Academy 1/72nd PBY-4 Catalina, A24-28/C of the Seaplane Training Squadron at Rathmines, Australia in 1942-43,

Hiya Folks,..... another Aussie Catalina,..... this one is an earlier PBY-4 with a chequered history,.....having flown with the US Navy in the Phillipines and Dutch East Indies it was abandoned here but then repaired by a Dutch crew who flew it to Australia during the fall of the East Indies to the Japanese. Following an overhaul by the RAAF the `boat' was re serialled as A24-28 and it became `C' of the Seaplane Training Squadron at Rathmines in 1942-43, wearing a Dark Ocean Blue & EDSG scheme with black undersides. The scheme on the model was applied by rattle can with the EDSG brush painted on top.

Here is the WIP;

Here together with its operational PBY-5 brethren;

DSCF5483_NEW

And the model;

DSCF5481DSCF5477_NEWDSCF5476_NEWDSCF5473_NEWDSCF5472_NEWDSCF5467_NEWDSCF5469_NEW

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 46
  • Thanks 2

Nice, i've been meaning to do one similar.

These recycled early US/NEI/RAAF Cats are an interesting subject on their own.

The one i was looking to do, my references show at some stage the rudder was changed out for the later style though not sure how they managed to fit that,unless the whole tail was changed.

• Like 1

Just now, Fredag said:

Nice, i've been meaning to do one similar.

These recycled early US/NEI/RAAF Cats are an interesting subject on their own.

The one i was looking to do, my references show at some stage the rudder was changed out for the later style though not sure how they managed to fit that,unless the whole tail was changed.

Thanks very much,..... yes I noticed that during my research and I mention it in the WIP,..... this aircraft was one of those which later received a new fin and rudder. They may well have fitted an all new tailplane.

1 minute ago, Kampartiger said:

Simply superb.Beautifully done Aussie Catalinas especially A24-28.Never seen one in that guise.Merry Christmas everyone.

Thank you very much indeed and Merry Christmas to you too,

Cheers

Tony

Hello Tony,

Superb model.

Interesting story. I was aware of the Dutch Catalina's flying to Australia.

There was the Broome disaster, during a Japanese attack. (dark page in Dutch Naval Aviation)

But this model and it's history is remarkable. Fredag is also doing a CAT with some similar history.

What became of C eventually?

Regards, Orion

• Like 2

Hello Tony,

Found the answer in your WIP. Sold to some chap named Campbell.

probably for the scrap yard.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Orion said:

Hello Tony,

Superb model.

Interesting story. I was aware of the Dutch Catalina's flying to Australia.

There was the Broome disaster, during a Japanese attack. (dark page in Dutch Naval Aviation)

But this model and it's history is remarkable. Fredag is also doing a CAT with some similar history.

What became of C eventually?

Regards, Orion

Thanks Orion,... glad you like it.

Here is the aircraft history from the excellent ADF Serials website,..... it had the later style larger tail fin and rudder fitted too, maybe utilising an entirely new tail section;

A24-28PBY-47

BuNo 1219

MLD Y-3

One of only two PBY-4's operated by the RAAF, the other being A24-29, and one of only 4 Catalinas from Patrol Wing 10 to survive the withdrawal from the Philippines and the Netherlands East Indies.

02/03/42 Abandoned by the USN at the port of Tjilatjap during the evacuation of Java and was subsequently struck off charge. The aircraft was with USN Patrol Squadron 101 (VP-101) of Patrol Wing 10 and coded "3".
06/03/42 Repaired by the evaccuating Dutch MLD and informally assigned the serial number Y-3. The Dutch flew it out of Tjilatjap with half a tank of fuel and a defective compass for Broome, WA.
07/03/42 Arrived in Broome, WA and obtained an anchor from one of the Catalina wrecks from the Japanese air raid on 3 March and a map so they could proceed to Perth, WA.
08/03/42 After stopping at Port Headland, WA for repairs and refueling they arrived at Perth, WA. The Dutch retained custody of the aircraft. At some point the Dutch crew departed Perth and flew the aircraft across southern Australia stopping at Albany (WA), Adelaide (SA) and Melbourne (VIC) before arriving at the Seaplane Training Squadron, Rathmines, NSW where they left the aircraft in the hands of the RAAF.
30/05/42 Approval given for A24-28 to be used for training purposes when serviceable as it was unsuitable for operations.
20/10/42 Received Seaplane Training Squadron (STS) which later became No. 3 Operational Training Unit (3OTU) in 12/42. Coded "C".
31/12/43 Received 11 Squadron. Coded FJ-L. 
04/02/44 Received 2 FBRD for overhaul and significant modification.
03/08/44 Received 11 Squadron. 
03/10/46 Sold to Kingsford-Smith Aviation Service Pty Ltd, Bankstown Airport, Sydney NSW.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Stunning build, Tony!

I have never seen the Catalinas in this color scheme - verinteresting and fresh-looking 👍

Cheers! 😎

Thanks Nikolay,..... glad you like them and cheers for your kind remarks,...... I like to model something a bit different and to push the boundaries a little if I can,

All the best

Tony  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tonyot,

Copied your information regarding the Cats.

Transmitted to the Dutch Cat Org. and one for me.

Thanks a lot for all the effort.

Regards, Orion

• Like 1