A Christmas Eve Spitfire +++ COMPLETED +++

BIG X

Good morning one & all.  Well it’s Christmas Eve and everything in the BIG X household is prepared for “the big day”.  So with a bit of time on my hands - what could be more fun than an Airfix starter set to keep me entertained.

XMAS001.jpg

In true childhood style I’m aiming to knock this together before teatime in what you might call a Christmas “Donner & Blitzen” build.  I ‘acquired’ a few of these sets last year on the ALDI special offer and they have been residing at the back of the stash for 12 months now.

XMAS002.jpg

With their distinctive ‘black / white’ underside I had intended to do them as 92SQN aircraft – in the Battle of France period.  However – upon closer inspection the basic decal sheet doesn’t contain any stencils.  It is a starter set after all…

XMAS003.jpg

XMAS004.jpg

I was counting on using the white stencils on the black wing – but alas I needed to re-think things.  So for an outlay of around a fiver as I remember I’ve decided to turn this particular Spitfire into an ‘ornament’.

• Like 3

With a lovely clean Christmas bench it's time to get going if we are going to be finished before teatime.  First job on - remove the 'freebies'...

XMAS005.jpg

...not forgetting the 'Flying hour'...

XMAS006.jpg

I really have no idea why I keep these - I've looked into using them - but it all seems like a lot of fuss...

XMAS007.jpg

The paints and glue are going in the bin - but I will keep the brush...

XMAS008.jpg

...and the decals can go in the spares box - I'm sure the roundels will come in useful at some point...

XMAS009.jpg

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

I don't know why, but this took me back to the days of the Airfix bagged kits, which was probably before your time.

John

Oh I'm a little older than you think. :blush: I may act like a four year old most of the time - but you can add another fifty on to that.  I loved the bagged kits - back in the late sixties & my dear old dad used to pick me one up from the local newsagents, on his way home from work, on a weekly basis.

Happy Days & Merry Christmas to you John 🎅

7 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great idea. Good luck with your build against the clock. 

Have a great time on the build and hope you have a wonderful Christmas too and all the BM ers as well

All the best

Chris

Merry BIG X-mas to you too Chris.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure we are all familiar with this super little kit...

XMAS011.jpg

...and I did build one last year...

XMAS012.jpg

XMAS013.jpg

I seem to remember I spent weeks on it and thoroughly enjoyed myself too.

For this one I'm throwing the instructions in the bin and going 'old school'...

XMAS014.jpg

...my 'inner child' is itching to just stick everything together as fast as possible. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The only disappointment in the kit is probably the pilot...

XMAS015.jpg

...the shot maybe a bit blurred - but the detail is very ropey to say the least and why he needs so many sprue gates is beyond me.

Anyway - time to get chopping.  Back in the day I seem to remember using tiny nail scissors and a nail file - I think that was the extent of my 'tool box' in the 1960's. :D

I've fished out all the bits I don't need...

XMAS016.jpg

I'm going wheels up with a spinning prop and an opaque canopy - so these can go into the spares box...

XMAS018.jpg

...all neatly bagged of course.

• Like 1

So this is what I'm left with...

XMAS019.jpg

...and a bit of excess sprue of course...

XMAS017.jpg

The glue is open and it's time for the first splash.  This tiny light can go straight into underside...

XMAS020.jpg

Normally I'd be VERY CAREFUL and use a tiny dab of PVA - but today it's liquid poly all the way...

XMAS021.jpg

...and so we're off!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, neil5208 said:

Have you got a stop watch running?

No stop watch I'm afraid - I'm just counting on the BM massive to 'chivvy me along' if I start flagging Neil

XMAS022.jpg

I don't need to paint the bottom of the cockpit - but I momentarily considered blanking off the gun ports...

XMAS023.jpg

...but I decided against it.  Still I won't have to put those pesky red gun patches on the front of the wings - that will save me a day at least :lol:

XMAS024.jpg

I don't need to paint the wheel wells either - more time saved.  But I do need to chop and clean these up...

XMAS025.jpg

...back shortly.

• Like 1

Good grief Steve a blitz build indeed! Tea time you say? I'll be watching and egging you on throughout the day in between wrapping the millions of presents we said we weren't buying this year 😂

Looking forward to what you do with her mate. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Antb said:

Good grief Steve a blitz build indeed! Tea time you say? I'll be watching and egging you on throughout the day in between wrapping the millions of presents we said we weren't buying this year 😂

Looking forward to what you do with her mate. 

I know what you mean about the prezzies Ant - we don't have kids of our own - but we do have a nephew / niece and now four great nieces...

...Madame X finished work on Wednesday though and so she got busy on the wrapping front - saving me a job. :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I know what you mean about the prezzies Ant - we don't have kids of our own - but we do have a nephew / niece and now four great nieces...

...Madame X finished work on Wednesday though and so she got busy on the wrapping front - saving me a job. :whistle:

Allowing you time on the spit no less. She's a good one 😁

• Like 1

These are now all cleaned and ready to go...

XMAS026.jpg

Now I need to fill the holes in the nose cone...

XMAS027.jpg

...as it is going to need a couple of fills and needs to set before I can polish it flat.  The tops of the wings are on and the sunshine streaming in through the window has warmed the room up a treat - with things setting pretty quickly. 

XMAS028.jpg

The fuselage is together and the biggest time save is not having to do anything with the cockpit...

XMAS029.jpg

Do you remember the old days when all you got was a seat which dropped onto a couple of locators and that was the cockpit done???  It's amazing how things have changed and how much time we spend on the cockpit area - which after 'buttoning up' is almost invisible.  I've just noticed the central seam id going to need some filler...

XMAS030.jpg

i hope that doesn't slow me down.

• Like 1

The filler is on...

XMAS035.jpg

But whilst this is setting I've got to work on the underside.  Here are the some total of the remaining bits...

XMAS031.jpg

...I'm still hoping for a tea-time finish.  Mustn't forget the nose cone though...

XMAS036.jpg

This is going to need a second session.

• Like 1

Undercarriage leg 1...

XMAS032.jpg

...and another...

XMAS033.jpg

...then the radiators...

XMAS034.jpg

...time for a spot of lunch - whilst the filler hardens up - catch you after a couple of dinky pork pies and a sausage roll - it must be Christmas. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Really motoring now, and with acrylic paint you won't have to wait too long between coats, I use a hairdryer on mine to speed things up.

Have a great Christmas.

John

Just now, John D.C. Masters said:

This looks like a fun thing to do whilst one waits for Father Christmas...

Hey John & John - I've just finished wiping up the crumbs - boy those sausage rolls are flaky...

With no need for any masking and just a primer and final coat - both from rattle cans - the painting should take no time at all.  Father Christmas will be well on his way now and our Antipodean members may already be cracking open their prezzies as we speak - so no time to waste.

The filler has dried and after a quick sanding I think it looks good enough for my purposes...

XMAS037.jpg

I've just got the rudder on and I'm thinking I may just add an actuator - as shown in blue...

XMAS038.jpg

I must brush up that filler dust though.

The tail wheel is on - normally I would have spent ages trying to paint the tyre black - but not today...

XMAS039.jpg

Next up - the stabilizers...

XMAS040.jpg

...and the canopy of course...

XMAS041.jpg

back very shortly. 

• Like 1

With no gloss coat and no decals - more time saved - but anyway - here is the nose cone...

XMAS042.jpg

...it was still showing slight signs of 'sinking' - but I've just applied another smear of PPP...

XMAS043.jpg

...and I think it's nearly there.  The wings are on BTW...

XMAS044.jpg

The exhausts are on as well - so we are down to the finishing touches - the aerial...

XMAS045.jpg

...the pitot...

XMAS046.jpg

...heaven knows how long that will last :lol:

• Like 3

I bet you thought I'd forgotten that actuator - well I had :blush:  It was a suggestion from @Stew Dapple as I remember in my previous Spitfire build.  This takes the build from OOB to a 'scratchbuild' project :mental:  Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it :whistle:

Here it is...

XMAS048.jpg

XMAS049.jpg

...'proper modelling' eh ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, clive_t said:

Great stuff, go for it!

Erm...  what time's tea? :D

Hi Clive - daylight is running out fast.  It's only 3pm - but it's 'time to prime' - I reckon tea will be around 5pm - so no time to waste eh.

XMAS050.jpg

XMAS051.jpg

I'm using the trusty Halfords Grey - which takes no time at all to dry - so I'll see you soon - I hope.

• Like 2