Sd.Kfz. 165 Hummel - ### calling it finished ###

Robert Stuart

Now we've added grass, not the usual scatter, but plush.  Syntetic plush is faux fur fabric, often used on teddy-bears (and similar animals).  The main advantage to plush is that it comes in longer lengths than scatter, this one starts is about 35 or 40 mm

The grass has been 'mown' after sticking it on, and paint will follow - when the glue has had a chance to set ... and today's rain has cleared.

2018-pz-iv-085.jpg

2018-pz-iv-087.jpg

Also added are some 'boulders'

2018-pz-iv-086.jpg

Obvious in these pictures is the bandage texture - that I'll deal with later (when I have developed a plan).

Also visible is a problem with the heavy tree: the bark is kitchen paper, which looks great, but ... the paint is cracking off as the tree moves.

• Like 2

Hi Robert. When I used to build model railways and take them to exhibitions I used to see some wonderful landscapes created where faux fur fabric's were used. I have never tried any so I'm looking forward to seeing yours as it develops. Looking good so far.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks Stix,

For a while, I did wonder if this fur wass too fine, but after applying some paint ( strongly influenced by the Badder school of layers) it now looks like this ...

2018-pz-iv-089.jpg

2018-pz-iv-088.jpg

Those bald patches / flat areas of colour in the road are me being over-generous with filling my airbrush, then letting the paint slop out - rain permitting, I'll have another look at those tomorrow. Some of the hard edges of the grass will also want to be dealt with..

• Like 2

Thanks Stix

Some of the grass has now been mowed, the hard edges given attention, and a few rocks added

2018-pz-iv-090.jpg

With the Hummel ...

2018-pz-iv-092.jpg

Next will be some foliage on the trees ... 4:06 today, went to a local model rail-road scenery store (they focus on US outline), only to find they close at 4:00.  RL means I'm not sure If I can visit that supplier before Sunday and the end of this GB :(

Talking of dead lines, I doubt I'll have time to finish any of my figures this week-end ...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hi Robert. Sorry you missed actually getting into the model shop - hope it's not going to hinder progress on the base too much. :fingerscrossed:

Whatever you do - even if the base isn't finished and there are no figures - at least make sure your wonderful Hummel makes it into the gallery!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Robert,

Great grass.

Shame about the shop being closed. Silly closing time,

Maybe you could steal a cushion from your sofa, take the foam out and rip that up into little pieces for the foliage?

It's a shame you haven't got time for the figures, but the diorama is looking very promising and will look excellent when finished,, I'm sure.

But don't worry! Whilst it's always great to see a 'beast' in a diorama, or an AFV complete with crew, I personally cast my vote judging the vehicle alone. Otherwise, those who have 'diorama-time' on their hands will have an unfair advantage. SOME of us have 27 cats to feed and 35 dogs to walk, and other such stupid things that get in the way.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

It is a pity to hear that maybe it is not to your liking for lack of time, I also included figures, because although I had them, I am a "denied", and I would need much, much, more time ... to do something decent. 

Cheers mate 👍

• Like 1

A phone call just before I set out this morning meant that my plans for today (Friday) changed - mixed views on that, today's trip will have to be delayed until Tuesday.

The upside is that I could, not only, buy some scenic materials, but apply them ...

This is foliage clusters,

2018-pz-iv-093.jpg

The image above shows some paper towel protecting the base from dripping glue

2018-pz-iv-094.jpg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Really nice trees!, looks fantastic, the trunk will you paint it or will you do some process? ...

Cheers mate 👍

Thanks Francis

Possibly if time and weather permit.  I need to spray a harmonisation coat onto the leaves first, but ... it is too windy to paint outdoors just now, and the forecast this week-end isn't hopeful.

As to colours, my local common has a range of trees.  This image taken in January shows beech and birch and one brown tree (oak I think).  The green leaves are probably holly ...

2018-pz-iv-096.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Robert,

Great to see your trees dressed up in time for the gallery.

Possibly, it's a bit hard to tell from the photos, but I'd say the foliage looks great as it is and doesn't require 'harmonizing'. In an emergency, I will open my patio door, hold whatever it is that needs spraying just outside (behind a windbreak, if needs be) and spray with the AB that way. For such items as trees you can afford to be less accurate than you would be with an AFV. Just blast the paint/varnish on!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Great work on the trees Robert! Not far to the finish line now! 🤞

Kind regards,

Stix 

Tomorrow?  I think I have enough to kludge through with some photos ... I'll see what can be done tonight.

43 minutes ago, Badder said:

Possibly, it's a bit hard to tell from the photos, but I'd say the foliage looks great as it is and doesn't require 'harmonizing'.

I could get away with them, but the greens look wrong to my eye.  I may have to try your 'emergency' measure - at least the wind is due to be calmer by 8-10 mph tomorrow ...

• Like 1

A sunny day?  A sunny day!

Didn't think that was forcast?

I'm calling it for now. There is a LOT of twitching I want to do, but, with the deadline looming ... enough (for now)

Two figures have been added:

2018-pz-iv-100.jpg

And a little more mud on the running gear

2018-pz-iv-101.jpg

The trees have had additional paint - and in this case a little texture

2018-pz-iv-105.jpg

2018-pz-iv-108.jpg

Did I mention the helmets?  The lifting hoops were a convinient place for the crew to hang their helmets, a common sight

2018-pz-iv-107.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Really nice build Robert, taking nothing away from the hummel, which is superb, the base is awesome, I really like that, well built

Glynn 

Thanks Glynn,

This was my first base for years (decades?), but it went well, and was a positive learning experience.

Are there things I would do differently? Certainly.  

Would I do something similar again?  there's a D-Day GB coming up soon, and I have plans for that ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

there's a D-Day GB coming up soon, and I have plans for that ...

Hope it goes well, Me too, although I'm moving down to 72nd for this, ( and others) 

• Like 2

Hi Robert. Just been checking out your photos in the Gallery. Well done on getting it completed and very well done on the result! It looks superb. The Hummel itself is fantastic and the base and figures set it off beautifully! I'm really pleased you had a go at a base after so long and that it was a positive experience.  :thumbsup::clap2::thumbsup:

I will watch out for your D-Day build!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

Hi Robert,

I did pop in and have a look at your 'Finished' photos yesterday and was well impressed! I didn't have time to comment though - and as it turns out, that 5mins I saved turned out to be critical to my own thread!

Your diorama then: The natural outdoor lighting really brings out the lovely colours and effects you've created.  It's a great little scene with some lovely camera-angles through those fantastic trees. (silver birch is my favourite species and very nice with fish sauce and a white wine) And I have to say that plush is really effective as a dense long grass, made even better with the added colour variations/layers. You'd never get that dense long grass effect with static grass. I'll certainly be looking to kidnap and flay teddy bears in the future!

On a personal note, it's been great to have your company in the 'Nashorn/Hummel section.' Thanks for showing interest in my thread;  for the suggestions, and for all of the kind comments, which meant a lot.

I will see you in the Tiger STGB

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Hello Badder

Thank-you for taking the time to look yesterday - from both Stix comments and your own, I gather you ran close to the wire last night and really shouldn't have been browsing before posting to the gallery.

Having said which, you are in, and running joint top of the poll as I write, so well done.

Eating silver birch?  I never thought of that ... googled it and found a site that discusses eating parts of various trees and shrubs including silver birch.

Plush: attacking teady-bears would be an expensive approach (not to say unpopular in this house) ... evil-bay will yield better results.  If you know somebody who likes sewing, you may find an ample (and free) source of the material (experience talking here).

The Tiger STGB? I hadn't thought about it.  That would haver to be a quick build, there's less than three weeks between the starts of the Tiger STGB and D-Day GB (and I can't dodge D-Day) ...

... but a turreted vehicle should be easier than an open top ... shouldn't it? Shouldn't it?

• Like 1