PZW-72 RWD-8, or the Christmas at the inlaws modeling challenge

Dear Moa

As I wrote some time ago, you are an inspiration! There's a (modeling) life beyond 109, 190, 51, 47, 38, Mk this, or that!

And you do your research on those "weirdos" :-)) 👍

I've got a :48 RWD-8 "in waiting". Wings are ribbed like a starved dog. That will get the same treatment as your's 72. When I get to it, though...

Took me years, to figure-out the aileron linkage setup, it's tricky around center wing 🙂

Now it's just about the throttle.

Maybe you got something better, but I suspect - it was just a long rod, with an "offshoot stick" with a ball in both cabins.

No quadrant. Just push - pull.

Maybe GrzeM can add his knowledge to it?

Anyway! Great to look again at your output! And All The Best 4 2019!! Regards

Zig

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zigster said:

Dear Moa

As I wrote some time ago, you are an inspiration! There's a (modeling) life beyond 109, 190, 51, 47, 38, Mk this, or that!

And you do your research on those "weirdos" :-)) 👍

I've got a :48 RWD-8 "in waiting". Wings are ribbed like a starved dog. That will get the same treatment as your's 72. When I get to it, though...

Took me years, to figure-out the aileron linkage setup, it's tricky around center wing 🙂

Now it's just about the throttle.

Maybe you got something better, but I suspect - it was just a long rod, with an "offshoot stick" with a ball in both cabins.

Maybe GrzeM can add his knowledge to it?

Anyway! Great to look again at your output! And All The Best 4 2019!! Regards

Zig

Hi Zig

I got some small drawings, will try to post later as work permits.

Cheers

15 minutes ago, Moa said:

Hi Zig

These excerpts come from a plan made by Felix Pawlowicz in Melbourne.

I hope I am not upsetting anyone posting these, I found them on the Net.

Hope this helps. As you can see, it's actually two little sticks.

46573359251_0906412936_b.jpg

45659075625_ecdfaa2b5e_b.jpg

• Like 1

The flying surfaces look nice now:

IMG_1526+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The fuselage halves are united:

IMG_1524+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A noticeable detail not seen in this kit is a prominent exposed tank located under the fuselage on the left hand side. The section is thus cut out to make one according to photographs:

IMG_1525+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Edited by Moa
  • Like 4

The control surfaces are separated and the horns form the photo-etched fret are glued in place. The scratched tank can be seen to the left:

IMG_1530+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I added a cylinder behind the air intake, but notice that the kit sort of provides one on the locating block of the nose tip -where the arrow is pointing) which I erased since I didn't need it anymore.
The fact that nose tip and nose base with exhausts and cylinder are so cleverly provided by this old kit makes you wonder why contemporary manufacturers don't adopt such clever solutions to avoid seams where you don't want them, and help with detail:

IMG_1531+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Moa. I know those plans. Throttle/mixture combo is a bit fancy for a basic trainer though, maybe some DWL for aero clubs had it? There were plenty variations of a basic airframe.

Have look here:

http://odkrywca.pl/forum_pics/picsforum27/_57_2_copy306.jpg

Now you have to employ a spider to do all those fuse to tail steering links :-))

Zig

• Thanks 2

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 01:23, Moa said:

This is for me the most fastidious stage: priming, sanding, puttying, sanding, oh the inexhaustible layers, akin to political coverup. Darn!

Exactly how I feel about the Albatross at the moment. I have got to the stage of using much stronger expletives about it though! :angrysoapbox.sml:

Empathetic of Mars  👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Moa said:

Oh, go ahead, unleash your tongue (tongues?), nobody speaks Martian here anyway. Not even the moderators (but are they from another planet too?)

I think this might be the time to quote what you colonial types call the Fifth Amendment.

Martian the Cautious 👽

• Haha 1

The aftermarket photoetched set provides a couple of control levers that very prominently are located at the fuselage sides and handle the elevator cables. The kit provides them too, but of course the P.E. are more to scale. They are given axles made of discarded drill bits, always useful to have in the spares bin:

IMG_1637+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The landing gear is glued on, as well as the handles and the photoetched assembly that replaces the kit's tailskid:

IMG_1638+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The cabane struts are added. the remaining four short struts that connect fuselage with wing are going to be made of airfoiled brass, replacing in turn the kit ones that won't do (the kit's long wing V struts will be utilized, though):

IMG_1639+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 5

The penny has just dropped that the late mother of a friend of mine once told me how she worked as a seamstress at the RWD factory prior to WW2, helping to do the fabric work on these aircraft and how the young girls often used their charms to cadge flights off of the factory test pilots. Oddly, she had never told her daughter this story but knowing my interest in aviation thought it was something I would like to hear. She was a truly remarkable lady who managed to escape from German occupied Poland to Sweden and from there, via a B17 flight, to this country.

Martian 👽

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

The penny has just dropped that the late mother of a friend of mine once told me how she worked as a seamstress at the PZW factory prior to WW2, helping to do the fabric work on these aircraft and how the young girls often used their charms to cadge flights off of the factory test pilots. Oddly, she had never told her daughter this story but knowing my interest in aviation thought it was something I would like to hear. She was a truly remarkable lady who managed to escape from German occupied Poland to Sweden and from there, via a B17 flight, to this country.

Martian 👽

Nice addition of an historical note to the thread, Martian, thanks!

Note, though, that this a RWD machine, not a PZW one. Not sure if they were related (besides being Polish) regarding production or facilities.

Unless you meant RWD and made a typo, of course.

• Like 1