Gloster Gladiator dive bombers

leyreynolds

I would make a reasonably informed guess that they were the Light Store Carriers used on many prewar and wartime aircraft, not least the first Hurribombers, which were also in the desert.  However I suspect the term "dive-bomber" may be overstating the method of delivery.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

East Africa for SAAF Gladiators but not North.  Could have been the Aussies, I think that I have seen some such comment about their Gauntlets.

The Gladiators operated by 6 sqn at Wadi Halfa, between August 1941 to January 1942 certainly seem to have had Light series bomb carriers fitted see here. Photos credited to  Tony W Brooke son of Frank Brooke one of the Transport drivers that delivered 3 Gladiators to Wadi Halfa and Kufra by road  from 112 Sqn to to 6 sqn.  

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

East Africa for SAAF Gladiators but not North.  Could have been the Aussies, I think that I have seen some such comment about their Gauntlets.

Hi Graham,

It was the Gauntlets, not the Gladiators, that were equipped with bomb carriers. In late 1940, No. 3 Sqn RAAF had three flights, one equipped with Lysanders, one with Gauntlets, and one with Gladiators. The flight with Glads was regarded as the fighter flight, the others were Army co-op. The Gauntlet flight did see some active service as 'dive bombers'.

By early 1941, the squadron was fully equipped with Glads. I have not seen a photo of a No. 3 Sqn Glad with bomb carriers - all had the machine guns fitted under the wing. Not proof positive, but indicative. Missions recorded for the Glads were mainly patrol and fighter recce.

796b40a7-89ba-46b6-a7d8-5e4ffe68ec0f.jpg

Alan Rawlinson in Gauntlet, K7793, "Sweet FA". I imagine the racks fitted to the Gladiators mentioned above would have been similar.

• Like 6

On 12/25/2018 at 2:25 AM, Magpie22 said:

796b40a7-89ba-46b6-a7d8-5e4ffe68ec0f.jpg

Alan Rawlinson in Gauntlet, K7793, "Sweet FA". I imagine the racks fitted to the Gladiators mentioned above would have been similar.

Really lovely pic which prompts a few questions:

1.  The aircraft is still wearing black/white underwing recognition markings.  Do we know if the fuselage underside was painted black/white or did it retain the aluminium dope?

2.  Other pics of 3 Sqn Gauntlets appear to show the 2-blade prop but this has a 3-blade unit.  We're the aircraft retrofitted or did the Sqn operate a mixed bag with both props in use?

3.  Was the name "Sweet FA" ever painted onto the airframe?  If so, I presume it was on the port fuselage?