appreciated. I was aware of the missing / misplaced avionics bay for the 1/48 single seater. Seems as if the 1/32 edition doesn't have that flaw?! IRST and strobe light change won't be a big problem as I am planning to do a Luftwaffe bird so that'l be fine. I just don't want to cope with any shape issues as these are the hardest to rectify. The stiffener at the fin top is a good advice though. I just checked the kit and you are totally correct.

21 hours ago, bushande said:

Thanks again for the repl and the clarification. much appreciated. I was aware of the missing / misplaced avionics bay for the 1/48 single seater. Seems as if the 1/32 edition doesn't have that flaw?! IRST and strobe light change won't be a big problem as I am planning to do a Luftwaffe bird so that'l be fine. I just don't want to cope with any shape issues as these are the hardest to rectify. The stiffener at the fin top is a good advice though. I just checked the kit and you are totally correct.

The avionics bay was corrected for the 1/32 single-seater, although I'm not sure if they've used the same fuselage halves for the 1/32 twin-seater (which would make them incorrect). 

The IRST is fine, its the tiny lenses underneath that on both sides of the nose that are missing (although I'm not sure if any of these are fitted to the German aircraft).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks for all the past replies and please excuse the late getback. Had some rather demanding months lately. I am working on the 1/48 Revell Tiffy now since January and boy I tell you, as nice as it is shaewise, there is just so much to do in terms of correcting the canopy (thanks for your link meindert. Already found it a tad earlier and you are spot on reg. the position of the canopy) and adding detail.

I hopy I'll be able to finish the project within the next two months and will then, god willing, do a little WIP thread.

The model is supposed to serve as the master kit for the 1/48 and 1/32 Ghost Tiger decals, but that is still some way to go I fear.