1/48 Focke Wulf Fw-190 Anton

One-Two

In the meantime I realized that although I finished the painting stage for the Eduard A5 also, I completely forgot about the auxiliary gas tank.

The Eduard instructions says that Walter Kohne's Fw190A5 was equipped, at the time of its deployment to Deelen/Holland, with WGr 21 rocket launchers under the wings but also with auxiliary tank.

As I said earlier, I seriously doubt that at that time this machine was equipped with the auxiliary tank, but since I made this research only after I installed the rack under the wing, now I have no option than to go for the auxiliary tank also.

The problem is this auxiliary tank had some sort of metal strip which was used in order to secure it to the rack, besides the 4 connection points with the rack itself. Well, Eduad had represented this metal belt molded-on the upper part of the auxiliary tank, and I don't like at all this approach. 

d8f15410-cef7-4f54-932e-30cb7e45b620.jpg

So I removed it completely I I have to see later on how I will represent it in a better way.

I also detailed a little bit the auxiliary tank support and some pipes for the incoming/outgoing gas circuit.

66cde532-8f98-494d-a176-f089b7e81df4.jpg

fe37144b-e65f-43ad-a4a9-d4ca6ecf0c45.jpg

Now I have to see how to represent that metal strip which was coming around the tank and I can go further on with the painting stage.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Christer A said:

A little strip job after a bank holiday?

Great stuff!

But seriously, these two Wurgers arae looking better by the minute. I'm in awe.

Well, no holiday for me, Christer:)

However, I was also working on the Hasegawa A4 and I'm happy the report that this bad boy is finally ready for the shelf.

79646fdb-ecf5-4ea0-9394-b4dd8de14331.jpg

6b6270bd-289d-47a4-9891-cbe0cc8d2b50.jpg

33f941e8-e4de-4ea3-a32c-bbaa32a3c27d.jpg6dcf6a01-4532-41cd-b78c-b28f73db2fed.jpg6211308f-a781-4779-b560-6f36d6e6605c.jpg508d0ca8-366d-4f73-ad82-817efc1f257d.jpg32bd2bda-379d-4a23-ba4d-a889046019e9.jpg

More pictures in RFI here.

Hope you'll like it.

Thanks a lot for your interest and kind words.

Now hopefully I'll be able to finish pretty soon the Eduard A5 also.

• Like 6

On 25/04/2019 at 10:47, One-Two said:

Hope you'll like it.

I certainly do, a very impressive build and paint job.  It also answers a lot of problems that I have had building the "old" Eduard FW 190's, I have 12 to build, from A-5 to A-9, but following Eduards instructions was obviously the mistake that I was making, so Thank You for the solution.  I have a load of the "new" FW 190 kits from Eduard, and yes they are so much better, I hope to show some finished pictures soon.  Have you tried the Tamiya FW 190 A models? they go together nicely, and with some AM look good.

Regards

Bob

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Ok after a short pause it's time to go on with the remaining 190, namely Walter Kohne's A5.

Auxiliary tank finished (tank+tank mount+fuel lines):

spacer.png

Main pieces of the landing gear are also ready:

spacer.png

Hope to be back soon with some more progress.

Cheers to all and thanks for looking

I have finished the main work on the A5 airframe.

At the time of this particular 190 (summer 1943), JG1 was working from large and very well equipped west-European airfields and the airplanes were pretty well maintained.

Therefore the only weathering applied to the model  was some exhaust fumes and some oil spilling on the lower engine cover.

Everything was sealed with Tamiya semi-gloss clear, minus the wheel wells and the exhaust areas, where I used flat clear.

The MG17 and MG151 barrels are from the dedicated metal Master barrels set - highly recommended, they are far superior to any plastic barrels.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Nearly there:)

Soon to RFI, I hope.

Thanks for looking and cheers.

• Like 4

Finally finished, more pictures on RFI here.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Despite its dreaded reputation, this is a very good kit overall and I really enjoyed building it.

Compared with the Hasegawa A4, the old-tooled Eduard 190 Anton is far superior, in almost every respect.

Yes indeed, the old-tooled Eduard Fw190 is over-engineered and unnecessarily complicated. 

But treated with care and patience and planning and dry-fitting before every move, I discovered that the kit is amazingly precise for such a complex model.

The fit was very good to excellent all the way, the only flagrant exception being the MG151 covers.

Besides the before-mentioned cannon covers, the only other major problems of the kit were:

- the vertical stabilizer leading edge is too thick (very ease to solve);

- I didn't liked the attachment system of the main gear legs. The position and geometry of the FW190 landing gear was pretty complex and the attachment system designed by Eduard is not up to the standard of this kit. In fact, this is the only area in which I have found the Hasegawa kit to be superior. 

Otherwise, this is a really great kit.

Thank you all for watching and for your kind comments.

Cheers.     

• Like 7