This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

tonyot

Academy 1/72nd PBY-5 `Black Cat', 43 Sqn, RAAF, Australia 1943.

Hiya Folks,..... here is my Academy PBY-5 from the Maritime Patrol & Coastal Command GB, built as an Aussie `Black Cat' from 43 Sqn. RAAF flown on night mine laying and bombing operations across the South Pacific area from Australia in 1943, wearing the markings of A24-65, OX-H `Some Chicken'. The Black was applied by rattle can but the US Navy Sea Blue and EDSG upper surfaces were brush painted. Here is the WIP;

I built it alongside a PBY-4;

DSCF5483_NEW

And here is the PBY-5;

DSCF5457_NEWDSCF5458_NEW

DSCF5456_NEW

DSCF5455

DSCF5466_NEWDSCF5461_NEWDSCF5454_NEWDSCF5464_NEW

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot

Nice...

...I sold off four or five Academy Cats during a stash cull at the beginning of the year, but kept a part-started one - hope mine turns out looking as good if I ever finish it, but as with the start of yours, I'm torn between RAAF, RNZAF and RCAF!

Really nice job on it, especially considering you used a rattle-can and brushes!  I really like the subtle weathering.

Cheers,

Mark

Every time you post I think 'how the hell does he get a finish like that by brush painting?'.  Excellent model - again.

Beautiful Catalina, Tony! The weathering and staining along the waterline are especially nice!

Mike

Thank you everybody for your very kind comments,

Merry Christmas,

Cheers

Tony

Very nice! Your build recalled how beauty and one in the kind machine the Catalina was.

Cheers 

J-W

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Very nice! Your build recalled how beauty and one in the kind machine the Catalina was.

Cheers 

J-W

Cheers Jerzy,......the Cat was certainly one of a kind wasn`t it,......... like a modernised version of some of the earlier inter war US Navy `boats'. 

Looks great! Awesome work as usual :clap:

My dad and I have a 1/48 PBY-5 and a -5A in our stash, planning an Australian scheme too some day with Aussie Decals, but the wingspan of 65cm....

39 minutes ago, Reini78 said:

Looks great! Awesome work as usual :clap:

My dad and I have a 1/48 PBY-5 and a -5A in our stash, planning an Australian scheme too some day with Aussie Decals, but the wingspan of 65cm....

Cheers,..... good luck with yours,..... I have a 1/48th scale RCAF Canso planned, using the 5A kit myself. 

Superb pair of Cat`s there Tony, love the black cat scheme esp`