***finished***Airfix Shackleton AEW

PhantomBigStu

7 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Stu,

Draw Decal in the USA do a number of P-8A sheets for USN, Indian Navy, and RAAF subjects

I shall investigate, though would it be pushing the rules if I printed decals to do it as the raf mock-up aircraft shown here? 

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/testing-times-raf-personnel-in-team-effort-to-prepare-p-8a-poseidon-for-uk-service/

11 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I shall investigate, though would it be pushing the rules if I printed decals to do it as the raf mock-up aircraft shown here? 

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/testing-times-raf-personnel-in-team-effort-to-prepare-p-8a-poseidon-for-uk-service/

I am afraid it can't be included as it is not in service with the RAF yet There is no definite colour scheme that can be confirmed at this time unless you know someone in the Ministry of Defence who is involved with the project?

I have seen another mockup with lighter markings like so...

p8.jpg?auto=compress,format&crop=top&fit

• 2 weeks later...

👍 I am using the same decals for my build Stu and have used this type on a couple of other P-3 builds.

When the time comes it will help if you use some setting solution to get them to stick down and settle.  Be aware that only 11 Squadron operates the P-8 (albatross tail marking). 10 Squadron will go on to operate the Triton UAVs when they are introduced in a few years time.

( Thought I had posted this comment last week! Looks like I did not hit the 'Submit Reply' button)

• Like 2

On 1/30/2019 at 4:12 AM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

👍 I am using the same decals for my build Stu and have used this type on a couple of other P-3 builds.

When the time comes it will help if you use some setting solution to get them to stick down and settle.  Be aware that only 11 Squadron operates the P-8 (albatross tail marking). 10 Squadron will go on to operate the Triton UAVs when they are introduced in a few years time.

( Thought I had posted this comment last week! Looks like I did not hit the 'Submit Reply' button)

Thanks for the heads up, a while before it gets there, those windows are proving pesky to get them all filled and sanded at any one time 

• Like 1

having issues with the vallejo grey which isn't helping the windows issue, going to switch to lifecolour grey,that should be easier to work with, obviously be stupid to just order one pot so I shall have to research the rest of the range to see what else to order 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

On 1/30/2019 at 2:12 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

...  Be aware that only 11 Squadron operates the P-8 (albatross tail marking). 10 Squadron will go on to operate the Triton UAVs when they are introduced in a few years time.

Nooooooooo!!!!!  Say it ain't so!  How horrible to put a UAV alongside all the other great aircraft 10 Squadron operated!  

9 hours ago, Rob S said:

Nooooooooo!!!!!  Say it ain't so!  How horrible to put a UAV alongside all the other great aircraft 10 Squadron operated!  

Don't worry Rob, 10 Squadron will operate the last 2 P-3s for another few years, but the Triton will appear on the flight line there about the time these last P-3s are finally retired.

• 2 weeks later...

well not feeling great over this, did order the lifecolor grey and stupidly deicded to stip the vallejo off which took most of the filler out, now I've discovered the revell kits engines are wrong for the NG, so not sure I want to waste the nice decals on a kit thats so wrong, and get myself a zvezda 800 in the future to use them and the resin part on....:(  

I do have a set of cfms56 from an airbus319 though I suspect it will be a real pain to get them onto the 737 pylons, certainly won't by the deadline so probably best to call this one off 

Stu, I would not worry about the engines, the obvious difference is that the intake looks a little rounder though still with a flatish bottom externally. There is a good thread in the Airline section that shows how to fix the Revell engines up. The A319 CFMs are totally the wrong shape for a 737.

2 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Stu, I would not worry about the engines, the obvious difference is that the intake looks a little rounder though still with a flatish bottom externally. There is a good thread in the Airline section that shows how to fix the Revell engines up. The A319 CFMs are totally the wrong shape for a 737.

Yes that’s was the thread that prompted my dispair, though I hadn’t read past the first correction to see finished result, I can live with slightly wrong engines. So it’s back on the agenda :)